Do you discriminate against restaurants that don't serve alcohol?

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Well kind of a no-brainer for the non-drinkers, but I mainly am asking the ones that do...

We met another couple last night at this Mediterranean place. It was pretty good too, but no adult beverages. So I don't see myself getting very enthused about going back. Getting a drink is one of the parts about eating out that I really like I guess... :tongue:

It would be different if they had a real differentiator - like the absolute best lamb shanks in the state, or something like that. But that isn't the case here, everything was good but nothing I can't get equally good at a place with real beverages. And also the chairs are kind of uncomfortable, at least after 90 minutes of conversation mainly in Spanish.

For a good dinner, sure. I would like a nice glass of wine or other appropriate beverage for pairing with a decent meal. And by nice, I mean well prepared from good ingredients, not what kind of tableware or tablecloth was involved. The dinner doesn't even have to be super "fancy." Just nicely done for whatever it is. And then, yeah, I would like a nice appropriately paired beverage to go with.

Mostly, I wouldn’t really care.

I think it have more to do with why we’re out for dinner.
Just to eat? I don’t really care.
Special occasion? I’d probably go somewhere that serves booze.

Individual restaurants? No…..

…. entire fucking cities or counties? Oh the fuck yeah I do!

I’m looking at you Pigeon Forge…. And don’t get all Bible-y in this bitch…. Jesus hung out with gamblers, prostitutes, and when they ran out of wine, he magicked up more for everyone. :wink:

Well kind of a no-brainer for the non-drinkers, but I mainly am asking the ones that do...

We met another couple last night at this Mediterranean place. It was pretty good too, but no adult beverages. So I don't see myself getting very enthused about going back. Getting a drink is one of the parts about eating out that I really like I guess... :tongue:

It would be different if they had a real differentiator - like the absolute best lamb shanks in the state, or something like that. But that isn't the case here, everything was good but nothing I can't get equally good at a place with real beverages. And also the chairs are kind of uncomfortable, at least after 90 minutes of conversation mainly in Spanish.

What the fuck kind of Mediterranean place doesn't serve wine?

And no, outside of a fast food place I'm not going to a sit down restaurant to have a coke.

I wonder if we've found another US/Euro cultural difference here? Can't recall ever going to a restaurant that isn't either licensed or BYO.

It depends on the restaurant. If I’m just grabbing something quick with the kids I’m not drinking so I don’t care. But if it’s an expensive restaurant for grownups they better have liquor for a cocktail and wine to go with dinner.

No difference since I never drink if I'm driving.
Mrs. T likes a good margarita occasionally, but I'm almost always the driver. I should reverse that next time we eat Mexican food!

upload_2021-10-13_18-5-50.jpeg

I wonder if we've found another US/Euro cultural difference here? Can't recall ever going to a restaurant that isn't either licensed or BYO.

USians are squirrelly about drinking, for sure. I imagine there's some intersection of our licensing laws, puritanism, and insatiable thirst for soft drinks that separates us from the Euros.

since i almost never have alcohol when eating out (mainly because of the markup), it doesn't bother me if a eatery doesn't serve alcohol.
bars that don't serve alcohol i do avoid.

Well the county I grew up in and live in today is still "dry". Only in the last 5 yrs has the closest town to me went "wet".
Still cant get a drink or even purchase a beer in the county outside of the 2 largest town's city limits.
But I hardly ever drink anymore anyway so I dont really care. I do enjoy a nice glass of red with my steak or prime rib tho. And a nice craft beer goes well with a good deli sammich. But with Covid I 've pretty much quit going to restaurants anyway and just do takeout.

USians are squirrelly about drinking, for sure. I imagine there's some intersection of our licensing laws, puritanism, and insatiable thirst for soft drinks that separates us from the Euros.
This.
And also public transportation just dosnt exist outside of a few major cities. So to go anywhere you gotta drive unless you happen to live in walking distance form an establishment. Drink and drive and they put you in jail and take away your license.
All of this combined makes the US much different from Europe, or so I hear.

Family friends have lived in Orange County since the mid 90s. Not sure if much has changed but I remember in the first decade or so they got all sorts of weird looks and snide comments for having a couple of beers or a bottle of wine with dinner. Ironic given the amount of powder going around.

As PMC said, if I'm eating somewhere that isn't fast food, I'd like a drink. I can't actually think of anywhere that doesn't serve booze, the very few that don't let you bring your own.

Back