Board, taking it all apart and starting over. Wanna help or comment?

If you’re gonna do the crime...

Meh....

To me the dude came clean and admitted it. I know that many felt conned but that is how I feel with most of the market. Most of these just buy it because of the name and someone else did without really researching it.
 
Meh....

To me the dude came clean and admitted it. I know that many felt conned but that is how I feel with most of the market. Most of these just buy it because of the name and someone else did without really researching it.
I’m not giving him the ad revenue. Especially when the cover pic shows a power supply designed to be mounted under the board.
 
Ok, back to my silly pedal board building and messing around. I changed it around a little bit again. I like this layout better, and the wah is on the correct side of the board. I still may move the Trio+ off. But not sure yet.

68572461-A4DC-4F50-8185-B881B5FAD2FE.jpeg
 
I have stupid desire to get an EHX Small Clone to see what it is about. They aren’t that expensive. At some point, I probably will.

The Small Clone does its own thing and it’s totally worth having one around. I’m a man who owns at least two choruses at any given time, several phasers, and usually a few other assorted modulation pedals. If you record of fuss with particular sounds, it’s nice to have several cheap options to get exactly the thing for a given part.

The Small Clone wouldn’t be my go to generic chorus, but it does stuff your CE-2 style clones don’t.
 
Last edited:
The Small Clone does it’s own thing and it’s totally worth having one around. I’m a man who owns at least two choruses at any given time, several phasers, and usually a few other assorted modulation pedals. If you record of fuss with particular sounds, it’s nice to have several cheap options to get exactly the thing for a given part.

The Small Clone wouldn’t be my go to generic chorus, but it does stuff you CE-2 style clones don’t.
Mine, other than the ones in the M9, is the CE-5, which I understand is different from the more popular CE-2. BUT, I found a Small Clone pretty cheap, with a butterfly sticker on the slightly beat up paint job, and grabbed it. I liked the vibe. Just to explore it and check it out. I can always sell it again if I don’t like it or use it.

Not sure which board it will end up on. Was thinking with the DS-1 on the little board, but who knows.



5853151D-1F1F-4E2F-8D6C-4D77701BE456.jpeg
 
Mine, other than the ones in the M9, is the CE-5, which I understand is different from the more popular CE-2. BUT, I found a Small Clone pretty cheap, with a butterfly sticker on the slightly beat up paint job, and grabbed it. I liked the vibe. Just to explore it and check it out. I can always sell it again if I don’t like it or use it.

Not sure which board it will end up on. Was thinking with the DS-1 on the little board, but who knows.



View attachment 61628

Since you already bought it, compare it to the Small Clone model on the M9.
 
This has been....inspirational. Perhaps I might do a board renovation myself...
HaHa! I am wondering about the ellipsis and what that indicated. But glad if my rambling ADHD board considerations provided any sort of inspiration. I am trying to end up with a more well thought out and "professional" or at least effective board. :). For sounds I want to use regularly, as I discover them.

Since you already bought it, compare it to the Small Clone model on the M9.

Yeah, one possibility I thought of, though if I am honest, it likely won't happen (a sale I mean), is using the actual pedal to explore, compare, and set up the closest model in the M9, and then sell the actual pedal, or the CE-5 if I like the Small clone better, after fully exploring. I will do the exploration. It is the sale that is suspect.
 
HaHa! I am wondering about the ellipsis and what that indicated. But glad if my rambling ADHD board considerations provided any sort of inspiration. I am trying to end up with a more well thought out and "professional" or at least effective board. :). For sounds I want to use regularly, as I discover them.

.
Actually, I had planned to do "stage 2" of my current board over the summer but lack of gigs and funds put that on the back burner. The only thing that I might buy is a J Rockett Archer pedal but I want to cover my Pedaltrain board with a flat surface and drill a few holes for cable access so that I have more freedom and efficiency placing pedals where I need them. I also want to change how I route the outputs so that the Iridium and the amp outs are not being split out of the Timeline because that is causing some issues as well. The last thing is that I have the midi cable for the Iridium so that I can store presets but have never set it up. No rush, though. I don't see myself playing any shows until summer 2021 the way things are going.
 
Actually, I had planned to do "stage 2" of my current board over the summer but lack of gigs and funds put that on the back burner. The only thing that I might buy is a J Rockett Archer pedal but I want to cover my Pedaltrain board with a flat surface and drill a few holes for cable access so that I have more freedom and efficiency placing pedals where I need them. I also want to change how I route the outputs so that the Iridium and the amp outs are not being split out of the Timeline because that is causing some issues as well. The last thing is that I have the midi cable for the Iridium so that I can store presets but have never set it up. No rush, though. I don't see myself playing any shows until summer 2021 the way things are going.

I am going back and forth how I want to go about that with the nice piece of 3/4 ply I have. I could get some help setting up a router properly and router out some slots, but I want to make sure those slots work well with how I am thinking about setting things up. Or, I could drill holes, or rather, cut them with a couple hole saws I have. BUT, then I might keep having to cut holes, and ultimately the board will look like a piece of Swiss cheese.

Secondly, I had hoped to find some people and put together an outdoor sort of live playing thing, but it is too cold now, and we are headed into winter. So, now trying to figure out how I can set something up with JamKazam or something, and I started getting confused about how my pedals were going to work with my interface/Quilter/any additional IR thing I get, and then figured I may as well just start over and figure out how all the stuff I have works, and what will work best for whatever I am trying to do.

As far as the online playing, I am thinking simpler is better, if I am trying to go direct in. But am still playing with it. Simpler may be better, but simpler made out of what? I want to find that thing that lets me use one of my distortions like I have done with the catalinbread pedals and my amp so I can go from pretty clean, with just a hint of dirt/support, by switching pickups and moving my volume knob. Haven't figured that out with the Quilter yet, and going straight into the interface didn't work at all.

When I was mic'ing, as I did for our lessons/classes, I could just use the stuff that was out and connected to the amp.
 
Last edited:
I use a couple of pedals that way - the Emerson Em Drive and the TC Spark boost especially but it depends on the pickup and how l have the amp. I do ride the volume knob n matter what. Pedal. I’’’m using.
Cross quote from your pedalboard thread as I didn’t want to dirty yours up with what I am doing.

I have been using the Catalinbread F5 and F55, which are both designed to mimic the preamp section of the 5E3 tweed amps, that way. It took me until a couple years ago to figure out you should do, or at least be able to do, that with pedals. It was like an eye opener for me.
 
Cross quote from your pedalboard thread as I didn’t want to dirty yours up with what I am doing.

I have been using the Catalinbread F5 and F55, which are both designed to mimic the preamp section of the 5E3 tweed amps, that way. It took me until a couple years ago to figure out you should do, or at least be able to do, that with pedals. It was like an eye opener for me.
Now I’m interested in these pedals... * heads off to YouTube to look for samples *
 
Back
Top