Quarantine fitness jam

yeah that was one heck of a trip. Her family was always traveling and she did quite a bit early in her life (drove out to Oregon and up to Canada from Illinois, just her and her mom when she was like 19) and drove all the way to SW AZ by herself to secure a teaching job when she was about 26,
Anyway from Ketchum we did go south so we probably passed through the areas you mention. We took the secondary highways all the way to NE Nevada....man that has got to be the loneliest route in America. Very little in the way of even towns from what i recall. i remember there was someplace in northern NV or perhaps s. idaho we stopped at to eat because it was the ONLY place we had seen all day...it was a literal mom and pop "place" with a few tables. i think i was too afraid to eat anything other than a a bow of cereal they had. My mom had eggs i remember but she was a veteren of the old route 66 so she was used to the old 'roadhouse places....me i needed a McDnalds or something at that time :embarrassed:

93? I still remember a National Geographic article about it. https://www.prosebox.net/entry/243529/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_93
 
Last edited:
You guys make me feel inadequate. I have at least been doing a mile on the treadmill every night after dinner, along with some bench press and curls. It's better than nothing.

The important part is that you're DOING it instead of not. The rest is just details. Keep up the good work. :chewy:
 
yeah 93 it was...all the way to Las Vegas and then down into AZ I recall Ely Nevada as an oasis and the Only "Big Town" and town it was between TwinFalls Idaho and Las vegas.

At one point I applied for a bunch of forestry service jobs and one near Ely called, but they were assuming I had some place to stay since it was full of gold miners and the rent was astronomical.
 
Pulled a muscle doing Russian kettlebell swings yesterday. Still bugging me today. And my knee hurts from taking my daughter on a two hour bike ride Wednesday. And most city government buildings are closed through June 1, so no gym for me any time soon. At least I can walk the dog.
 
Nice ride today. Really big headwind on the way home.

34A82DDE-5C27-400C-BA7B-F4AEF5CD1275.jpeg
7E732C08-2CED-40A8-9C59-DC11C1C85A13.jpeg
38BBC579-033F-421A-898C-734F5E414E5C.jpeg
0605CCF9-F7D4-4E50-848B-712FD0A5F92E.jpg
 

Different part of Idaho but your rides remind me of this guy's. https://www.strava.com/athletes/21557474 http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=17242&v=28O

He'd been on the second leg of a world tour until the virus hit. Second because he had to come home to recuperate from surgery for a bowel obstruction in Tajikistan, I think it was. In the first year he climbed a mountain in the Andes and wound up having to have a middle finger amputated from frost bite. Great pics/read. He was in NZ too.
 
At one point I applied for a bunch of forestry service jobs and one near Ely called, but they were assuming I had some place to stay since it was full of gold miners and the rent was astronomical.
Yeah Ely is an old mi ing town. I recall it was also forestry in an otherwise high desert plains area. it was like an island surounded bu miles of plains and rolling hills....it gets cold as fuck there too. Wikipedia says it averages 217 days per year of 32 degrees or below with -29 being it's l;owest recorded. It is also dry most likely , a dry cold.
 
OK now you're just showing off your beautiful scenery. Wait till I go on my next mountain bike ride. You think you have mountains??
Oh, I know you have mountains over there too. And volcanic, and subduction zone ones. What are you closest too? Yosemite area? Tahoe?

I love the Cascades and Olympics where I was raised too. Very dramatic rising up from the sea and lakes. But harder to get to on a normal work day, if you live in the Seattle area, than me getting to this on a less than 2 hour bike ride out and back from my house. :wink:

And yeah, I was just showing off there. But you gotta find your silver linings when you also have to deal with the lady in the park in the other thread, and the people who inspire her, in your state.
 
some of us wouldn't mind seeing mundane Los Angelas pics or wherever you are either....pics should be mandatory in this thread or it didn't happen :mad:
Yes! Cycling is awesome wherever you can do it safely! Would love to see pics of people’s urban/suburban or other rural adventures! @Tig posts good pics of rides he has found that I believe are pretty close in to town for him!
 
Different part of Idaho but your rides remind me of this guy's. https://www.strava.com/athletes/21557474 http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=17242&v=28O

He'd been on the second leg of a world tour until the virus hit. Second because he had to come home to recuperate from surgery for a bowel obstruction in Tajikistan, I think it was. In the first year he climbed a mountain in the Andes and wound up having to have a middle finger amputated from frost bite. Great pics/read. He was in NZ too.
On another note, that town I passed through on that ride was a big mine also. And was a Superfund site. I think still is. Don’t drink from the streams right there by the mines. As you know, I am not a heavy metal fan.

Yeah, this guy’s ride is pretty amazing! He skirted north of me, more east-west, through mountains and river valleys from Salmon/Challis area, through Stanley, north of us where we go a fair amount in the summer to camp and boat on the lakes, and then over to the Boise area via the backroads that way. I need to see how he did that route. There is a big gravel route out there and some big 24 hour race starting in the Boise area that traverses that area. I think there are some hot springs spots in there too. Thanks for the link!

I tend to prefer touring at least semi-supported, and not as a full bike-packer, as that is just a little too extreme for me. But I think there could be some fun options to explore locally, without going quite as crazy as he did.
 
I went a day early on squats. 225x17 with no support gear. Still not quite to the 20 rep goal yet. Rep #17 was definitely the last one I could manage.

I really need to figure out something better for aerobic work. I'm not going to stop squats and deadlifts but they limit my legs for running. Bike riding might be easier on the knees but it still taxes the quads, plus my area isn't conducive to safe riding.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I know you have mountains over there too. And volcanic, and subduction zone ones. What are you closest too? Yosemite area? Tahoe?

I love the Cascades and Olympics where I was raised too. Very dramatic rising up from the sea and lakes. But harder to get to on a normal work day, if you live in the Seattle area, than me getting to this on a less than 2 hour bike ride out and back from my house. :wink:

And yeah, I was just showing off there. But you gotta find your silver linings when you also have to deal with the lady in the park in the other thread, and the people who inspire her, in your state.

No, I'm jealous. Keep the pics coming!

San Gabriels, 4 miles from my house, overlooking all of LA. Highest point is around 7,000 ft elevation, rugged terrain, not many people living up there. The front peaks that I ride to are around 4,500 ft, Mt Wilson. An hour away we have the San Bernardino mountains, with Big Bear skiing areas and residential mountain communities. And then when I want to go camping in the Sierras I go to the eastern Sierras about 3.5 hours away, Lone Pine/Mt Whitney being the closest (Mt Whitney highest peak in the lower 48). Yosemite and Tahoe are a few hours beyond that, about the furthest from me in the Sierras.

But in 5 minutes by car I can get to trailheads that lead to some of the most beautiful and remote scenery around.
 
I'm too old to go on the big climbs around here though I have toyed with the idea of riding to the coast and back. But it's about 80 or so miles round trip and I always start and finish from home and that's too far with too much climbing for me. Some real nice scenery especially now before it gets all brown (or burnt :P). I don't like stopping much either when I ride so I rarely take pictures though I did when I was up in the PNW for friends back here mostly to show what the world looks like when it is green in August :grin:
 
Did my standard 4 mile run today but pushed my kiddo in the jogging stroller. Our nanny came along on a bike. Shes half my age and was struggling to keep up after a few hills.

I'm like a frickin gazelle!
 
Back
Top