Board, taking it all apart and starting over. Wanna help or comment?

I am going to do a bunch of experimenting, first with all the dirt pedals, as discussed above, but here is just one possibility, with the smaller board being more for the Peavey Classic 30, and the bigger board being more for the Fender Concert. Those dirt pedals on the smaller board all worked well with the Peavey, but never seemed quite as good with the Fender. But then again, there is some experimenting to be done before cementing any of this. On the big board, I was thinking of getting a Peterson tuner, so I can use that for intonation, which my guitars mostly need and which I want to learn to do

That cheap Behringer pedal tuner works, but before I use it, I want to check it again. Either it, or that Behringer clean boost up behind in the overall pic, sitting with the extra stuff, was noisy. I haven’t used either of those for years. They have been with the dust bunnies under a dresser in the music/family room. I can’t remember which of them was noisy, or both. better.
E3228D89-6F5A-4972-B7DA-0397027F1E92.jpeg
CF550543-2EED-4E78-9533-CDDE434FAEB1.jpeg
538EF717-360E-45FE-A0D1-FD201BB8D8C2.jpeg


I don’t know if I like where that wah is, or if it has to be there at all. But at home, it would be nice if it could be on the board, inside the case, so I can just close the lid when I am done playing and keep the dust out. I will probably CRC or deoxit everything also, especially the old stuff that has not been used. I am noticing a couple of the switches in the guitars I have not used much are getting a little noisy too.

The quilter, the way I am using it, sits on top of the recording interface, and I doubt I would take it to play out, especially as I don’t have an extension cab to use, rather than just take one of my amps.

Also, though it is an ancient thing and I am not sure I really want to use it for much, I want to check out the cab sims in that old Kong multi FX pedal, just for fun.
 
Amp inventory, just to remind people. (Not counting the Quilter amp pedal) That little tiny tweed thing to the right of the Peavey is some cheapo solid state thing someone gave me, and sounds like ass unless it is really clean. Not sure why I don’t just give it away.

F059FFD8-B1FF-48F9-BBE1-E6814D9DB68D.jpeg
59883407-14FA-4D0F-AAC4-5530A956DF28.jpeg
77E76B7D-1555-4DC6-84F6-AF5358CCD525.jpeg
 
Well, as I pulled things apart and starting playing around with stuff, it became obvious that I needed to get out the CRC and Deoxit and get to work on some pots and switches, input jacks, power supplies, etc. Revived at least one out of two Behringer pedals to a usable status, (one is still iffy. We’ll see), and just finished cleaning up the Muff. I was not getting good sound and volume out of it and the pots were really stiff and scratchy. Went through and cleaned everything, and everything works much more smoothly. We’ll see if the sound is back to normal tomorrow. Just did the wah too, and everything there is working better. The switch button has a nice definite click on and off now, and everything moves more smoothly. Feels good to get stuff cleaned up.
 
Last edited:
I'm a little late to the thread, as I wanted to read all the details and just didn't have the concentration for that during the weekend.

Keeping the M9 on the board only for it's tuner sounds like a waste of space, and it'd be better to take it out and maybe get to know it on it's own. There a good chance it'll cromulently cover some sounds that otherwise require a dedicated pedal.

I also think that the DS1 and Bad Monkey are not really worth selling, unless someone in your neighborhood has a pedal you want and will trade with you.

The DS1 is also usable as a boost, it's ice-pick nastiness can add bite to otherwise mellow dirt. Try setting the rat clone to a light crunch and hitting it with the DS1 (level more-or-less maxed, dist at minimum or a little above, tone between 11 and 1 o'clock). I'm not sure it has enough volume to be a jack-of-all-boosts, but it's still worth to see if it is useful for you.
 
That little tiny tweed thing to the right of the Peavey is some cheapo solid state thing someone gave me, and sounds like ass unless it is really clean. View attachment 61550

Tell me more about the little tiny tweed thing. Wonder how bad the speaker is. Imagining using the M9 into the Quilter, into it's speaker.

Everything about this project seems to be about people coming to your house, thinking that could be good for when you go somewhere.

Or, use the looper in the M9 for something to wheedle, wheedle over by yourself, at home.
 
Tell me more about the little tiny tweed thing. Wonder how bad the speaker is. Imagining using the M9 into the Quilter, into it's speaker.

Everything about this project seems to be about people coming to your house, thinking that could be good for when you go somewhere.

Or, use the looper in the M9 for something to wheedle, wheedle over by yourself, at home.
It is just a solid state amp you get when you buy a cheap guitar that someone gave me. Regarding the speaker, I am not sure, but that is a good thought! Will check it out. The amp sounded like crap, worse than a “Fullerton” brand little solid state one my kid got along with a Fullerton strat copy way back when, but, if I can figure out how to bypass whatever cheapo solid state amp is in there and just use the speaker, maybe it would be ok. Someday, would like to consider putting together a speaker extension cab. I had been thinking 2x12 of some kind.

My ideal for the Quilter was to use it with my interface, and mostly for jamming online or recording. With Covid, no one is coming over to play this winter. And I am not likely to go anywhere, so part of this was trying to get set up to play via JamKazam. Tried it out with Modern Saint the other night, before I got the Quilter, and it worked pretty well with my computer and interface. But I wanted to improve the feel and response into the interface with the quilter, and also be able to use my pedals with it. @Highernoon , absolutely I need to learn about the M9 more. And yeah, maybe I should try it into the little cab for fun. But also, maybe into the quilter and into the interface. As opposed to the whole board.

The way I had laid it out there yesterday, at least in my head, was so that the M9 now would go before the Polara and the Carbon Copy, and that I would use it more now to try out other things like flangers, different choruses, etc. But no reason I can’t just try it on its own.

I talked to @Help!I'maRock! yesterday, mostly about some tuning stuff, but also we talked about the M9 a little. And as I was checking stuff out and finding noise here and there, as I put stuff back together, I am going to try each item isolated, and then as I put stuff back together, add one thing at a time to check for noise. that includes cables, etc.

And also will try lots of combinations, like you guys are saying. And I need to remember that the Fender does not have reverb, nor an effects loop, but does have that nice vibrato that is fun to play with. And the Peavey does have a decent reverb, and does have an effects loop. Which I never used.

WRT loopers, the way I “vision boarded” the way I laid stuff out yesterday, I kept the RC20XL looper in the smaller set up with mostly cheaper gear, and on the larger set up, there are two loopers, one in the M9, and one in the Trio+. So really either set up can be used for wheedle wheedle with my self at home, through one of the amps, or the Quilter with headphones. And yeah, I could just change cables around a little to use just the M9 and even the Trio and go out to the Quilter. Frankly I had thought the Boss looper was dead, as I had tried it a few months ago and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I had a bad power supply on it. Anyway, it is an option now. :)
 
Last edited:
It is just a solid state amp you get when you buy a cheap guitar that someone gave me. Regarding the speaker, I am not sure, but that is a good thought! Will check it out. The amp sounded like crap, worse than a “Fullerton” brand little solid state one my kid got along with a Fullerton strat copy way back when, but, if I can figure out how to bypass whatever cheapo solid state amp is in there and just use the speaker, maybe it would be ok. Someday, would like to consider putting together a speaker extension cab. I had been thinking 2x12 of some kind.

My ideal for the Quilter was to use it with my interface, and mostly for jamming online or recording. With Covid, no one is coming over to play this winter. And I am not likely to go anywhere, so part of this was trying to get set up to play via JamKazam. Tried it out with Modern Saint the other night, before I got the Quilter, and it worked pretty well with my computer and interface. But I wanted to improve the feel and response into the interface with the quilter, and also be able to use my pedals with it. @Highernoon , absolutely I need to learn about the M9 more. And yeah, maybe I should try it into the little cab for fun. But also, maybe into the quilter and into the interface. As opposed to the whole board.

The way I had laid it out there yesterday, at least in my head, was so that the M9 now would go before the Polara and the Carbon Copy, and that I would use it more now to try out other things like flangers, different choruses, etc. But no reason I can’t just try it on its own.

I talked to @Help!I'maRock! yesterday, mostly about some tuning stuff, but also we talked about the M9 a little. And as I was checking stuff out and finding noise here and there, as I put stuff back together, I am going to try each item isolated, and then as I put stuff back together, add one thing at a time to check for noise. that includes cables, etc.

And also will try lots of combinations, like you guys are saying. And I need to remember that the Fender does not have reverb, nor an effects loop, but does have that nice vibrato that is fun to play with. And the Peavey does have a decent reverb, and does have an effects loop. Which I never used.

WRT loopers, the way I “vision boarded” the way I laid stuff out yesterday, I kept the RC20XL looper in the smaller set up with mostly cheaper gear, and on the larger set up, there are two loopers, one in the M9, and one in the Trio+. So really either set up can be used for wheedle wheedle with my self at home, through one of the amps, or the Quilter with headphones. And yeah, I could just change cables around a little to use just the M9 and even the Trio and go out to the Quilter. Frankly I had thought the Boss looper was dead, as I had tried it a few months ago and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I had a bad power supply on it. Anyway, it is an option now. :)

"if I can figure out how to bypass whatever cheapo solid state amp is in there and just use the speaker,"

Since you are talking about throwing it away- Just cut the wires that go to the speaker at the amp. Put a 1/4 jack on them. Buy a speaker cable, guitar cables don't work.

"My ideal for the Quilter was to use it with my interface, and mostly for jamming online or recording."

I know but, if was me, I would be bouncing off the walls until I could hear it.

"there are two loopers, one in the M9, and one in the Trio+."

What can I say, old man memory here. :grin:
.
"Frankly I had thought the Boss looper was dead, as I had tried it a few months ago and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I had a bad power supply on it. Anyway, it is an option now. :)"

A long time ago, I bought a pedal on Ebay. Don't remember which one because again, old man memory. The day I got here, I had a short day at work so I was home before everybody else. It was dead. I messaged the seller, asked him why he didn't throw it in the garbage instead of selling it on Ebay, and some other more colorful things. Son gets home from school. I tell him the pedal was DOA. He says, you know one of the plugs on my One Spot doesn't work, right? Yes. I did apologise.
 
"if I can figure out how to bypass whatever cheapo solid state amp is in there and just use the speaker,"

Since you are talking about throwing it away- Just cut the wires that go to the speaker at the amp. Put a 1/4 jack on them. Buy a speaker cable, guitar cables don't work.

"My ideal for the Quilter was to use it with my interface, and mostly for jamming online or recording."

I know but, if was me, I would be bouncing off the walls until I could hear it.

"there are two loopers, one in the M9, and one in the Trio+."

What can I say, old man memory here. :grin:
.
"Frankly I had thought the Boss looper was dead, as I had tried it a few months ago and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I had a bad power supply on it. Anyway, it is an option now. :)"

A long time ago, I bought a pedal on Ebay. Don't remember which one because again, old man memory. The day I got here, I had a short day at work so I was home before everybody else. It was dead. I messaged the seller, asked him why he didn't throw it in the garbage instead of selling it on Ebay, and some other more colorful things. Son gets home from school. I tell him the pedal was DOA. He says, you know one of the plugs on my One Spot doesn't work, right? Yes. I did apologise.
That was a great idea! See my post in my Quilter thread for more details. Worked great!

The only pedal board progress I made today, as I got distracted by making a speaker cabinet out of a throw away epiphone solid state amp, was testing out the cleaned up muff and tuner. The tuner seemed ok, but then seemed wonky again. Will keep futzing with it and see. The PB100 Behringer boost is working great and will be useful. The Muff sounds awesome again. Just a little scratchiness in one pot, so may hit that pot with deoxit again. Worked great with the new Quilter amp pedal.

Oh, and I found wood in our shed that will work just fine for some supports for the boards, so I didn’t have to go buy anything. Some left over oak flooring, and some other light plank of wood. Maybe cedar. Might be too soft, but maybe not. I have enough oak, but the cedar would be lighter.

Also, ordered some little parts to finish stuff off. Little clamps for cabling, some L brackets to use to make the legs sturdy, an input jack for that cabinet I built, and some additional short patch cables.
 
Last edited:
Tried out the new power supply tonight on one possible arrangement. Not done trying out all the pedals and combining stuff, etc. But just wanted to play a little through my Fender and wanted to try out the power supply. The CS12 had an appropriate spot for everything on the board, and if I needed to add a couple, in theory, I could daisy chain a couple little ones that are quiet and play nice with a little daisy chain. As long as the power needs are under the rated socket I am using.

It worked great, and the board sounded quieter than when I had stuff put together with an assortment of specific power supplies for the big stuff and a regular old One Spot daisy for the remainder. I like this pedal arrangement better than the other one I had tried out. Though I am not really sure I need the Trio on the board full time. It is more a practice tool I can just plug in at the end when I want.

DC6BEFD4-F332-4513-A51C-DAFAB6A0CC90.jpeg


Oh, btw, @Help!I'maRock!, I discovered the reason I didn’t like the Carcosa before or know how great it was was the wonky microphonic preamp tube that has been replaced. This thing is fun! And the RAT is back too. Gonna explore all the settings on those four dirt pedals a lot more. Well, five dirt pedals if you count the clean boost in the yellow one.
 
Last edited:
The CS12 had an appropriate spot for everything on the board, and if I needed to add a couple, in theory, I could daisy chain a couple little ones that are quiet and play nice with a little daisy chain. As long as the power needs are under the rated socket I am using.

Actually, so long as you don't go over the power rating for the entire unit, you can put anything wherever you want. I had a long conversation with TrueTone about this and they've insisted it's true on TGP numerous times.

Weird, you're one of those left foot wah people.

Oh, btw, @Help!I'maRock!, I discovered the reason I didn’t like the Carcosa before or know how great it was was the wonky microphonic preamp tube that has been replaced. This thing is fun! And the RAT is back too. Gonna explore all the settings on those four dirt pedals a lot more. Well, five dirt pedals if you count the clean boost in the yellow one.
Man, I hate tubes. All of my tube amps have some kinda issue and I need to get them sorted. OTOH, it's been at least 5 years since any of them have been looked at by a tech and two of them haven't even had tubes for 2 years. Hopefully by the end of the year.
 
Actually, so long as you don't go over the power rating for the entire unit, you can put anything wherever you want. I had a long conversation with TrueTone about this and they've insisted it's true on TGP numerous times.


Weird, you're one of those left foot wah people.


Man, I hate tubes. All of my tube amps have some kinda issue and I need to get them sorted. OTOH, it's been at least 5 years since any of them have been looked at by a tech and two of them haven't even had tubes for 2 years. Hopefully by the end of the year.
Hmm, maybe not on the left foot wah. I may have to rethink that.

And HaHa! I am really having fun playing with the new old tubes!
 
And good to know on the CS12. This all fits well, but if I need to move some stuff around, I won’t worry too much about it.
 
I envy you folks who can establish an actual pedalboard. I throw shit on the floor like a ‘90s grunge band and almost always cycle through shit like a madman while recording. When I’m playing live I sometimes use a tray to set up a janky pseudo pedal board with a chorus and whatever drive I’m into and maybe one other thing. But I have no set order for stuff or established anything that lasts longer than a single recording project at best.
 
I envy you folks who can establish an actual pedalboard. I throw shit on the floor like a ‘90s grunge band and almost always cycle through shit like a madman while recording. When I’m playing live I sometimes use a tray to set up a janky pseudo pedal board with a chorus and whatever drive I’m into and maybe one other thing. But I have no set order for stuff or established anything that lasts longer than a single recording project at best.
They have a really cool, and really expensive looking thing I saw on that Pedal Guys YouTube show that is a switching device that allows you to move stuff before or after other stuff with touching a few buttons. I would love to do that, as I hate committing to a line up. But, no way I am spending that money. I am just trying to remix everything, try new things, and get playing a lot more again. And twiddle the knobs a lot more. So far, the experiment is working.

Ah, I went and looked. That pedal controller is called a GigRig and is made by a company Dan from that show works for. Well, as I said, I can’t spend on something like that for my purposes. But it is cool.

Edit: @Peen Simmons , I have an old guy tendency also to want to go get stuff Cobain had and try it out, laying around on the floor. That was where the DS-1 into chorus thing came in, when I first started playing electric. But even though I have a nice chorus stomp box, and emulations in my M9, I have stupid desire to get an EHX Small Clone to see what it is about. They aren’t that expensive. At some point, I probably will.
 
Last edited:
I envy you folks who can establish an actual pedalboard. I throw shit on the floor like a ‘90s grunge band and almost always cycle through shit like a madman while recording. When I’m playing live I sometimes use a tray to set up a janky pseudo pedal board with a chorus and whatever drive I’m into and maybe one other thing. But I have no set order for stuff or established anything that lasts longer than a single recording project at best.

Even when I’m in a band, my board is always changing. The board makes me limit the number of effects I'm using so I don't bring Pedalstar Galactica.

@sunvalleylaw -

I like the way Mason puts a board together and I do similar techniques when assembling a board - Check it out.



No BBE Ben Wah? For shame...

They have a really cool, and really expensive looking thing I saw on that Pedal Guys YouTube show that is a switching device that allows you to move stuff before or after other stuff with touching a few buttons. I would love to do that, as I hate committing to a line up. But, no way I am spending that money. I am just trying to remix everything, try new things, and get playing a lot more again. And twiddle the knobs a lot more. So far, the experiment is working.

Ah, I went and looked. That pedal controller is called a GigRig and is made by a company Dan from that show works for. Well, as I said, I can’t spend on something like that for my purposes. But it is cool.

I told you Dan owns Gig Rig the other day. Do you need an accompanying Powerpoint next time? :grin:
 
Even when I’m in a band, my board is always changing. The board makes me limit the number of effects I'm using so I don't bring Pedalstar Galactica.



No BBE Ben Wah? For shame...



I told you Dan owns Gig Rig the other day. Do you need an accompanying Powerpoint next time? :grin:
Yeah, yeah, I know. I remember. But I wasn’t sure I remembered right. That was a lot of information we discussed!

Pedalstar Galactica. @Help!I'maRock! Sometimes I think that is what I am making on my larger board! My goal is to get a good lay out I can switch types of things in and out of.
 
Yeah, yeah, I know. I remember. But I wasn’t sure I remembered right. That was a lot of information we discussed!

Pedalstar Galactica. @Help!I'maRock! Sometimes I think that is what I am making on my larger board! My goal is to get a good lay out I can switch types of things in and out of.

"Pedalstar Galactica" is a term my friend's girlfriend coined one night in Jersey City. All the bands were HCFX related and she busted that gem out. I'm not sure anyone had a board larger than a Pedaltrain Classic 2 (which is the big board I have now). But everyone's boards were packed as tightly as possible to have the maximum number of effects.

My goal on a gig is "bring only what you need to survive". It's very NYC and I want to bring as little as possible with me on mass transit. That's obviously not a problem now but I don't need anything getting stolen while I'm loading/unloading my car either. So the less I can bring the better, even to a rehearsal. That's how I ended up with a PT Nano. I didn't need anything else on bass. Doesn't matter now though.
 
Last edited:
. Doesn't matter now though.
Well, I like the term. And Frack! Hopefully, it will matter again so we can cart pedal boards around and play with people in person.

Until then, I will keep working on getting my home stuff all working and the online thing going. It may be that I end up with a really small little board to use with the Quilter pedal amp into my interface. Or maybe just the M9. So far, my favorite Catalinbread foundation pedals don’t seem the same with it as with my tube amps.

Figuring all this stuff out is part of the beauty of going through this exercise.
 
Back
Top