What are you guys using for patch cables?

shoeless

Riffin'
I need to get some patch cables, but have a hard time justifying $15-$20 a piece for 6" of cable and two connectors. I'm not a fan of the molded ones (like the Planet Waves) because if they do break, you can't really fix them with a simple re-solder.

So what do you guys use? I'd be fine with just buying 90 degree connectors and making my own by cutting up an old 10' cable, but the connectors seem to cost as much as an assembled cable.

I was looking at these. For $3 per, they seem reasonable. Anybody ever use them?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-pedal-coupler-cable-angled
330244000001076-00-548x496.jpg

Yeah, I have a bunch of them...the tips don't stay tight in the plug and they eventually collapse the plastic ring that separates the tip and sleeve making it impossible to plug into the jack...switched them out for the planet waves and haven't looked back...

Looks like a solid product. I just use the molded ones that my wife bought an 8 pack of they work well for me. I also have a few from Cordial with Neutrik connectors that are nice. Cheap too.

Yeah, I have a bunch of them...the tips don't stay tight in the plug and they eventually collapse the plastic ring that separates the tip and sleeve making it impossible to plug into the jack...switched them out for the planet waves and haven't looked back...
One of the reviews that pointed that out as well (was it you?). The rest of the reviews seemed pretty positive. Seems pretty ridiculous that they'd make/sell plugs with a short shaft. :shrug:
Looks like a solid product. I just use the molded ones that my wife bought an 8 pack of they work well for me. I also have a few from Cordial with Neutrik connectors that are nice. Cheap too.
Link?

I almost posted this thread recently. I was wiring my pedalboard last night and he cable lengths and connectors were not fitting very ergonomically on this smaller board.

I almost posted this thread recently. I was wiring my pedalboard last night and he cable lengths and connectors were not fitting very ergonomically on this smaller board.
Yeah, unless you custom make the cables to your board they never fit perfect...of course if you change out a pedal then chances are the cable length needs to change as well...

Actually, I think you did, but I didn't see it until after I posted this.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/patch-cables.66605/

There were not a lot of replies, but a few others have taken the DIY approach. The custom length issue is another reason why I'd prefer soldered connectors instead of the molded ones.

I use mostly George L's although I have a mix of stuff. I really need to buy some decent cable and ends and make a new set of everything though.

I've been using these Hosa patch cables for quite some time. They don't eat up much real estate on the board, they don't seem to create problems, and I get them locally.

8983a409d88dee68ddb9ad232c47b5ff-02710b8f6d4d860ce1e91cda39c6fe92.jpg

I have no problem soldering my own. From what I found online though, loose connectors were about $2.50-$3.5 a piece, which means $5-$7 per cable. Pre-made cable were about $3-$5. I figured I'd buy the pre-made ones and customize/re-solder a couple if need be, although 6" will probably take care of my needs.

I've never heard of Iconic cables before, but they look like they're pretty well made from the photos. Just ordered a 6-pack of 6" cables for $19 shipped.

IMG_7614-1200.jpg

Here's a link to the guy's ebay store (King of Pedals) if anyone is interested.

http://stores.ebay.com/kingofpedals?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

So these showed up on Monday and I tried them out last night. They're built well and the connectors are acceptable, although not up to Switchcraft standards. The braided cables look nice, but add a level of stiffness that is not ideal for close-quarter patching between pedals. This is made a little worse by the 1" or so of shrink tubing that extends past the connector. I may trim a little of that off on a few of them, but overall they seem like they are well made and will get the job done.

Back