What are you listening to, right this minute, right this moment?

gillianalbumart_sq-1d4e4bf9ded3042e7903435cd6e23554a80b253c-s300-c85.jpg

Oh, the Hooters. It was sooooooo good at one point (before they signed, circa 1983). Hangin' on a Heartbeat.

I'm listening to ..... ummmmmmmmm .... Bob Seger.

You don't have to be sheepish about listening to Bob Seger, man. I love lots of his old stuff.

If you knew me, you'd know I'm hardly sheepish about my musical taste(s). My musical tastes are darn expensive (as a critic, A&R person, talent manager and booker). I was making light of how uncool Bob Seger is, in a sense.

Know that I used to make tour vans full of snotty alt-indie rockers sing along to Gordon Lightfoot. And would do it again.

Long live Seger, and all who played in the Silver Bullet Band.

Isn't all of his stuff old stuff at this point? He's another guy that I grew up listening to. Always dug his voice.

Well yeah, but I mean pretty much everything of his pre-1982 is just frickin' killer. He had a great voice (which falls right in the middle of my own vocal range, which is nice) and he wrote great songs.

Isn't all of his stuff old stuff at this point? He's another guy that I grew up listening to. Always dug his voice.

Yeah, his voice ... just terrific. My uncle went to Michigan in the 60's, said he used to see Seger in clubs and it was cray cray ... bet it was.

Hoping this doesn't come off wrong, but I'd love to hear a new album from him. (Unlike, say, the Stones, whose new record I'm sure will be passable, third rate bar blues).

Yeah, his voice ... just terrific. My uncle went to Michigan in the 60's, said he used to see Seger in clubs and it was cray cray ... bet it was.

Hoping this doesn't come off wrong, but I'd love to hear a new album from him. (Unlike, say, the Stones, whose new record I'm sure will be passable, third rate bar blues).

Yeah, like GD pointed out he's written some great songs.

Unfortunately as his popularity diminished he stepped away from making music. Unlike the Eagles who could force you to listen to their new stuff, I'm not sure Seger could get away doing much of any new stuff live. In his situation it's almost a pointless effort to create and then try to promote something new, especially when even the biggest "albums" of each year rarely and/or barely go platinum. The cost benefit ratio of recording and promoting new stuff isn't there for a rock musician in their 70s. Maybe if he'd stayed in the game like a McCartney, Neil Young, Clapton...

Cost benefit? Call me silly, but hasn't he surpassed the need for practicality? I'm literally wondering what's on his mind. He was always sort of a Midwestern Springsteen-ish 'voice' to me. Just would like to hear what his thoughts are these days, musically and lyrically.

Cost benefit? Call me silly, but hasn't he surpassed the need for practicality? I'm literally wondering what's on his mind. He was always sort of a Midwestern Springsteen-ish 'voice' to me. Just would like to hear what his thoughts are these days, musically and lyrically.

I agree, but he's from an era where you sold lots of albums, actual physical units bringing in actual dollars. Putting asses in seats playing arenas and even stadiums that folks spent money on. Recording new music won't do that anymore. Artistically, you're write. At this point were I in his shoes, I be playing new songs live and just recording them every night and releasing the best versions...maybe as singles or collect a few. But spending the time and money on the traditional writing/recording process seems nearly pointless. Album sales are in the shitter even for acts whose fans grew up buying albums, cassettes, and CDs. Most of that generation clearly isn't chomping at the bit to hear new stuff from long loved artists, they just want a greatest hits show. Bob's 2014-15 tour provided that and quite successfully from what I understand.

Having said all of that, a small investment of some of his Chevy money and he can do all the recording he wants on his own time/dime...if he hasn't already. He can sell the music (physically or digitally) directly to fans and use the now "traditional" digital outlets of iTunes and Amazon to sell downloads.

One wonders if there's anything in the well. I would tend to think there is, but artists are often their own harshest critics and my favorites tend to not like repeating themselves...so maybe nothing is up to his standard at this point.

Sorry...rambling.

Hey, I like the rambling. Not sure what makes writing/recording 'worth it' for artists. I know I do it, with literally no chance whatsoever of any 'reward' other than my own satisfaction. And a lot of artists these days write/record as they wish, and just release things digitally as they bubble to the surface.

Do songwriting performers ever really stop writing? I dunno. I know some fairly famous multi-decade artists, and they seem to need to keep doing it beyond reasons that are financial. And sometimes that's great, and others .... well, thanks Mick and Keith.

What I do know is that I'd be more interested in a 'mature' (read: music by old person) album from Seger than many others.

Back