cats crack me up

Not particularly funny, but I'm thankful I got my little rescue cat Luna back from the vet yesterday. She came straight off the streets in April of 2016, and she's always been tiny, perhaps the size of a 8 month-old kitten even though she's probably 3 years old.

She was diagnosed with diabetes in Feb. and then switched to a better, much more expensive insulin (Pro Zinc) in March.

The past couple of weeks, she'd been acting a little down and not feeling very good, but I had a vet appt already scheduled on June 2, so I figured I'd get her checked out at that time. Then last Tuesday, I was going to give her the evening shot, but the 2/3-full bottle of insulin slipped from my hands and shattered on the tile floor. It was after hours, so she missed the evening dose and the one for the next morning as well.

I drove to her vets office at lunch the next day and dropped $178 for a new bottle of Pro Zinc (which should last for 4-5 months), then came straight home and gave her a shot, and another that evening. She was very lethargic and had almost no appetite, so I took her to the vet on Friday, and they referred me to a local animal hospital. The animal hospital admitted her, ran a crap-ton of tests and determined that her glucose levels were really high, she was dehydrated and her electrolyte levels we seriously out of whack. Eventually after a couple of days of hospitalization and treatment, her appetite wasn't responding to the medications and IV fluids, so they did further tests and discovered that she had a severe case of pancreatitis. The doctor theorized that she'd had a low level case of it for some time, which he thinks led to the diabetes.

Anyway, they started to treat that and she began to improve. When my son and I visited her every day, she grew more and more alert and affectionate. I finally got her back yesterday, weak and scrawny from weight loss (she lost almost a pound after basically starving herself for 4 days), with a shaved leg from the IV. She's now constantly hungry and begs for milk every time the refrigerator door is opened, and she seems half-starved for affection as well. Whenever I walk anywhere, she's right there beside me, never letting me out of her sight for long.

The bill was $1911, which was a cold slap in the groin, but she was alive and on the mend so I paid it, grateful to have her back.

I was going to take a picture of her to attach, but she won't stay still right now so they're all coming out blurry.

Dammit, she stopped eating again two days ago. She'd been doing so well, too.

Took her to the vet yesterday and he gave me three prescriptions, including an appetite stimulant, which I gave her last night. This morning, no change, so I took a 10ml syringe and force-fed her 15ml of food. Neither of us liked that.

I'm seriously concerned.

tumblr_ne2b05OQUP1qasjkvo1_400.gif

Dammit, she stopped eating again two days ago. She'd been doing so well, too.

Took her to the vet yesterday and he gave me three prescriptions, including an appetite stimulant, which I gave her last night. This morning, no change, so I took a 10ml syringe and force-fed her 15ml of food. Neither of us liked that.

I'm seriously concerned.
Mojo to all.

Mojo to all.

Well, after putting a serious scare into us, she started to improve a little last night. She ate a little bit of food on her own after 3 days of force-feeding, ate some treats I gave her, started walking around (though a little unsteadily) and climbed up into the window sill to lay in the sun.

The night before last I took her to the vet, very worried. She was really lethargic, hadn't eaten on her own in days, was dehydrated and was down to 4.4lbs. They did some tests, gave her 400 ml of subcutaneous fluids (she was all puffy-looking afterward) and a Vit B12 shot, and prescribed some additional meds for her. All that seems to have helped her start to improve.

Ima keep my fingers crossed and continue talking to her, petting her and giving her whatever she will eat.

Back