The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

It actually looks and sounds too warm for me though it probably colder where you live SVL so it might be more practical than here. My biggest problem when it does get cool is my hands get cold (I don't wear gloves). If we get a place up in Washington I might have to revisit some of my current riding conditions (no rain, no gloves, no riding if it's too cold for shorts). Still not sure I'd ever want wool, too many bad memories of sweaters :grin:
I would work well for fall riding in Western WA, and autumn riding here on cool days, especially after it starts freezing harder at night. Some of the water from our sprinklers froze on the grass and deck this morning, for the first time I noticed this year. I had a soft wool piece from Performance that was a little lighter than this one that I wore forever, and it was surprisingly versatile in its wooliness. Hopefully this one will be the same, for cool days. Good wool is a good layer. The merino stuff such as that made by companies such as SmartWool, and Icebreaker can be very good cold weather layers. I typically wear nordic ski pants of some kind, with a chamois underneath, for cold weather cycling. I don't have any wool pants.

My hands can get cold even in gloves when I am riding in the shade on the days I would likely be wearing this jersey. Would probably at that point be wearing lobster claw type TOKO or SWIX nordic ski gloves, which I use for the mid to late October into November riding. Or if I ever go pedaling around during winter. Sometimes I might wear my lighter nordic ski gloves with fingers. But usually, on a bike, I like the lobster claws. As opposed to the gloves when I am swinging my arms with nordic poles.

Found some photos that I thought were lost.
My Mike Sommer 24" wheeled track bike, early 90's.
44756532012_f3effceb46_z.jpg

1983 SE Quadangle BMX.
One of the first production Haro Freestyle frames is behind it.
44086460684_0804e4946f_z.jpg

Ok, stopped in at the Kona store in Bellingham this weekend, as we were up there visiting my eldest for her 21st. Have been thinking about getting some flats to use at least some of the time. Guess what? Impulse buy.

I now have these pedals and these shoes on the way, along with a fun Kona bigfoot patch for my waterpack. Will give these a go and see how I can learn to control my bike a little better with relying on the clips less for on and off the ground. My still throw my clips back on for long cross country rides, but this should be fun.

10383668x1036965_vSpin.jpg
WahWahPedal_DarkGreen.jpg

Attachments

• kona-wah-wah-2-composite-pedals-forest-green.jpg
    kona-wah-wah-2-composite-pedals-forest-green.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 72
Ok, stopped in at the Kona store in Bellingham this weekend, as we were up there visiting my eldest for her 21st. Have been thinking about getting some flats to use at least some of the time. Guess what? Impulse buy.

I now have these pedals and these shoes on the way, along with a fun Kona bigfoot patch for my waterpack. Will give these a go and see how I can learn to control my bike a little better with relying on the clips less for on and off the ground. My still throw my clips back on for long cross country rides, but this should be fun.
View attachment 43356

See those little steel pins sticking out of the pedals? I have scars in my right shin from similar pedals (see BMX bike photo above).
I actually got to see my shin bone from a few of the holes they made. Lesson: be careful of a back spinning crank and protect those shins!

See those little steel pins sticking out of the pedals? I have scars in my right shin from similar pedals (see BMX bike photo above).
I actually got to see my shin bone from a few of the holes they made. Lesson: be careful of a back spinning crank and protect those shins!
Yeah, I will be careful of that. I was wanting to use the flats and shoes to evolve my riding style a bit. I am trying to get my feet, knees and hips more in the direction of the turn, and my hips out over the top of the bike, allowing me to tip the bike more, keeping weight outside, and upper body more erect, in corners both flat and banked. Essentially, carve the bike more smoothly, with less steering, and not let center of mass get inside or to the rear. I had developed a habit of tipping in a little or getting inside, and was getting a light and loose front wheel sometimes. Also, want to learn to use the bike and suspension more in controlling the bike on and off the ground (not that I huck, or ever will huck) without just pulling up on my pedals with my clips.

Planning on using this set up more when I ride the lifts, or go out to the closer into town flowy type trails with banks and little jumps and the like. I wore some pads (not really built for biking, were really terrain park ski/snowboard pads) on the day I rode the lifts recently, and will be looking for some light ones that protect the knees and lower legs. I think POC makes some that breathe and are decent. My lower legs are banged up enough with just scrapes from little falls here and there without getting dug up by my pedals.

Last edited:
Oh, HELL no! I like my euro-fruity roadie shoes, thanxvrymuch.
I won't be giving mine away. I still have them. Right now, they are giros. But I liked my sidi dominators better, and when the giros finish wearing out, I will save up and replace with another pair of sidis.

I've worn Sidi's for decades, but these buggers were on sale (Speedplay specific version) and I'm hooked.
You can mold the heel cup in the oven for a custom fit.
CX402-WHITE-BLACK-OUT_440dfb09-d6fa-439d-b48f-c4f744b64282_1024x1024.jpg

I've worn Sidi's for decades, but these buggers were on sale (Speedplay specific version) and I'm hooked.
You can mold the heel cup in the oven for a custom fit.
CX402-WHITE-BLACK-OUT_440dfb09-d6fa-439d-b48f-c4f744b64282_1024x1024.jpg
Fancy!

The Sidis really seem to fit the shape of my foot well. I had a pair of Northwaves before that fit about as good, and were also Italian made. The toeboxes in both the Sidis and the Northwave were wide enough, and did not have any extra slop up ahead of my toes. The giros are ok, but not nearly as good, and have that little bit of extra toebox hanging out there that I don't like.

Reactions: Tig
I had a terrible time finding bike shoes when I finally decided to get clips. Apparently no one that rides has wide feet (or they only will pay upwards of $200 for said shoes). Since it was a first time for me I wasn't willing to spend a lot since I wasn't sure I would like them. I eventually found a pair of Shimano shoes that worked (with look style clips). If I was to replace them I'd be a little more accommodating since I now know that they do help on road bikes at least. For the rides to the gym it's still running shoes. If we get a place up north and I get another bike I'll probably go with regular shoes especially if I get a bike for trails since that would be new to me and I'm not sure I want to be clipped in when I'm doing something new

I am 100% certain that anyone who'd ride that ^^^^^ would live in Brooklyn and have a beard.

"That's when I reach for my revolver ..."

Keep your eyes open out there. A few friends were out riding in a rural area yesterday when a large dog ran out to chase them, but ran into one guy's front wheel. The dog and rider survived, but the wheel and fork are toast. This bike is just a few months old.

43677194_10217525835248221_7672816296706179072_n.jpg

43458484_10214385708049836_4795192391684325376_n.jpg

43544706_10217525837968289_969552797936648192_n.jpg

43562262_10214385902454696_1705314939515699200_n.jpg

43618906_10214385709329868_426491339119525888_n.jpg

Keep your eyes open out there. A few friends were out riding in a rural area yesterday when a large dog ran out to chase them, but ran into one guy's front wheel. The dog and rider survived, but the wheel and fork are toast. This bike is just a few months old.

43677194_10217525835248221_7672816296706179072_n.jpg

43458484_10214385708049836_4795192391684325376_n.jpg

43544706_10217525837968289_969552797936648192_n.jpg

43562262_10214385902454696_1705314939515699200_n.jpg

43618906_10214385709329868_426491339119525888_n.jpg
Yikes!

Seeing pics like that are one reason I don't want to go to a carbon frame on my mountain bike. Rock slaps off the trail, and other impacts that can occur, do not give me a sense of confidence. I would like my frame failure to be less all and one and catastrophic. There is a local rider who had a really bad shoulder injury because his carbon bar snapped and he hit a tree.

Yikes is right!

Though I don't have a carbon fibre bike I worry about deer running out in front of me. The deer here aren't big like where I grew up but would definitely take you down. I've had some reasonable close calls

I do have a carbon fork (the part that broke) and carbon seat stays on the rear end. @Tig 's old bike. I am not too worried about that out on the road where I ride.

Reactions: Tig
Yikes!

Seeing pics like that are one reason I don't want to go to a carbon frame on my mountain bike. Rock slaps off the trail, and other impacts that can occur, do not give me a sense of confidence. I would like my frame failure to be less all and one and catastrophic. There is a local rider who had a really bad shoulder injury because his carbon bar snapped and he hit a tree.
I'm not a big fan of MTB carbon either.
Aluminum is plenty light and strong and usually more durable, plus you get plenty of bike for the money.

Am considering moving to carbon. I'm a street-only rider, and at that I'm often on MUPs.

Carbon just seems to be the chosen material for nicer frames these days, and if I could shed a few pounds off the bike, I'd be glad.

Other thoughts?

Back