OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CuXsCYyWgAAzSPI.jpg

CuXsCYzXEAEfE2M.jpg

LOL..I'm a Canadian who owns a pump action shot gun
My dad and I have rid ourselves of guns over the years..

Many guns gone bye bye...

I miss those times...

Is it really anyone's debate to win or lose?

Strident supporters of either candidate will always think their candidate won
Tepid supporters are most likely doing the lesser of two evils choice and that's not going to change
3rd party supporters, well, you know
Undecideds? Is there really such a thing in an election this incredibly polarizing?
I think there are some that will be swayed by the doubling down on his misogyny by trying to use Bill and by trying to physically intimidate her, as Andy @Kerouac mentioned. Some suburban women that had not decided what to do yet. And suburban men as well. I do not think he "stopped the bleeding" except among the faithful.

Reactions: Tig
From the ATF:

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
Wow, when I got into C&R stuff 20 years ago, the cutoff was 1898. 50 years ago was 1966, almost but not quite into the modern "assault rifle" era (although "machine guns" would be covered separately anyway). You could pick up some nice handguns made before that date, but not the modern "wonder nines."

However, to buy C&R weapons online you need a Federal C&R license- the phrase "online loophole" makes people think anyone can just go to Wal-Mart's website and order a dozen Glocks. Clinton's position on the second amendment bothers me too, but not enough for me to prefer a complete douchebag like Trump.

Is there a real black market supplying curio and relic guns to criminals? I’m not sure how to interpret the regulations: does the curio exemption allow people to sell vintage semi-auto pistols, AK-47s, or machine guns without background checks? Or is it limited to old bolt-action rifles?

C&R license holders are actually Federally licensed and required to keep a bound book of all transactions & inventory records, subject to audit at any time and must supply a copy of their C&R FFL & ID with transactions so there's still a paper trail on their transactions. I sold something to a C&R holder and had to do some research before hand. He was also willing to do a background check at a regular FFL but of course wanted that deducted off the sale. They're also subject to limits on the number of transactions they can conduct and limited to 'historical/antique/rare' type of firearms.

I think there are some that will be swayed by the doubling down on his misogyny by trying to use Bill and by trying to physically intimidate her, as Andy @Kerouac mentioned. Some suburban women that had not decided what to do yet. And suburban men as well. I do not think he "stopped the bleeding" except among the faithful.

I could see how either candidate can lose some of their tepid supporters by changing that person's evaluation of who is the lesser of two evils as events unfold.

Idaho front and center again. And no permit required to carry concealed, and gun rights to carry preserved on college campuses. So that professors can shoot themselves in their own foot. :wink: (It happened, it really did). I do not really disagree with you guys that are responsible gun owners on your position. My state happens to be a bit reckless IMO.
VT has never required a permit and doesn't restrict carry method (concealed, open, whatever). Constitutional carry used to be called Vermont Carry for that very reason.

And no professors have shot themselves in the foot here... that I'm aware of.

There will always be outliers on both sides of an argument. Your reckless/unlucky professor is a case-in-point.

Is there blood running in the streets in ID now?

Gun shows are free-for-alls.

They used to be, but I can tell you that here in NC there's been a big crackdown in the last few years with an increase in police presence, and things are done more or less by the book now. I did personally witness several "off books" firearm transactions at gun shows 20-some years ago, but that was more about avoiding payment of taxes than selling guns to criminals.

I could see how either candidate can lose some of their tepid supporters by changing that person's evaluation of who is the lesser of two evils as events unfold.
Not sure at this point there were huge numbers either way. It was an ugly night overall. One for her to weather and him to send hail mary passes and see what happens.

My point on the CR regulations wasn't that this is a major source of illegal firearms, or the selling of guns to those who shouldn't have them. I was trying to highlight that original gun laws might need active modernization. CR transition from muzzle loaders to SKS rifles is an example. Another example might be eliminating the stupid SBR class III rules. Rifle crime and SBR issues haven't been relevant since Al Capone. We are so polarized on gun issues that there is no discussion on logical laws and updating things. I'd gladly trade bayonet lugs for a federal shall issue ccw program

C&R license holders are actually Federally licensed and required to keep a bound book of all transactions & inventory records, subject to audit at any time and must supply a copy of their C&R FFL & ID with transactions so there's still a paper trail on their transactions.

And, these records must be kept for 20 years.

VT has never required a permit and doesn't restrict carry method (concealed, open, whatever). Constitutional carry used to be called Vermont Carry for that very reason.

And no professors have shot themselves in the foot here... that I'm aware of.

There will always be outliers on both sides of an argument. Your reckless/unlucky professor is a case-in-point.

Is there blood running in the streets in ID now?
No, and never said there was. For the most part, it is a hunting state, along with some plinking, and I am sure a few big collectors. But if some guy was sitting at the lunch counter with his glock on his hip, I might try to sit somewhere else. I just don't frankly want to be around guns that much. We live pretty far apart here in Idaho. As my Dad always said, your right to swing your fist (or shoot your gun) ends at the other guy's face. Faces are closer in the city, so more law. Not sure what the answer is. Not super stoked on Hillary on this point. Probably preferred Bernie's stance, as I did on most things. But it is not nearly my top issue, and I do not claim to be completely informed on it.

They used to be, but I can tell you that here in NC there's been a big crackdown in the last few years with an increase in police presence, and things are done more or less by the book now. I did personally witness several "off books" firearm transactions at gun shows 20-some years ago, but that was more about avoiding payment of taxes than selling guns to criminals.

My personal experience is much different. Also, I don't believe you.

More or less.

My personal experience is much different. Also, I don't believe you.

More or less.

OK, you busted me.

I'm a shill for... uh, I'm not sure who. But I'm paid to go around lying about gun shows. They're actually Klan meetings in disguise where everyone is plotting to overthrow the government, and crates of select fire AKs and Eastern Bloc nuclear weapons are bought and sold openly.

I can only speak for my local shows (the Military Trader show has more interesting historical stuff, the Gun & Knife show is split 50/50 hunting/survivalist), but seriously- since Sandy Hook, things are different. I'm sure the same guys are still selling the same stuff, but they're not open about it now.

Can we renew this electon for another season? The ratings have to be good.It's just been to much fun to let go away.

No, and never said there was. For the most part, it is a hunting state, along with some plinking, and I am sure a few big collectors. But if some guy was sitting at the lunch counter with his glock on his hip, I might try to sit somewhere else. I just don't frankly want to be around guns that much. We live pretty far apart here in Idaho. As my Dad always said, your right to swing your fist (or shoot your gun) ends at the other guy's face. Faces are closer in the city, so more law. Not sure what the answer is. Not super stoked on Hillary on this point. Probably preferred Bernie's stance, as I did on most things. But it is not nearly my top issue, and I do not claim to be completely informed on it.
Fwiw, I think people who open carry firearms and aren't cops are idiots. I still support their right to do so though.

Guns don't bother me. Stupid people doing stupid things with guns bothers me.

Trump was right: Hillary did take advantage of the system to win the nomination... just like he took advantage of the tax code.

You decide which one is more damaging to democracy.

Fwiw, I think people who open carry firearms and aren't cops are idiots. I still support their right to do so though.

Guns don't bother me. Stupid people doing stupid things with guns bothers me.

Trump was right: Hillary did take advantage of the system to win the nomination... just like he took advantage of the tax code.

You decide which one is more damaging to democracy.
You left out a bunch of stuff, other than guns, taxes and election process (almost sounds like a Warren Zevon lyric) that are important to me, suffice it to say, that I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back