What type of guitar do you have a love/hate relationship with...

Gotta be the SG.

Love to hear 'em, hate to look at at 'em.

Sorry, I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate the way they look.

I never keep a guitar for very long. So I probably have a love hate relationship with the guitar in general.

There are two I regret selling. My J Mascis jazzmaster, and my early 90's Burny lp in royal purple.

Well, I just moved a few guitars that I don't play much, including a few that I will miss (my MIM Arctic White HSS Strat I will miss the most). I still have a Schecter C-1 Elite with which I have a love/hate relationship. I love everything about it, except for the extreme gloss on the neck. It makes it tougher to play in the high humidity summers here in Tennessee. Any other time, it's a jewel. I really came close to giving it up, but I just couldn't do it.

2ca903eb-cc8e-4326-9289-900e918cf74d_zpsb6c837e0.jpg
Have you tried using steel wool 0000 on it? I used to do that to my overly glossy Les Paul and it was a temporary way to make it more satin feeling. It's not permanent either so that's always a plus

Last edited:
I probably have a few, but the one that immediately comes to mind is Hamer. I love the designs and think the USA guitars are very well put together. i hate the flat radius fretboards. i've often thought of getting one and having the neck re-radius'd, but that's not really my style and i have enough gear already to go through with that.

oh, and i will always have a place in my heart for super-strat type guitars like the original Ibanez Jems, but i never pull the trigger on any i see because of the thin neck profile and ultra-flat fretboard radius and locking floating trems. i had a JS1000 once that was a wonderful guitar with a neck carve more like a strat (chunkier), but the floating trems are such a frustrating enigma to me - i have seen numerous videos that make setting up a trem look super-easy, but i'm an idiot and can never get it dialed in the way i like it.

Have you tried using steel wool 0000 on it? I used to do that to my overly glossy Les Paul and it was a temporary way to make it more satin feeling. It's not permanent either so that's always a plus

I actually used a good polish on the neck (Doug's suggestion), and it has help quite a bit. I know it's also a temporary solution, so I'll have to keep doing it.

I always look at LPs but never buy. Bandmate had a nice black custom and it was like a train hanging on my neck. He eventually sold it for the same reason.

Rickenbacker 325. Every time I'd go to the store guitar shopping I'd see one and go I want that. Then I'd try it out and buy something else. This went on for years. I must have tried a hundred of them. I gave up. Then one day I heard of a very special one available in South Carolina. I got on the phone and bought it site unseen. It showed up at my house and I opened the box and fell in love with it. Then I played it. Every so often I get the urge to take it for a spin. Three minutes later I'm looking for something else to play. I want to love it I really do, but playing it for a few minutes makes me want to haul something big like a Gretsch Country Gent out.

Les Pauls. I still want one (or at least one similar to one...) but most of them leave me flat. @jaxn slim's LP and @telecaster911's are the two best I've ever played and that's what I want out of an LP. It'll never be my #1, but it's a sound and a feel that I want in my collection.

I love Leo Fender’s guitar designs. I think they’re stellar examples of American mid-century modernism: simple, gorgeous, and utterly practical, designed for the player rather than for attracting attention on stage or in a store windows as some guitars have been.

But I fucking hate playing them. I don’t like the 25.5" scale and my hands and wrists just never get along with Fender necks. But I’m a weirdo.

I probably have a few, but the one that immediately comes to mind is Hamer. I love the designs and think the USA guitars are very well put together. i hate the flat radius fretboards. i've often thought of getting one and having the neck re-radius'd, but that's not really my style and i have enough gear already to go through with that.
YES!!! Of course, Ben, you and I have had several conversations about this. And I've tried...so many times. The most recent was an amazing Korina artist model...but yeah, it's a deal breaker. I'm so used to the 10" radius now that even Gibson's 12 feels a little flat.

Back