WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO....RIGHT NOW Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just released today...

ce0bbcb160db51377984ef857c979fef.jpg

Haven’t spun this one in around 20 years I bet:

R-431746-1350020053-2354.jpeg.jpg

Never was a favorite of mine, and I’ve never seen it mentioned in any discussion of Zappa’s best. There is some interesting stuff on here though, we’ll see how it strikes me after all this time.

If I can survive “Valley Girl,” that is. :grin:

Can’t comprehend how freakishly talented she is.

I've never heard much Purcell, but I really like how the melody goes through different minor modes. In more modern music, 99% of the time, they stuck/stick w/one mode- If it started in Aolian, it usually only used Aolian, if it started in Harmonic Minor, it usually only uses harmonic minor ( Yngvie? ). Purcell uses Aolian, phygian, & harmonic minor at will, depending on what he wanted the melody to do.

I enjoyed her singing as well, but I was mostly struck by the melody, & how freely the minor modes were used. I know that Satriani came up with a name for that kind of approach- he probably thought he invented it, haha.

I've never heard much Purcell, but I really like how the melody goes through different minor modes. In more modern music, 99% of the time, they stuck/stick w/one mode- If it started in Aolian, it usually only used Aolian, if it started in Harmonic Minor, it usually only uses harmonic minor ( Yngvie? ). Purcell uses Aolian, phygian, & harmonic minor at will, depending on what he wanted the melody to do.

I enjoyed her singing as well, but I was mostly struck by the melody, & how freely the minor modes were used. I know that Satriani came up with a name for that kind of approach- he probably thought he invented it, haha.

Glad you liked. She’s done a few Purcell covers over the years:

I’ve been having a Waitsfest the last couple of days.

220px-TomWaitsSwordfishtrombones.jpg

It amazes me how I can spin one of his albums, and hear stuff that never hit me before in a dozen listens. Suddenly, this little ditty that I thought was just a bit of fun weirdness turns into a jaw-dropping piece of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back