Yogurt or Yoghurt : let's discuss it

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
Why does big business feel the need to force upon us "greek style" at the expense of losing the option of "regular " style. For the past year or two there has been an alarming increase in "greek style" at the yogurt sections. So much so that it is now almost impossible to find a non greek style. Some 9myself included" prefer a runny style yoghurt such as can be found at Whole foods, etc. We don't wan't or need our spoon to stand upright in a plaster of "dairy bacteria". Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy on the rare ocassion a thich yoghurt but ingeneral I like a runny yogurt, one I can easily mix some muesli of grape nuts in. I just wish the big chain supermarkets would give us more options, i don't want to make a special trip to Whole foods just for yogurt.

Where do stand on this matter ?

I think they really scammed us with this greek yogurt fad. it basically doubled the price and I am not certain it really costs them any extra to make it.

I think they really scammed us with this greek yogurt fad. it basically doubled the price and I am not certain it really costs them any extra to make it.

It's strained yogurt, so you start with more or less double the volume, put it in a sieve, and let about half the volume drain out as liquid and retain the remaining, thicker (with more solids) yogurt. The price difference is pretty fair.

I like both greek and regular yogurt, but am not having any trouble finding Ddbob's beloved "runny" yogurt at my local vendors.

rs_1024x629-150206145720-1024-spaceballs-remake2.jw.2615.jpg

I like both regular yogurt and Greek yogurt, but I'm also very picky about which ones I like. I prefer full fat and low added sugar. And for fuck's sake - no artificial sweeteners.

There is a third option, though I am not sure what the difference is between it and Greek yogurt, it is Australian yogurt. I have seen a few companies making it. I prefer the runnier traditional yogurt myself as well. The less Americanized the better. I generally buy plain yogurt at Trader Joes and add my own flavors (fresh fruit, oatmeal, honey).

They both have their place. We generally have a quart each of the regular and greek unflavored yoghurt (as well as a quart of kefir) in the fridge...

I’ve switched to Scandinavian yogurt. It’s almost as thick as ice cream and uses significantly less sugar. It’s the least shitty option in Colorado short of sheep’s milk yogurt, but that stuff is crazy expensive.

My yogurt pet peeve is that most yogurt tastes like candy, unless it’s kid’s yogurt, then it tastes like cotton candy. IMHO yogurt should have two ingredients: milk and cultures. Anything else is either masking poor quality or a using flavoring as a marketing gimmick. 99.9% of the yogurt sold in the USA is probably guilty of both—the only great yogurt I’ve had comes from small producers in upstate New York.

I like the Vanilla Greek yogurt and mix my cereal and blue berries in it all the time. I never thought they were killing off the other kind. Never crossed my mind in fact.

More protein in the Greek stuff.

Or, the protein is more concentrated. The protein to calorie ratio is the same. You can eat twice as much of the regular to get the same protein and calorie. It comes down to your preferences on volume and mouthfeel.

I've never bought Greek yogurt. I've also made tzatziki with regular yogurt and it was fine by me.

*spits*

It's strained yogurt, so you start with more or less double the volume, put it in a sieve, and let about half the volume drain out as liquid and retain the remaining, thicker (with more solids) yogurt. The price difference is pretty fair.

I like both greek and regular yogurt, but am not having any trouble finding Ddbob's beloved "runny" yogurt at my local vendors.

Have you shopped at Safeway, Albertans or Fry's in Tucson ? If so you'd come to the same conclusion as I. The options have been minimized. It's now in the ballpark of 98 percent Greek/thick yoghurt and like 1 percent regular/normal/mericahn and like 1 percent kefir (which i love). Whole foods has the good ones , those small farms ones but like I said I don't wanna make a special trip even though i have one less than 5 minutes away. The supermarkets here are nothing but Yocrap, Chobani, fage and Dannon. Maybe I should buy the big tub of Mt.high plain and add my own maple syrup...hmmm. eat0

More protein in the Greek stuff.

I've never had a defiency of protein. I eat yogurt cuz i like the taste and for the good bacteria, same reason i drink kombucha when I can afford it...tastes good and good bacteria.

Back