Book jam - what you all reading?

Yeah, when we did WW2 in school it was mainly things like the blitz, evacuation and rationing, D-Day/western front etc. The eastern front barely got a mention, despite it being the most critical and bloody part of the war by far, and the likes of Finland never got a mention. I suppose there's only so much you can teach about it in school, so I'd like to learn more about it now

I was listening to a couple of podcasts from Dan Carlin called Ghosts of the Ostfront , they are a pretty good primer on the eastern front at least
 
Yeah, when we did WW2 in school it was mainly things like the blitz, evacuation and rationing, D-Day/western front etc. The eastern front barely got a mention, despite it being the most critical and bloody part of the war by far, and the likes of Finland never got a mention. I suppose there's only so much you can teach about it in school, so I'd like to learn more about it now

I was listening to a couple of podcasts from Dan Carlin called Ghosts of the Ostfront , they are a pretty good primer on the eastern front at least
I've been listening to Dan for a several months now. Love his Hardcore History. I'll have to check that one out.
 
My daughter bought me this:
41dx-INlZiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg
 
Having just seen the Ender's Game movie, I'm looking to read the novel and the sequels. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it appears that not all of the "sequels" are actually part of the story line. Any suggestions on which to skip (if any) and what order to read them?
I read the first four and found that it was a decent enough stopping place. Ender's Game, Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

Since i finished A Story of Ilium, ive been reading through the Sandman Slim series again as a new one is supposed to be out at the end of august. Also looking forward to Emaculum by Roberto Calas.
 
Found a nice first edition of Richard Adams' Shardik lurking in the shelves of the local used book store for only $7.99. I always meant to get around to reading it one day, so this seemed like a pretty good excuse to do so.
 
I am currently reading The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie, a 1922 novel that first introduced Tuppence and Tommy; characters who aged and grew in subsequent books. Very interesting post WW1 attitudes and beliefs.
 
I'm about six chapters in to East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
I finished The Swerve awhile ago, but I'm still working my way through On The Nature of Things by Lucretius.
 
Talk about your guilty pleasures. After years of reading nothing but technical manuals I've been on full fledged fiction spree. I blame it on game of thrones. Since there is still no release date for the Winds of Winter I've been forced to look elsewhere for medieval sex and ultra-violence.
First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie is pretty good. I also enjoyed the Raven series by Giles Kristian.
 
Please give us a thumbs-up-or-down when you finish it, I'm a pretty big King fan.

That is a new one I gather?

Well, I stopped reading at 90 pages into the 533. If it were more like most of his books, I'd keep reading, but this one is all crime drama so far.

I'm now reading Gregg Allman's autobiography, My Crosses to Bear.
51BK-QyKUhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 
Well, I stopped reading at 90 pages into the 533. If it were more like most of his books, I'd keep reading, but this one is all crime drama so far.

I'm now reading Gregg Allman's autobiography, My Crosses to Bear.
51BK-QyKUhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I enjoyed Alan Light's The Broken or the Holy - the story of the song Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen, and Jeff Buckley. Bodes well for the Allman book.
 
I just started this:

Twelve+II.jpg


Napoleon has invaded Russia, so the Russians ask some vampires for help. Not knowing they are vampires....

So far so good, I'm 3 chapters in and haven't met the vampires yet.
 
Re-reading The Giver. Mrs. Slim use to teach it in her Jr High English class. Read it prob 15 yrs ago.
Since we'll be going to the movie, figured I'd re read the story first to see what they change in the movie version.
 
Back
Top