It's 1985: what's your beer of choice?

I snuck a sip of my step-dad's Old Milwaukee in the 70's and didn't touch another beer for 20 years. Alcohol was never my thing.

1985 I lived in Eastern Idaho, so these were pretty much the only ones you saw (3.2, of course - if I wanted real beer I had to drive to Jackson, WY...)

rainier.pn.jpg

Olympia-Beer-Can-from-Complaint.jpg
i grew up in western Pa. so the tv commercials had lots of Carling Black Label, Schaefer, Rolling Rock, Schmidt's. i never see those commercials anymore here in NW Ohio.

Mostly German imported beers since I couldn't stand American macro swill.

Pacifico was our go-to for mass consumption.
11943439532062.png

Hmm. Back then, the honest answer was probably the brand new MGD, from Miller, with experimental forays into Grant’s Ale from Yakima Brewing in WA. It was a pale, similar to Redhook ESB, out of Redhook in Seattle, but Redhook didn’t start releasing beer for another couple years. That was a transitional time. To be honest, there was probably some Coors Silver Bullets and Budweiser classics in there too. I can’t stand the taste of Budweiser now. Silver bullets are like hot afternoon after a hot bike ride or mowing the lawn low calorie hydration unit now.

1985 I lived in Eastern Idaho, so these were pretty much the only ones you saw (3.2, of course - if I wanted real beer I had to drive to Jackson, WY...)

rainier.pn.jpg

Olympia-Beer-Can-from-Complaint.jpg
I liked those, and had them as a youth obviously being a Tacoma kid between Olympia and Seattle. Tacoma had the nastier, Heidelberg, in 11 ounce stubby bottles. But in the 80’s, I had been convinced to leave those regional products behind in favor of the aforementioned MGD and such. Also, Henry Weinhards was considered a treat.

In 1985 I was hanging out at The Cultured Pearl, a Bohemian bar/restaurant that featured Mexican food, poetry, and jazz. Dos Equis was the beer on tap.

At other places, I was drinking this, because it had a flamingo on it...
images

Last edited:
Their regular beer was made in Azusa CA (for the American market)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I avoided the American stuff and bought the German stuff whenever possible. I ever bought a couple of 6ers from a Hudson's Bay Trading Co. trading post in Churchill, Man, Canada. Once I couldn't find any German anymore I quit drinking it. Miller also brewed it in Milwaukee.

Reactions: Tig
In Northern Ireland Tennents lager was the drink of choice, with the 'lager lovelies' on the back of each can.

d2e4be209974cb5eea05f0ae7b737ea6.jpg

Ugh, I still don't know how people can drink Tennants. It's not as bad as other British lagers,but it's pretty bad

85 as my freshman year of high school. I've never been a beer drinker, and it those days, it was just pot for me. I don't think I really started drinking until my senior year of high school and then it was either gin or Yukon Jack.

Back