Your favorite song by....gonna have to dig deep, and you're gonna be like "Yeah"!

Yeah! When the first Led Zep album came out, it sounded different. You gotta remember that.
"Communication Breakdown" is my favorite song off that innovative album, just not heavy metal.
Very campy, boozy pychedelic blues, that's all. Swagger without the Jagger.

The second album pushed harder, "Whole Lotta Love" being as close to Jimi's headphone productions as anyone got back then.

Too bad Robert Plant blew out his voice during the second American tour, just imitating himself since then.
The Allman Brothers Band took over from there, for me.

Doing "Whole Lotta Love" as a disco tune in the early eighties went over better than the original.
"You need coolin' babe, and babe I'm not foolin'."

When The Levee Breaks, because the drums sound like god is kickin' down the door to send your ass to hell.

Throw me in the Predictable Answer and the Don't Like Zep camp.

I must admit, I am a bit suprised (totally suprised, actually) by the answers here.

I would have figured that Jimmy Page was standard issue for rock/blues 101.
Hmmmph. What do I know?

I'm 40, but figured it would be standard learning along the way.....not that I can play JP note for note or anything, but his talent on the LP (especially) is noteworthy, I would think.
Hmmmph. Who-would-have-figured.

Jesus, guess I AM old.

I must admit, I am a bit suprised (totally suprised, actually) by the answers here.

I would have figured that Jimmy Page was standard issue for rock/blues 101.
Hmmmph. What do I know?

I'm 40, but figured it would be standard learning along the way.....not that I can play JP note for note or anything, but his talent on the LP (especially) is noteworthy, I would think.
Hmmmph. Who-would-have-figured.

Jesus, guess I AM old.

i'm 33. i didn't hear Zep until i was 18, and was much more influenced by Aerosmith and Black Sabbath. so they really haven't ever been a primary influence on me. an influence for sure, because if you're breathing and you play guitar, you've been at least 2nd hand influenced by Zep, but in much more of a music appreciation/historical influence manner. they were certainly on my path to the blues. but i'm certainly no purist either.

Got to challenge that one.

No, they weren't. They were poineers into genres of music not considered "Rock" before.

But, I cave......what songs, other than "Good Times, Bad Times" by LZ do you enjoy playing? Any?

Why do Zep fanbois insist on doing that schtick?

Really, that fucking annoys me. Sure, they were influential THEN on the bluesrock scene, but as far as metal, folk/rock and similar they were FAR surpassed by Sabbath and Fairport Convention. Seriously, I grew up in the 80s and Zep have never really been a big influence on anything I've done (apart from Jones/Bonham). I've always been quite vocal in not appreciating Page and Plant much.

I insist you specify properly.

For just about every genre I hear the Zep fanbois say they influenced I can almost always come up with a better and more influential band.
Granted, Jimmy came up with some reallly cool riffs (or did he really, by court of law?), but other than the 2 John's - they weren't too much to brag about live.

Fucking hell, micwalt sings Black Dog better than Plant ever did imo.

Why do Zep fanbois insist on doing that schtick?

Really, that fucking annoys me. Sure, they were influential THEN on the bluesrock scene, but as far as metal, folk/rock and similar they were FAR surpassed by Sabbath and Fairport Convention. Seriously, I grew up in the 80s and Zep have never really been a big influence on anything I've done (apart from Jones/Bonham). I've always been quite vocal in not appreciating Page and Plant much.

I insist you specify properly.

For just about every genre I hear the Zep fanbois say they influenced I can almost always come up with a better and more influential band.
Granted, Jimmy came up with some reallly cool riffs (or did he really, by court of law?), but other than the 2 John's - they weren't too much to brag about live.

Fucking hell, micwalt sings Black Dog better than Plant ever did imo.

Whenever I hear some twat say that Zep was a bigger influence on metal than Sabbath I want to smack them with my Hand of Doom... :facepalm:

I went through a huge Zep phase in my early twenties, and then I realized that Plant can't fucking sing.

Still, I have some favorites.

Ten Years Gone. Particularly the Page/Crowes version.

Of course, it was the Page/Crowes collaboration that really illustrated for me what I'd been hearing for years, that Page is a damn sloppy player. The end of his solo almost ruins the Crowes version of Ten Years Gone for me, but Chris and the boys make up for it.

Other Zep faves
Rain Song
Houses of the Holy
Gallows Pole

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started with lessons, there was a series of "easy guitar tab" books on the market & every shop had them. My teacher recommended the Zep book so most of the first real rock songs that I learned on guitar were Led Zep songs....my folks had several LPs that I used to spin as a kid so I was game. I'm not a huge fan but I like 'em. This is one of my favorites:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carouselambra for me as well,just because it's one of those Zep songs you don't hear on the radio ad nauseum. Also because the keyboards in it make it sound cooler than the normal Zep tune.

And while I'm at it... the kittehs have something to say..... not a bad tune either IMHO.

[video]http://youtu.be/ApxnAr6pRt0[/video]

Last edited:
That's really hard, as they are one of my favorite rock bands... Achilles Last Stand and Kashmir are such great songs... Still, I would pick No Quarter as my favorite...

Back