The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

I have heard good things about Ribble too but they are in the UK and while I think they do business in the states I wasn't convinced it was worthwhile especially since I got a good deal from a LBS which is always my first preference

Reactions: Tig
I see tons of BD bikes around town. My wife has a Cafe 8 that I bought from BD and assembled at home.

The bike arrived with all of the drivetrain and brake components already installed. Final assembly is really basic and the only specialized tool that I used was a pedal wrench (which depending on the pedals in question you dont really even need).

Obviously for the price they charge there are some compromises and lower grade parts, outside of the component group & branded parts the bike is marketed with.....and some of those parts are laughably low quality; like the platform pedals the bike shipped with were pure garbage. But for the price, those upgrades are a no-brainer.

The frame does not exhibit any cost cutting measures. The welds are all clean and tidy, all the threaded lugs/braze-ons have clean proper threads and none of the pre-installed parts were cross-threaded or show any signs of sloppy install work.

Yesterday I bought a new bike. New to me, at least - it's a mid-00's Giant TCR with a carbon frame and Ultegra components. The gentleman selling it is no longer physically able to ride, and so I also got all of his bike stuff, including two pairs of shoes, lots of tires and tubes, tools, two helmets, a nice pump, a bunch of jerseys ... all in tremendous shape. I took it for a quick 10 minute spin and it just handles beautifully. He asked $650 for all that bcos Albuquerque and he's a nice guy, and I feel blessed.

_LdswlRZLy17n0aZJ_FvFBeTzmqv1QPMSrMiHZFyhVZzxW5UI5VSCG4dLN2smp33gVJVw8yTo0bzaRCP9BU6R5cgV1q0SVULsZag6m3Cla0ctTO8xDgQtFMukbBFtS3qE4vf5C7K4p2QN-deyurl7p35Y4luaBvNZuHIC2oHkIH9f_0dV97XGHI8l5ndWl76Z-CVnFmLXhfxd_YP_TCt4j-kUu2sfohP_iZ3b8xNprzUv304Wx85vJcoMVEXBrI3VlxJl7IKIi6RCPJ3PX4Y2S4aJWaU3jKX_cFlqxWHWxBw6h4_VF6WtvO8VLWR87C7qPHDKLaSU-GZItHplDU_efXCSoehlytV1wUb__gvj_vAidgMWi8_cmrd-HRariLXhfcYftD9M0q8Q2dvH6w0bhABA2OSD4G2O_qVP1QtoMbeIeNlo-LjYgQSPg-zQPM_wBhhBous0voz-CcK9QsQwixSfzyPvNE9EpF-Rdn9RseeBzSVC1Sb-t-XmEZeXaVz4ALHcoexMxP3SdnQJrtRmM_HBaA4c06-2oJE5MgHPnSlD-sX3IdEtRkhDtjHxPO9yT84xJhySdTRy2ra9LvgB0CqnPoxwUFCy8X21qVwh5W1SJ17Z7O8jsn4hYJ58jD5CbCCjQLBTU1n03IhbkA96EepTO_BggE=w1185-h888-no

We'll have to get stuff sorted (I'll probably seek out a larger front ring, currently 53/39 and this is ... not close), but It. Just. Handles. So. Nicely.

Bonus: Bike once belonged to Andy Rosen, some bigwig in CO cycling. I don't care too much, but since I have a wheel set built by Sheldon Browne weeks before he died, and this, it's nice to feel connected (humbly and anonymously) to cycling history.

Yesterday I bought a new bike. New to me, at least - it's a mid-00's Giant TCR with a carbon frame and Ultegra components. The gentleman selling it is no longer physically able to ride, and so I also got all of his bike stuff, including two pairs of shoes, lots of tires and tubes, tools, two helmets, a nice pump, a bunch of jerseys ... all in tremendous shape. I took it for a quick 10 minute spin and it just handles beautifully. He asked $650 for all that bcos Albuquerque and he's a nice guy, and I feel blessed.

_LdswlRZLy17n0aZJ_FvFBeTzmqv1QPMSrMiHZFyhVZzxW5UI5VSCG4dLN2smp33gVJVw8yTo0bzaRCP9BU6R5cgV1q0SVULsZag6m3Cla0ctTO8xDgQtFMukbBFtS3qE4vf5C7K4p2QN-deyurl7p35Y4luaBvNZuHIC2oHkIH9f_0dV97XGHI8l5ndWl76Z-CVnFmLXhfxd_YP_TCt4j-kUu2sfohP_iZ3b8xNprzUv304Wx85vJcoMVEXBrI3VlxJl7IKIi6RCPJ3PX4Y2S4aJWaU3jKX_cFlqxWHWxBw6h4_VF6WtvO8VLWR87C7qPHDKLaSU-GZItHplDU_efXCSoehlytV1wUb__gvj_vAidgMWi8_cmrd-HRariLXhfcYftD9M0q8Q2dvH6w0bhABA2OSD4G2O_qVP1QtoMbeIeNlo-LjYgQSPg-zQPM_wBhhBous0voz-CcK9QsQwixSfzyPvNE9EpF-Rdn9RseeBzSVC1Sb-t-XmEZeXaVz4ALHcoexMxP3SdnQJrtRmM_HBaA4c06-2oJE5MgHPnSlD-sX3IdEtRkhDtjHxPO9yT84xJhySdTRy2ra9LvgB0CqnPoxwUFCy8X21qVwh5W1SJ17Z7O8jsn4hYJ58jD5CbCCjQLBTU1n03IhbkA96EepTO_BggE=w1185-h888-no

We'll have to get stuff sorted (I'll probably seek out a larger front ring, currently 53/39 and this is ... not close), but It. Just. Handles. So. Nicely.

Bonus: Bike once belonged to Andy Rosen, some bigwig in CO cycling. I don't care too much, but since I have a wheel set built by Sheldon Browne weeks before he died, and this, it's nice to feel connected (humbly and anonymously) to cycling history.

Sounds great. I wish I could see the photo, but it isn't viewable for me.

Nor can I

you are lucky to find a bike that fits you with shoes/jerseys etc. It took me forever to find a single pair of bike shoes that would fit. I think I tried on every pair the stores I went too had.

Are you saying the front ring is 53/39 and you want bigger? Or did I misunderstand? I understood that 53/39 was a standard crank but they aren't as popular as they used to be (my early 80's bike has one my 2013 Cannondale has a compact). The Cannondale is MUCH faster and MUCH MUCH easier to climb with. Hills I nearly died going up with the old bike or couldn't make it at all were easy to doable with the compact crank

The pic was copied and pasted, let me know if it still hasn't shown up.

Yeah, I understand the trend towards smaller front rings, but remember you're talking to a guy who likes his tires at 140; I just like stuff the way I like it. And I don't do steep climbs; the few times I do climbs they tend to be very long (3+ miles) and around 3-5%. A slog, in other words, and my lowest gear is fine for that.

OTOH, every now and again I like speed, serious 30+ mph speed, and as an old fat guy there's no way that's happening without a corn cob and 53 up front.

What I was really having a hard time finding was a 'nice' bike with a 56 frame that I could sit on first. This was literally my first one, and I have to laugh. The guy who sold it lives up in some hills, and as I was climbing back to his house the bike handled ridiculously well while standing on the pedals. Handled well on the downhill, too. And the level cross-street. It's just a great handling bike.

These are my first electronic shifters, and I'm not sure I like them. We'll see after some time in the saddle.

I started going through everything he included, and new it would have cost around $2,800, conservatively. He was just like "here, take this, too." At one point he tried to give me a 60's vintage wheel set, but I already have that Peugot XP-10 "up on blocks" and don't need more clutter. Someone else needs those more than me.

I've done some nice things for strangers, and definitely feel that this was part of the karma wheel turning, but I wish I could somehow recognize this guy's generosity and kindness. I know I'm going to send him a happy thank you and appreciation email.

Hope I get this lucky buying a car.

Wanted to post separately on a weird topic.

This summer I am doing a lot around the house and so not riding anywhere near as much (about 2x/week instead of 4-5). And it's felt like it - I have not lost as much weight as I need, and I've been slower on rides.

In the past, when I am "into" my riding, I pay some attention to speed / times / etc. Nowhere near as much as others, but I do look at Strava when I stop for breaks, etc. This summer, I deliberately didn't look - thought it was self-defeating, etc.

So, yesterday I went out in 102 degree heat (be glad if you don't experience this WITH high-UV exposure, it's fucking brutality) and .... wound up ticking off a bunch of really fast times (for me). This is not a humble brag - I'm genuinely confused as to why I was flying.

All of the usual reason for a fast ride - good weather; tailwind (ABQ has merciless winds); felt great that morning; ... none of it was true. And I wasn't even riding the new bike (bcos not done tweaking yet). I wasn't even in a good mood when I started, part of why I was stupidly out in the midday heat.

Why does that happen? Does that happen for anyone else?

The frames sold on BikesDirect look as crappy as their website. :corksniffer:
I am picky.
:cs:
My buddy has a full suspension MTB from BD, a "Motobecane" which to me is a travesty of that time honored name. I got to ride a buddy's early 80's steel Motobecane racing bike in college. I loved that bike. This one is heavy, has no routing for a dropper post, and the geometry just feels weird. It is all XT and has a Pike, but it still just does not seem right to me.

This is his.
312895746110035669aec4b575168c8f.jpg

This is mine.
c06e67bd4bb7186bd21fe4cf33f8b08f.jpg

Not sure why his feels so weird but it does. One thing is the top tube/reach seems way too short. Anyway, I just am not all that impressed. Though for a townie, or a basic pedaling around 10 speed, I am sure they would be fine.

Last edited:

Awesome. My road bike is @Tig 's mid-00's Merckx which is Aluminum with carbon front and rear, and is built up with Ultregra as well.

Sheldon Browne built wheels!!??? :100:

I still use Sheldon Brown's website for all kinds of techie information.

His gear calculator remains the best when you want to compare cassettes and chain ring choices. I use "gear inches" instead of "gain ratios" since my brain is wired for it after so many years.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
I used that to figure out my front chain ring on my one-by set up on my Kona. I settled on a chain ring that gives me all but the lowest gear I had on my old Gary Fisher Triple, with the same SRAM spacings on the cassette. I really don't need the highest gears (on the triple, for mountain biking. Only got used on a downhill on road race back to the cars. Not applicable for me out on the trails) and so the stock 32T chain-ring didn't give me enough low end for climbing. Maybe after I wear out my current drive train, I will get the 1x12 and add a taller gear back in. But there seems to be a pretty big jump on that 1x12 cassette between the lowest and next gear. Would be nice if they offered one with closer spacing.

Last edited:
@sunvalleylaw I 'get' what you're saying about Motobecane's name, but I had the Nomade Sprint and rode others, and it doesn't really bug me. My mom had a 10-speed with a mixte frame that was pure bullshit, carrying their name. I'm just glad to see the name still existing on a bicycle meant to be ridden.

Here is my Sheldon Browne story.

It is some time circa 2000, and I am an active person living in first-ring suburban Boston (read: residential, not lots of woods, etc.). New place was near the trail system, not near a good gym, so I decide to get back into biking. Dad's ancient Peugot XP-10 needs some help, but hey, I figure, ought to be roadworthy.*

One night I am driving home from the grocery and see a bike store. "I'll stop in," I think.

So I do. I wheel in my Dad's old but clearly well-loved Peugot, and the younger guy at the front smiles. "That's just great, man. Hold on one second." He goes into the back, and returns with a scowling, bearded old guy with a sumo wrestler's build. I'm just wanting to spec out some work to get done, and am starting to feel a little funny because they're far more interested in talking with each other than waiting on me.

Finally the old grumpus says "do you prefer glue on tires?" I say no, and he says "then you're going to need new wheels. Where did you get this?" (he meant not just the very-common Peugot, but all the incredibly high-end after-market upgrades my Dad had put on as he had ridden more and more in the 60's / 70's). I told him about my Dad, and he smiled a little.

"I have a suggestion for you. I have some older rims that have been waiting around for something to do. I could make them into some good solid wheels for you. We'll tune the bike up for you and you'll be able to ride it."

"How much is that going to be?" (I at least had seen enough parts at REI while shopping climbing gear to know that 'nice roadie wheels' were anything but cheap).

"Five hundred dollars."

I can't overstate how much this conversation seemed completely unrooted in any business model or practice. He wouldn't let go of the bike the entire time we were talking; the younger shop guy was looking very awkward ... and I needed a bike, grumpy old fucker or not.

"Well, what about the brakes and the handlebars?" (Bike needed a tune up and handlebar wrap, etc.)

"We'll take care of that."

So I gave them $500, and took off. Going home I thought "geez, that guy's really fucking difficult, how do they do any business?" And I was used to climbing people, who are an acquired taste to put it mildly.

A week later I go back, and younger guy wheels out an extraordinarily clean, gorgeous version of my Dad's bike. It was a turquoise frame, and they've done all the accents in white. The wheels are very no-name, but geez, just so nice. "Wow!" Young guy says "take it for a spin." I go outside, ride around a bit. At one point I see the old grumpy guy peeking at me through a barely-opened side door. I wave; the door closes. What-the-fuck-ever, I think; the bike is rockin', I'm good!

Two weeks later I'm on a ride with a friend. He remarks on how nice the bike came out, and I tell him the story above.

"What bike shop was this??!??!"

"West Newton Wheelworks."

"YOU HAD YOUR BIKE REHABBED AND YOUR WHEELS BUILT BY SHELDON BROWNE!!!!!" And this friend, who was my climbing partner but also a former amateur road racer, just dies laughing. "He HATES people! But he loved your bike!!!"

I still have the WNWW receipt with his angry, fucked up sig at the bottom.

FWIW, if you see Sheldon's death date, that story takes place some time in the 12 months before his death, and I believe much closer, so that will place the year properly.

I used that to figure out my front chain ring on my one-by set up on my Kona. I settled on a chain ring that gives me all but the lowest gear I had on my old Gary Fisher Triple, with the same SRAM spacings on the cassette. I really don't need the highest gears and so the stock 32T chain-ring didn't give me enough low end for climbing. Maybe after I wear out my current drive train, I will get the 1x12 and add a taller gear back in. But there seems to be a pretty big jump on that 1x12 cassette between the lowest and next gear. Would be nice if they offered one with closer spacing.

I always think that if you ride a lot, it would be nice to have some sort of online-thing based on Browne's chart that would allow you to spec out and customize your own cassettes, automatically. I have a jump between my 4th and 5th cog when I'm on the larger front that is super-frustrating - the 4th is "too low" and the 5th "too high" when I'm cruising on flats.

We'll see how the new ride works out.

Sounds great. I wish I could see the photo, but it isn't viewable for me.
Same here on the photo. I LOVE the Sagan photo.
I see tons of BD bikes around town. My wife has a Cafe 8 that I bought from BD and assembled at home.

The bike arrived with all of the drivetrain and brake components already installed. Final assembly is really basic and the only specialized tool that I used was a pedal wrench (which depending on the pedals in question you dont really even need).

Obviously for the price they charge there are some compromises and lower grade parts, outside of the component group & branded parts the bike is marketed with.....and some of those parts are laughably low quality; like the platform pedals the bike shipped with were pure garbage. But for the price, those upgrades are a no-brainer.

The frame does not exhibit any cost cutting measures. The welds are all clean and tidy, all the threaded lugs/braze-ons have clean proper threads and none of the pre-installed parts were cross-threaded or show any signs of sloppy install work.
Yeah, all that was fine on my friend's bike. I just don't like the geo. And the fact they left off any routing for a dropper post, which is clearly necessary and should be spec'ed on that type of bike. The welds and all that looked fine. Thing is heavy, but many non-carbon mountain bikes of that type are.

I still use Sheldon Brown's website for all kinds of techie information.

His gear calculator remains the best when you want to compare cassettes and chain ring choices. I use "gear inches" instead of "gain ratios" since my brain is wired for it after so many years.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

I have used that site but not being a true "biker" most of the stuff is Greek to me. I use those sites mostly so I can fix stuff, especially when it comes to my old bike but gear inches/ratios don't mean a whole lot to me. I do understand that a bigger number on the back means easier and a smaller harder, beyond that :shrug: For you guys as racers/serious riders it is probably a bigger deal and more important

@sunvalleylaw I 'get' what you're saying about Motobecane's name, but I had the Nomade Sprint and rode others, and it doesn't really bug me. My mom had a 10-speed with a mixte frame that was pure bullshit, carrying their name. I'm just glad to see the name still existing on a bicycle meant to be ridden.

Here is my Sheldon Browne story.

It is some time circa 2000, and I am an active person living in first-ring suburban Boston (read: residential, not lots of woods, etc.). New place was near the trail system, not near a good gym, so I decide to get back into biking. Dad's ancient Peugot XP-10 needs some help, but hey, I figure, ought to be roadworthy.*

One night I am driving home from the grocery and see a bike store. "I'll stop in," I think.

So I do. I wheel in my Dad's old but clearly well-loved Peugot, and the younger guy at the front smiles. "That's just great, man. Hold on one second." He goes into the back, and returns with a scowling, bearded old guy with a sumo wrestler's build. I'm just wanting to spec out some work to get done, and am starting to feel a little funny because they're far more interested in talking with each other than waiting on me.

Finally the old grumpus says "do you prefer glue on tires?" I say no, and he says "then you're going to need new wheels. Where did you get this?" (he meant not just the very-common Peugot, but all the incredibly high-end after-market upgrades my Dad had put on as he had ridden more and more in the 60's / 70's). I told him about my Dad, and he smiled a little.

"I have a suggestion for you. I have some older rims that have been waiting around for something to do. I could make them into some good solid wheels for you. We'll tune the bike up for you and you'll be able to ride it."

"How much is that going to be?" (I at least had seen enough parts at REI while shopping climbing gear to know that 'nice roadie wheels' were anything but cheap).

"Five hundred dollars."

I can't overstate how much this conversation seemed completely unrooted in any business model or practice. He wouldn't let go of the bike the entire time we were talking; the younger shop guy was looking very awkward ... and I needed a bike, grumpy old fucker or not.

"Well, what about the brakes and the handlebars?" (Bike needed a tune up and handlebar wrap, etc.)

"We'll take care of that."

So I gave them $500, and took off. Going home I thought "geez, that guy's really fucking difficult, how do they do any business?" And I was used to climbing people, who are an acquired taste to put it mildly.

A week later I go back, and younger guy wheels out an extraordinarily clean, gorgeous version of my Dad's bike. It was a turquoise frame, and they've done all the accents in white. The wheels are very no-name, but geez, just so nice. "Wow!" Young guy says "take it for a spin." I go outside, ride around a bit. At one point I see the old grumpy guy peeking at me through a barely-opened side door. I wave; the door closes. What-the-fuck-ever, I think; the bike is rockin', I'm good!

Two weeks later I'm on a ride with a friend. He remarks on how nice the bike came out, and I tell him the story above.

"What bike shop was this??!??!"

"West Newton Wheelworks."

"YOU HAD YOUR BIKE REHABBED AND YOUR WHEELS BUILT BY SHELDON BROWNE!!!!!" And this friend, who was my climbing partner but also a former amateur road racer, just dies laughing. "He HATES people! But he loved your bike!!!"

I still have the WNWW receipt with his angry, fucked up sig at the bottom.
What a cool story!
I almost ordered some wheels from him years ago. I should have. A wheel built by a master stays true longer and is less likely to break spokes.

Back