Taylor Swift has recorded an "Indie" album

Nothing creepier than a bunch of older gentlemen fawning over a young pop star.

if you are offended by my above statement, you are one of them

I think I can get away with a 4-year age difference. :)

But Jesus, she’s in her 30s. If you think it’s unacceptable for someone her age to be dating someone who is 15-20 years older, then you’re the one who’s fucked up. Not saying that’s ideal or healthy for everyone, but you could say that about any romantic relationship. And making blind assumptions about such a relationship and calling it gross is, um, stupid.

Not that anyone here is likely to end up with T-Swift. But ‘fawning’ over her with a group of (mostly) male peers is no more or less misogynistic than fawning over any other woman.
 
I think I can get away with a 4-year age difference. :)

But Jesus, she’s in her 30s. If you think it’s unacceptable for someone her age to be dating someone who is 15-20 years older, then you’re the one who’s fucked up. Not saying that’s ideal or healthy for everyone, but you could say that about any romantic relationship, and that it isn’t gross.

Yeah, once you’re 30+ pretty much you can date anyone 30+ so long as yr into it. Middle aged folks finding comfort where they can as death looms.
 
Nothing creepier than a bunch of older gentlemen fawning over a young pop star.

if you are offended by my above statement, you are one of them
I didn't start going for her looks wise until about 2 years ago. Sorry I went for a 28 year old. Go preach to those Bieber mom's circa 2008, now that was some genuinely creepy shit.
 
I think I can get away with a 4-year age difference. :)

But Jesus, she’s in her 30s. If you think it’s unacceptable for someone her age to be dating someone who is 15-20 years older, then you’re the one who’s fucked up. Not saying that’s ideal or healthy for everyone, but you could say that about any romantic relationship. And making blind assumptions about such a relationship and calling it gross is, um, stupid.

Not that anyone here is likely to end up with T-Swift. But ‘fawning’ over her with a group of (mostly) male peers is no more or less misogynistic than fawning over any other woman.
The whole 'fawning' thing is just a misogynistic dog whistle. It assumes women are inherently sexualized and otherwise useless. Besides infantilizing an adult.

Besides it being no different than talking about women of another age, it is not different than talking about men either except if you think women are inferior.

Metal head types from Fred Durst to heavy metal parking lot dudes have always had issues with pop. Usually as a mask for their loathing towards women, black people, and/or the gays. wok is just part of a proud tradition.
 
Last edited:
The whole 'fawning' thing is just a misogynistic dog whistle. It assumes women are inherently sexualized and otherwise useless. Besides infantilizing an adult.

Besides it being no different than talking about women of another age, it is not different than talking about men either except if you think women are inferior.

Metal head types from Fred Durst to heavy metal parking lot dudes have always had issues with pop. Usually as a mask for their loathing towards women, black people, and/or the gays. wok is just part of a proud tradition.

I agree with you 100% on this one, but what I’m saying is that her age shouldn’t factor in that discussion. I’m only a few years older than she is, and I have a teenager.

‘Too cute to be talented,’ if said unironically, is certainly problematic. But that’s really the only thing that’s been said in this thread that really is. ‘Sexy as hell’ is pretty much universally standard among all sexes and sexualities with respect to talking about celebrities, save the asexuals. See: Idris Elba.
 
The whole 'fawning' thing is just a misogynistic dog whistle. It assumes women are inherently sexualized and otherwise useless. Besides infantilizing an adult.

Besides it being no different than talking about women of another age, it is not different than talking about men either except if you think women are inferior.

Metal head types from Fred Durst to heavy metal parking lot dudes have always had issues with pop. Usually as a mask for their loathing towards women, black people, and/or the gays. wok is just part of a proud tradition.

reading comprehension

and your continued effort to try and equate my musical tastes with the worst excesses of misogynist fratboy music is rather endearing

i must have hit a nerve
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I started paying attention around Red. I never went back because—I don’t know—I’m not really a fan of modern Nashville stuff and just kind of assumed her earlier stuff was in that vein and/or not for me audience-wise. I’m a sucker for writerly songwriters doing big tent pop moves, so...
Her talent transcends genres. I'm not necessarily a fan of Nashville stuff, or teenage pop. If it's good, I will listen regardless.

I took my daughter and niece to a show on the Red concert tour. It was fantastic.
 
reading comprehension

and your continued effort to try and equate my musical tastes with the worst excesses of misogynist fratboy music is rather endearing

i must have hit a nerve
Well it was a cryptic remark with no referent. So there is nothing inherently to comprehend about it.

If you're referring to specifically two posts in this thread (one of which I didn't see until a minute ago), and not all Taylor Swift fans, why not mention those people specifically instead of being passive aggressive? Then there would be reading to comprehend. As it is, it is not clear what you actually meant. It sounds like someone just shitting on the entire thread. Especially since it is not your thing apparently.
 
Chelsea Wolfe is in her 30s. I hope no metalheads—all gross old men like @yabba—have been gross about her or mentioned her looks.
 
Nothing creepier than a bunch of older gentlemen fawning over a young pop star.

if you are offended by my above statement, you are one of them

I would only listen to her to fawn over her as an older gentleman. It's what I aspire to.
 
I agree with you 100% on this one, but what I’m saying is that her age shouldn’t factor in that discussion. I’m only a few years older than she is, and I have a teenager.

‘Too cute to be talented,’ if said unironically, is certainly problematic. But that’s really the only thing that’s been said in this thread that really is. ‘Sexy as hell’ is pretty much universally standard among all sexes and sexualities with respect to talking about celebrities, save the asexuals. See: Idris Elba.

I think yabba was being ironic. And I agree that Knox's comment is so tame it didn't need to be called out.

Some threads here are gross. Like that one that had people talking about instagram models that had to be closed. But I actually feel like people behaved themselves here.
 
I gave it a listen. I expected to think it was good but not really like it for my own consumption. I liked it more than I thought I would.

One musical observation I had why noodling along on piano. Whatever you do, do not get out of a pentatonic sort of thing and you’ll be ok. I want to complain about the lack of harmonic complexity, but it really works. The harmonic simplicity allows the textures to shine without getting in the way of the words. It’s really nice.
 
Does it have any spiteful songs about ex-boyfriends? Seems to be a formula that's worked for her in the past. :shrug:
 
Back
Top