Should baseball players have to wear face shield when batting?

i'm sure the batters will be replaced by robots soon, just let the kids have fun for a few more years.

The key word here is "professional". You'd think by now they'd be able to get out of the way?
Just kidding. Those look awful.

Face shields are a thing already.

batting-face-shield.jpg

I'm talking full face shield
Understood. but why? That thing above should be all that is necessary. If a ball gets into the batter's face while they are wearing one of those, then someone did something out of the ordinary.

Besides, you can't spit through a plastic shield.

I could see a full face cage, like the catcher might wear, but maybe a bit less-obtrusive.

Understood. but why? That thing above should be all that is necessary. If a ball gets into the batter's face while they are wearing one of those, then someone did something out of the ordinary.

Besides, you can't spit through a plastic shield.

I could see a full face cage, like the catcher might wear, but maybe a bit less-obtrusive.

Point taken on the spitting, never considered it. I as a spectator don’t want to see someone get killed or to see their eyeball dislodged. The jaw shield is fine but what if you turn the other way, at the very least it should be like a downhill mountain bike or motocross type helmet just like the NFL has continually developed better helmets over the years,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robby Thompson wore a clear one (after getting his face flattened) that was reminiscent of the Freddy mask. Cant find a pic though.

To answer the question though, no. But it is another reason not to implement the DH, so pitchers have to take the plate after beaning someone. Makes 'em think.

They gotta be able to come up with something - the slit/opening/whatever you need to see through is narrower than the diameter of a baseball.

Point taken on the spitting, never considered it. I as a spectator don’t want to see someone get killed or to see their eyeball dislodged. The jaw shield is fine but what if you turn the other way, at the very least it should be like a downhill mountain bike or motocross type helmet just like the NFL has continually developed better helmets over the years,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Players are taught from little league on up to turn away. We did it with 7 year olds and tennis balls. They learned to see the yellow ball during batting practice (and we would throw AT them) and turn so it hits them in the back. If they can figure it out, so can the pros (and honestly when have you seen a batter turn in to an inside pitch)?

Up to them really. Is there anything, league rules, etc., preventing them from wearing one if they wanted to? I suspect they don't like the glare, and just generally feel like they can see the ball better without one.

Players are taught from little league on up to turn away. We did it with 7 year olds and tennis balls. They learned to see the yellow ball during batting practice (and we would throw AT them) and turn so it hits them in the back. If they can figure it out, so can the pros (and honestly when have you seen a batter turn in to an inside pitch)?
that's all good and well in theory but when a 100 mph is com ig at you instincts take over perhaps gravity from your stance or something makes your bady go into the ball...someone is gonna lose an eye in the future

Up to them really. Is there anything, league rules, etc., preventing them from wearing one if they wanted to? I suspect they don't like the glare, and just generally feel like they can see the ball better without one.
it;s like the mask thing....they would probably be made fun of or called a pussy

Masks can be pretty distracting when you are trying to see seam rotation on a baseball. All players can wear the jaw protector style if they want to, but most don't. They had to force players to wear batting helmets, then helmets with ear flaps and grandfathered it in because there was so much opposition. I feel this whole subject is kinda reactionary though. People have been hitting fastballs for over a century, and the beanball days when you could expect to have a pitcher throw at your head are long gone. Protection is available for those that want it, but it usually is only requested after getting hit.:conf:

that's all good and well in theory but when a 100 mph is com ig at you instincts take over perhaps gravity from your stance or something makes your bady go into the ball...someone is gonna lose an eye in the future

Yeah well, it's usually because a player is standing too close to the plate to handle outside pitches and just can't get out of the way fast enough for their own good. I've not seen a player fold into a pitch like you are suggesting. Players are very good at reading pitches, better than umpires, so its a case of wrong place wrong time.

Have you ever watched hockey? Baseball is completely safe comparatively.

it;s like the mask thing....they would probably be made fun of or called a pussy
Somehow I think making an extra few million because you upped your batting average a few percent makes it much easier to live with being called a pussy.

Back