When did you realise you were all grown up?

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
Yesterday I got super excited when my new steam clean mop arrived, and then a little bit of me died realising that this is the kind of stuff that interests me now :grin: :facepalm:

When I bought a sofa (and got rid of the futon). When my furniture no longer disassembled for easy moving, a sense of permanence kicked in.

Reactions: Tig
I broke up with a high-maintenance girlfriend, received a statement from my credit card company for almost $4000 I didn't have money to pay, and decided I wasn't about to ask mom and dad to bail me out.

Incremental steps,
like my first real job, getting married and buying my first house, the birth of my son, the graduation of my son...

When I got an AARP sign up packet in the mail. I think they may have been looking for my dad seeing as I am only 43.

Athough I still only order toys I think the grown up thing started when envelopes with windows started showing up with my name on them. Oh, and having a kid. That will slap you in the face with some reality.

My realization came with (surprise) therapy. That's when I began to realize I deserved good things and could have good things, and I stopped sabotaging myself. The past 23 years have been the best years of my life.

Reactions: Tig
I feel split. There is the part that is responsible for a family and business that knows I MUST be an adult if all of this shit is happening but the "inner Mark" still feels like a 15 year old most of the time.

2003 I called my dad and asked for advice. He seemed shocked on the phone and I didn't know why. As I got off the phone I realised that was the only time I could remember that I had asked im for advice. Then I realised for good or bad I had been doing this all along, this grown-up thing.

I'm not sure. I feel grown up now (unfortunately), and I remember not feeling grown up not too long ago. But I wasn't paying attention when the change happened.

Back