What type of guitar do you have a love/hate relationship with...

For me it's the Strat as well. I've tried and tried for many years to get into them and still can't. Figuring that it has always been the the quacky pickups that put me off I even spent about $1K putting together an HH version that I'm sure is a great guitar for everyone but me. I don't believe that wood, body shape, hardware etc. make or break a solid body guitar but yet here I am. Give me a Tele, LP or just about any other quality guitar and I'm happy. But, hand me the best Strat ever made and it still leaves me cold. It's a complete irrational reaction that I've pondered for a very long time and still can't figure out the reason for my prejudice.

Last edited:
I'd have to say electric guitars. I love how they look, I love the sounds many get from them, I love that the action is so much better than an acoustic. On the other hand, I really don't like how they feel for me, I can never quite get the sound I want, and they, for me at least, sound horrible as a solo instrument.

I'd have to say electric guitars. I love how they look, I love the sounds many get from them, I love that the action is so much better than an acoustic. On the other hand, I really don't like how they feel for me, I can never quite get the sound I want, and they, for me at least, sound horrible as a solo instrument.

Having spent about 12 years of my guitar playing life on acoustic only I completely understand what you are saying. I still play my acoustics on occasion and every time I do it takes me back to the days when that was all I did. The difference is profound and very much like the difference between an acoustic piano and an electric. In the end I wound up playing both but the transition between to two is not an easy thing. But, hey Gary, don't give up on the electric. Once you get a grip on the lighter touch and finesse that the electric requires it can be very rewarding.

Having spent about 12 years of my guitar playing life on acoustic only I completely understand what you are saying. I still play my acoustics on occasion and every time I do it takes me back to the days when that was all I did. The difference is profound and very much like the difference between an acoustic piano and an electric. In the end I wound up playing both but the transition between to two is not an easy thing. But hey, Gary don't give up on the electric. Once you get a grip on the lighter touch and finesse that the electric requires it can be very rewarding.
I just don't see myself playing in a band setting; I am first and foremost an acoustic singer/songwriter. I hold on to the electrics and may have the use for them yet, but the acoustics are where it is at for me.

I just don't see myself playing in a band setting; I am first and foremost an acoustic singer/songwriter. I hold on to the electrics and may have the use for them yet, but the acoustics are where it is at for me.

And that's a good thing. If it feels right then that's where you ought to be. Fact is that rhythm/singer has always been my forte. Given my druthers I'd be completely happy strumming my acoustic, howling at the moon and throwing in a few harp licks. Actually the primary reason that I took to the electric is that so many folks I've played with and so many venues I've played require me to do that. Otherwise I'd be perfectly content to sit on the back porch doing that thing I love to do.

Last edited:
And that's a good thing. If it feels right then that's where you ought to be. Fact is that rhythm/singer has always been my forte. Given my druthers I'd be completely happy strumming my acoustic, howling at the moon and throwing in a few harp licks. Actually the primary reason that I took to the electric is that so many folks I've played with and so many venues I've played require me to do that. Otherwise I'd be perfectly content to sit on the back porch doing that thing I love to do.
I think many folkies dream of being a rock and roller, it may go the other way as well. Neil Young has done an amazing job of balancing the two.

That's true. As impressed as I have always been by electric guitar killers I have also been equally impressed by acoustic rhythm guys who have an act that knocks folks down.
Artists like Elvis, Bod Dylan, Jim Croce and many many others come to mind. I've heard your stuff and it's good. Enjoy.

SG. I love the looks of them, probably more than any other guitar. When I try to play one, they just hang strange to me. Its like the frets are 1 position off, like if I try to play an open E chord without looking, I end up with an F. And I hate the position of the strap button.

This for me also. For all the same reasons, plus the thin body and the neck heaviness. I love the way they sound, and they look cool. Just not for me!

Back