What happened to this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The responses to this thread are an excellent illustration of why many no longer visit regularly.
I pop in from time to time to see if anything has changed then I see it hasn't...
 
And, yes, Jello you are absolutely correct in your assessment that the inclusion of politics here is what has driven members away.

Like sports, many of us use music as a means to escape the turbulence of our insane world. Just like espn is killing sports with their turn toward politics, another refuge is gone here.
 
And, yes, Jello you are absolutely correct in your assessment that the inclusion of politics here is what has driven members away.

Like sports, many of us use music as a means to escape the turbulence of our insane world. Just like espn is killing sports with their turn toward politics, another refuge is gone here.


I miss having you around EG, your build threads were some of my favorites and I genuinely liked a lot of the contributions you made.

But here is your first post in months
Since Obamacare has left me unemployed

If politics drove you away, why is your first post back politically charged?
 
And, yes, Jello you are absolutely correct in your assessment that the inclusion of politics here is what has driven members away.

Like sports, many of us use music as a means to escape the turbulence of our insane world. Just like espn is killing sports with their turn toward politics, another refuge is gone here.

Sports have always been political and always will be. They're also religious. You can't remove either one. Same goes for music.

I read a lot of Breitbart, mostly as satire, because there's really no other way to compartmentalize it. The denizens of the Breitbart forums claim they no longer consume lots of entertainment, including sports, movies, tv, and music, because of the political views of those involved in creating it. I'm all for that. It's called speaking with your dollars. But you've also got to speak with your time. If you don't want to be somewhere, don't be there. It's really that simple.
 
An actual picture of MWGL three years ago...

916272pleasantville_1998_hdclub_mkv_11_24_331_000032.jpg


An actual picture of MWGL today...

3db9aaefb1b349624090184e3ab37eed.jpg
 
I miss having you around EG, your build threads were some of my favorites and I genuinely liked a lot of the contributions you made.

But here is your first post in months


If politics drove you away, why is your first post back politically charged?

Because that's how it works here now.
 
Sports have always been political and always will be. They're also religious. You can't remove either one. Same goes for music.

I read a lot of Breitbart, mostly as satire, because there's really no other way to compartmentalize it. The denizens of the Breitbart forums claim they no longer consume lots of entertainment, including sports, movies, tv, and music, because of the political views of those involved in creating it. I'm all for that. It's called speaking with your dollars. But you've also got to speak with your time. If you don't want to be somewhere, don't be there. It's really that simple.

Then, see you in the funny papers.
 
You can always tell the forumites who ruin the Internet for the rest of us. And yeah, America too. And especially Catholicism.

Anyway. How's the novel coming?
 
I don't care for the churches in my town. I don't agree with the way they spout mythology as truth and encourage blind faith in books written by multiple committees over millennia. Sometimes I attend their masses and things and I listen and think.

I don't go to the town government and tell them that I don't like these churches, and therefore they need to go. I don't try to plant seeds of discontent within the community. I deal with it like a fucking educated and tolerant adult and I hold my respect for other educated and tolerant adults who have opinions that sometimes differ from my own.

I think this thread has caused more trouble than the politics thread has, and the latter is much older and much much longer.
 
I don't care for the churches in my town. I don't agree with the way they spout mythology as truth and encourage blind faith in books written by multiple committees over millennia. Sometimes I attend their masses and things and I listen and think.

I don't go to the town government and tell them that I don't like these churches, and therefore they need to go. I don't try to plant seeds of discontent within the community. I deal with it like a fucking educated and tolerant adult and I hold my respect for other educated and tolerant adults who have opinions that sometimes differ from my own.

I think this thread has caused more trouble than the politics thread has, and the latter is much older and much much longer.

This thread is the last beacon of hope in an era of decline and chaos. May it live for a million years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top