Is Too fast too furious the most detrimental movie to humanity in the last 20 years

Are the TFTF crowd a menace to society

• Total voters
it's also the gyroscopic effect of the spinning tires/wheels, they tend to counteract the lean. :idea:

edit: that's why they can't lean anything like that at slower speeds. you HAVE to get the wheels/tires spinning at higher speeds to help "push" against the lean.

Ever see a police mc drill team? They will turn tight enough at 20mph to drag their pegs

The speed and cornering push your referral is usually called camber thrust
https://motochassis.com/Articles/Tyres/TYRES.htm

Driving like an asshole has been around as long as the automobile. Those movies didn't start it, they just highlighted it.
I hate stunters on motorcycles. I love watching them crash.
As for the drag racers, when I was doing it long ago we would go hide on a desolate back country road and do it. Not down the middle of the freeway or city block.

That cafe racer position always seems a little weird and counterintuitive to me as a skier, and mountain biker, where we have the skis, or the bike, tipped more, and a corresponding angle created the other way with the upper body, rather than the body and center of mass being “inside the turn” like those motorbike racers do. I am guessing it has to do with the forces from all the mechanical acceleration? Still doesn’t make sense to me, as I have no experience with that at all.

Also, I could never bring myself to watch a single minute of any of the fast and furious stuff. And I hate fart tubes. Now, give me a nice ANSA tip on an Italian exhaust, that I might like.

That is because your body is heavier than your bike, raising the CG. With road racers, the bike CG is much lower to the ground and the riders weight is much less significant. Add in the downforce from a strong motor pulling the bike out of the turn, and it makes it a completely different scenario.

That cafe racer position always seems a little weird and counterintuitive to me as a skier, and mountain biker, where we have the skis, or the bike, tipped more, and a corresponding angle created the other way with the upper body, rather than the body and center of mass being “inside the turn” like those motorbike racers do. I am guessing it has to do with the forces from all the mechanical acceleration? Still doesn’t make sense to me, as I have no experience with that at all.

View attachment 66870
Being pulled by a boat adds another element to it.
th.jpeg-24.jpg

Reactions: Tig
Being pulled by a boat adds another element to it.
View attachment 66908
This skier looks inside with his weight, and not in a good position for leverage out of the turn. Kinda dunk turning it. Though this below is considered the west coast style, I like the more level shoulders, and balance fore and aft on the ski. And yes, leverage (not pulling against) the boat is a key thing.

This guy gave me some coaching a few years back. I am nowhere near as good. No where near. But I like the method to the extent I can adopt it, and it feels more like snow skiing, but as you say, adding leverage against the boat.

This is most specific on the point in a sample lesson vid. I did some in person lessons and also a video one.

Not as good, but trying. Back in 2017. Didn’t ski much the last summer or two. Would have some work to do to get back to that.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0AqOGx5T5-I9POST_gEiKAAYw
upload_2021-5-25_11-6-47.jpeg

Didn’t mean to come off as a know it all, or anything. that pic shows something I was familiar with and have worked on to help my own skiing, though with my snow skiing experience, that part came more naturally. The arms to the vest and not letting those get pulled up and/or away in the wake crossing as line pressure increases is what I have most been needing to work on. Once I got more pressure on my front foot and not too much on the back foot, so I could use the ski better.

Last edited:
I think that flavor of douchebag predates those movies (I certainly knew them when I was in high school in the early 90s, and I'm fairly sure they appeared not long after automobiles did..)
This.

The movies might have made it worse, but the movies were about something that already existed.

Edit: I don’t say that in defense of the movies. They are awful.

We've got a bananas street racing scene around here.

They use social media to coordinate gatherings and get big enough crowds that the cops are completely terrified of dealing with it. Cars have taken over primary routes like I5 by shutting off access to a bridge to do doughnuts or doing the same in major intersections.

These videos are pretty close to my house. I can hear them all the time.

Around here (Bay Area) they have what are called "sideshows" that consist of idiots watching other idiots drive around in circles:

Man I like skiing and cycling, and if I knew how to do it, cornering on a good street or track bike more than that stuff. And if people are doing to cut off I-5, I would rather that it was in pursuit of social justice. Not high level consumption of fossil fuels. Not that skiing, waterskiing and other sports don’t have ANY consumption of fossil fuels.

I'm sure those racing motorcycles are lighter than a big ol' harley sort of bike, but they've still gotta be at least 300 lbs or so, just a couple feet off the ground

I had an old friend, and ski school boss, that passed a year or two ago who loved sport bikes, and used to tell me regarding Harleys that if he wanted a vibrator, he knew which drawer at the local pharmacy to go to to find it. (Small ski town, that was where you went for your sex toys.)

We've got a bananas street racing scene around here.

They use social media to coordinate gatherings and get big enough crowds that the cops are completely terrified of dealing with it. Cars have taken over primary routes like I5 by shutting off access to a bridge to do doughnuts or doing the same in major intersections.

These videos are pretty close to my house. I can hear them all the time.

I watched the first video....what a bunch of assholes. Here's what they should do.....don't even concentrate on the racers just start arresting and impounding spectators cars. Go after the lowest on the totem poll....the easy ones to get at the back because without spectators what is the draw for mass gatherings and it's the spectators who think "aw nothings gonna happen, they will just tell us to leave". Give them big fines, some jail time/community service and take their car away for 30 days.

The racers (seeing how they love tinkering on cars) should have to work at a working garage for free where they have to do "fun" stuff like replacing a freeze plug on a 1988 Forde explorer, or a rear seal on a 1985 Chevy celebrity, fix the "oil leak" on a 1986 Ford ranger, a head job on a 200 Chevy van....the fun stuff and not the glory stuff they see on these "gearhead tv shows" *spits*

I watched the first video....what a bunch of assholes. Here's what they should do.....don't even concentrate on the racers just start arresting and impounding spectators cars. Go after the lowest on the totem poll....the easy ones to get at the back because without spectators what is the draw for mass gatherings and it's the spectators who think "aw nothings gonna happen, they will just tell us to leave". Give them big fines, some jail time/community service and take their car away for 30 days.

The racers (seeing how they love tinkering on cars) should have to work at a working garage for free where they have to do "fun" stuff like replacing a freeze plug on a 1988 Forde explorer, or a rear seal on a 1985 Chevy celebrity, fix the "oil leak" on a 1986 Ford ranger, a head job on a 200 Chevy van....the fun stuff and not the glory stuff they see on these "gearhead tv shows" *spits*

The cops only break up the small gatherings. The last time they actually tried to bust up a big crowded one, people started throwing rocks at them and the police turned tail and ran because they were so greatly out numbered. That has only emboldened the scene knowing if they come out in numbers, the police will hang back.

The cops only break up the small gatherings. The last time they actually tried to bust up a big crowded one, people started throwing rocks at them and the police turned tail and ran because they were so greatly out numbered. That has only emboldened the scene knowing if they come out in numbers, the police will hang back.
well that is mob rule. I'd say they need to go in with force then....I hate to say that but fuck those assholes and their anarchy. send the national gaurd in if that's what it takes or put a curfew in place.

Unless they are Moms protesting racial inequities, as far as I understand. They might go ahead and break those up. But not big boy car rallies or Proud Boy shit. Gotta let that shit go.

Unless they are Moms protesting racial inequities, as far as I understand. They might go ahead and break those up. But not big boy car rallies or Proud Boy shit. Gotta let that shit go.

In a pretty disturbing move the black bloc protests have been using their own 'security' on the perimeters of the daytime protests with ARs and shotguns, so now they get the hands-off treatment too

In a pretty disturbing move the black bloc protests have been using their own 'security' on the perimeters of the daytime protests with ARs and shotguns, so now they get the hands-off treatment too
Huh, I wondered what would happen if groups of people of color and/or their supporters armed themselves. I guess we’ll see.

Back