Yay amps.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Luckily I have my "new" Deluxe reverb to work with but I've been waiting until spring break (which this is) to take care of my Suhr and 1969 Deluxe Reverb. The Deluxe has an intermittent vibrato channel and the Badger 30 I thought just had a bad tube (thats what the customer service at Suhr suggested I look at) but after swapping each preamp tube out it still sounds like a bag of smashed assholes so off to Kevin Nelson both amps go. I might bring the Silvertone too since it was blowing fuses the last time I used it.

What I wasn't expecting was the speaker to falll out of the fucking baffle on the Badger 30:

17553607_10155202972592425_1312983358829384297_n.jpg

I must of dropped it or it fell over the night Jack passed away (that was the gig this amp also "passed away"
on). When I leaned it over to take the back off the whole thing kind of lurched and when I opened it up this is what I found. The threaded inserts pushed right back in but I might secure it with something else too before I put it back together.

Isn't that the cabinet you got on eBay or something, cuz the original was a separate head and cab setup, right?

Shit, you would think for the money that thing cost they would have a better solution for speaker mounting than crappy threaded inserts...

That was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw this. If it was a Monoprice amp I wouldn’t be surprised, but a Suhr?

That's something.....did it fall straight out or did it wind up bending and mangling anything in the process?

The inserts are in backwards for a rear mounted speaker. Maybe the speaker was supposed to be front mounted? Does the grill come off? If so just push the inserts back in and front mount the speaker.

I’d send the pics to Suhr and ask about this. Maybe some new employee fucked up.

I agree, with @telecaster911, the logical move would have been to put the T-nut through from the front with the screw coming from back. They are supposed to work like this...
MSTNk-1.jpg
me5jWgIlIPGeI4ETBwSRRFw.jpg

What you have is amateur hour, like they tried to save time and added the inserts after the grill cloth.

I’d send the pics to Suhr and ask about this. Maybe some new employee fucked up.
Well, I bought the cabinet second hand from someone on TGP some years ago and put the head and the speaker in myself so whoever fucked this one up probably doesn't work for them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just plopped out without any damage.

You're lucky, it had the potential to torque the frame. Just screwing in a speaker too tight or unevenly can do that.

Looks like it could use a new gasket since the t-nuts have crushed it to the frame.

You're lucky, it had the potential to torque the frame. Just screwing in a speaker too tight or unevenly can do that.

Looks like it could use a new gasket since the t-nuts have crushed it to the frame.
I'm going to try and fix this before I take it into the shop for the other issues this morning and I'll inspect closer.

Just put the t nut in from the front. If you can pull the grill cloth out enough to get it in there. Use the screw with a washer to pull it into the wood. Try to catch the existing holes for the stakes.

Just put the t nut in from the front. If you can pull the grill cloth out enough to get it in there. Use the screw with a washer to pull it into the wood. Try to catch the existing holes for the stakes.
I think I can pull the grill cloth off. I've never done it but there are a couple of pull tabs on the bottom front of the grill.

I'd get that Suhr put back together and on the auction block. Between it biting the dust and the speaker mounting, I am at a loss. An amp that expensive should be better. Now that you have the 2 Deluxe Reverbs you should be set. You could either take the money from the Suhr sale and buy a 68 custom for a reliable backup, or get a good builder to build you a DR.

I'd get that Suhr put back together and on the auction block. Between it biting the dust and the speaker mounting, I am at a loss. An amp that expensive should be better. Now that you have the 2 Deluxe Reverbs you should be set. You could either take the money from the Suhr sale and buy a 68 custom for a reliable backup, or get a good builder to build you a DR.
Honestly I had been thinking about selling the Suhr and getting a Redplate Magica combo for my "Modern" combo for a while now...I keep trying them at the LA Amp show and thinking that that is the one channel switching amp I could be happy with:

Back