The Bicycle / Biking Gear Thread

$1500 and no brakes? Nope!
I may consider the GX version to ultimately replace my SRAM 1x11 on my Kona when I wear out the cassette. I like and am used to the gear spacing on the SRAM cassette. But I really just want one more ring with a couple more teeth on the bottom end for a kinda bail out gear, and not quite the huge spacing Eagle has on it. Something in between 42 and 50. I would have to get out my gear calculator, but right now, with my 28t front ring 1x11, I have most all of my bottom end ratios except for the very bottom one I had on my SRAM triple on my Fisher. Of course I don't have my big ring ratios, but I don't really need those out on the trail anyway. Only if we are racing back to the car on the slightly downhill road.

Reactions: Tig
36280450_1887768247952867_7963699729991204864_n.jpg

Faster than any chain: CeramicSpeed DrivEn
Ceramic-bearing drive shaft is twice as efficient as Dura-Ace, company claims

ceramicspeed_driven_01-1531048060026-1l4puf5qb2ios-630-80.jpg

• chain (and derailleur pulleys) replaced with drive shaft
  • teeth on chain ring and cogs engage with ceramic bearings on shaft
  • claimed 49% less friction than stock Dura-Ace drivetrain
  • claimed 32% less friction than CeramicSpeed UFO chain with oversized pulleys
ceramicspeed_driven_02-1531048060026-1rkndmfos6ytz-630-354.jpg

Ceramic bearings on the shaft engage the cogs
ceramicspeed_driven_06-1531048060045-11zib9wnjtpvk-630-354.jpg
ceramicspeed_driven_03-1531048060032-71bz561uel5h-630-354.jpg

ceramicspeed_driven_05-1531048060041-5y1nc6vcah8t-630-354.jpg

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/ceramicspeed-driven-drive-shaft-52587/
Genius.

Last edited:
I picked up a new road bike over the weekend and decided to pick up some new biking clothes. I didn’t feel like paying the $80 for a jersey and $100 for shorts that the local stores charge. So I checked Amazon and got a jersey for $20 and shorts for $11.

I picked up a new road bike over the weekend and decided to pick up some new biking clothes. I didn’t feel like paying the $80 for a jersey and $100 for shorts that the local stores charge. So I checked Amazon and got a jersey for $20 and shorts for $11.
Wow, I didn't know they had all those inexpensive jerseys and etc. available. I need an actual road chamois and will go ahead and get one there. Normally I just like a regular middle of the road pearl izumi.

Can anybody recommend a good brand of brake pads? My new Trek is an entry-level model and came with some pretty shitty pads that take way too long to stop. I’d rather not spend $100 for a high-end brand.

Cheap cycling jerseys don't wick well; but a lot of them do look bitchin'. Louis Garneau is selling some great jerseys for $27 on Amazon right now. There is zero need to ever spend north of $40 on a jersey.

Shorts are different. I get $35 and $50 shorts at Performance (Club III and Century Gel) and it's a huge difference maker. If you're spending time in the saddle, that's where your most-sensitive parts contact the bike the most. Not where I wish to cut corners.

Chamois butter works, but what a ludicrous ripoff. You can get Corona-brand general ointment for $9 on Amazon, and it's excellent.

SPD cleats - Shimano ought to feel ashamed charging $26 for those cleats. There's a set on Amazon for $13 that's a great replacement.

Planet Bike sells gel pads on Amazon for cheap, I think they're actually nicer than Fizik's.

I have no problem spending $150+ on quality bib shorts. The Louis Garneau CB Carbon 2 are so good, I bought several pair. The carbon threads woven in make these much more durable than the usual materials alone. The chamois is the best I've ever used. I've gone through at least 60 shorts in the last 3 decades so I like something that feels great for hours, wicks away moisture, and is ultra durable.
BK.jpg

Edit: I buy these only when they are on sale at $135 instead of the usual $160-something price.

Last edited:
Back