Post your local Pizza specialty from your region

Detroit style pizza is a deep dish square pizza. Currently my favorite pizza style.

On my side of Michigan, we have a family owned chain that specializes in a thin, cracker crust that is delicious, though not always suited to a pizza craving.

Here’s a crime against pizza native to the upper Midwest.

TACO PIZZA

95BA33FF-BE99-47CD-B406-D012D650A02A.jpeg

Pizza crust. Taco sauce. Taco flavored ground beef. Maybe some diced/sliced canned chilies. Some sort of yellow cheese blend. Bake. Top it all off with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, and more cheese. Serve it with a side of salsa and/or sour cream.

You can find it all over the Chicago suburbs—local “Hey, this sauce is really sweet” chain Aurelio’s being a prime culprit.

Here’s a crime against pizza native to the upper Midwest.

TACO PIZZA

View attachment 47185

Pizza crust. Taco sauce. Taco flavored ground beef. Maybe some diced/sliced canned chilies. Some sort of yellow cheese blend. Bake. Top it all off with lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, and more cheese. Serve it with a side of salsa and/or sour cream.

You can find it all over the Chicago suburbs—local “Hey, this sauce is really sweet” chain Aurelio’s being a prime culprit.
That looks and sounds delicious. I wouldn't call it a pizza though.

That looks and sounds delicious. I wouldn't call it a pizza though.

Yeah. It’s not bad eating if you accept it for what it is. But if you’re an insane pizza purist based on that one time your tour bus stopped in Naples for an afternoon on your high school budget trip to Europe in 1989, this thing is gonna freak you out.

I'm expecting a crawfish with andouille sausage pizza to show up on a local menu any day. :embarrassed:

I don't think there are any particular NorCal specialty pizzas - at least that I'm aware of - but I can tell you that any pizza with thinner crust and pepperoni and anchovies won't last long around me...

Screw the haters around here. Chicago style thin crust is the best.
o__3_.0.0.0.jpg
Oh. That's the "thin cracker crust" I thought was from around here.

And I remember being excited when I saw taco pizza at the buffet as a kid. I don't know how it'd do me nowadays.

Screw the haters around here. Chicago style thin crust is the best.
o__3_.0.0.0.jpg

They cut it that way because if you cut it pie style it curls up and falls apart. I hate it, especially the saucy bits with no exposed outer crust, so typically I order it uncut and then use my own cutter to make more accessible strips.

IMO, Marion's (from Dayton, OH area) has the best pizza of that style in our area, even if they do cut them in this asinine method. Their pizza is topped with tons of fresh oregano and they have a great sausage blend. Oh, you can get pitchers of booze there too...

It's called a "pub" cut or a "bar room" cut. It was designed when bars used to give out snacks with drinks. People would just take a small piece. It just kind of stuck in the Chicago area. Every pizzeria that I know will cut the pizza in a pie cut if you ask them to.

It's called a "pub" cut or a "bar room" cut. It was designed when bars used to give out snacks with drinks. People would just take a small piece. It just kind of stuck in the Chicago area. Every pizzeria that I know will cut the pizza in a pie cut if you ask them to.

If you cut it pie style it curls up and falls apart :embarrassed:

Back