Well howdy, fellas...

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
Sorry I haven't been around much... between gettin' hitched and taking on the garde manger station at the restaurant, I haven't had a lot of forum time, but that's going to change.

Because I quit my job.

Anyone that has ever worked in a kitchen knows that it's hard and often thankless work, and the kitchen is usually staffed Motley Crue-esque addicts with knives and access to fire. You get what you put in, and I put in a lot and have become a much, MUCH better cook because of it. Last week my executive chef physically threatened me during service, threw a pan at me, and didn't say a word to me the rest of the night. That was the last time I went in; I contacted HR, said I wasn't coming back, and that was that.

Coincidentally, this week I finally received the teaching offer I've been waiting on for almost a year now, and they want me to start in six weeks. I've got a couple of weeks off and have a few other ideas floating around; there are a few restaurants around town that would let me pick up a shift here or there for extra cash, and there is a local bakery that needs help only two days a week that I'd be interested in working for, if the hours don't conflict with teaching hours. I'm going to do a lot of recording at home, hopefully a good chunk of mixing too. Maybe I'll even be good about getting back out to the garage gym again!

See you guys soon! :Wave:

Bummer the job didn't work out, but no sense in working with a dick like that. I am glad to hear you'll be around more.

I had a "pizza sword" thrown at me when I was 15 when I was working at a Round Table Pizza. People are assholes.

377055932_9bd128f12e_b.jpg

I had a "pizza sword" thrown at me when I was 15 when I was working at a Round Table Pizza. People are assholes.

377055932_9bd128f12e_b.jpg
Yup, that woulda gotten somebody fired real fuckin' fast.

I had a psycho boss that was WAY bigger than me (dude was 6'9" and about 350 lbs) throw a circular saw blade at my head. Missed by less than an inch.

I very calmly waited for him to leave the shop area and hightailed it to my car like I was on fire. He actually had the balls to call me that night and ask if I was coming in the next day.

Uh, no Jeff. No.

Reactions: CST
Yup, that woulda gotten somebody fired real fuckin' fast.

I had a psycho boss that was WAY bigger than me (dude was 6'9" and about 350 lbs) throw a circular saw blade at my head. Missed by less than an inch.

I very calmly waited for him to leave the shop area and hightailed it to my car like I was on fire. He actually had the balls to call me that night and ask if I was coming in the next day.

Uh, no Jeff. No.
I worked in a restraunt owned by an Indian family (their daughter was a classmate of mine) but their general manager was a Pakistani guy who was always miserable and angry. One day he lost his shit and threw that thing at me. I got a job at Lamppost Pizza a week later.

Reactions: OGG
For some reason Chefs seem to think they are above everyone, including the law. My wife has many stories of similar treatment in kitchens. No breaks, no access to first aid for cuts and burns (wrap it in saran wrap, get back to work and don't bleed on the food), verbal and physical abuse.

Sounds like things are going to work out for you Andy.

Reactions: Tig
Lawsuit? Just because that coward/bully Gordon Ramsay gets away with it on TV doesn't make it right or legal. Talk to a labor law attorney.

If someone threw something at me or threatened me on my job (and most any other), their ass would be shit-canned the same day. Unless I was at sea when it happened. That's when shit gets real fun. And we have access to knives, chains, rope, and lots of dead weight.

Mojo
At least you have other things going for you.
Good luck and fuck that Gordon Ramsay wannabe.

Yeah, that is a shitty situation. I had a couple of friends that worked in a kitchen when we were in our early-mid 20's....yeah. Fuck that work environment.

Yeah, I love cooking, but "kitchen life" is shit. That's why landing a part-time gig at the bakery would be nice, since I could keep learning and making great food, but with less macho bullshit. Plus kneading doughs is a great forearm workout. :wink:

I remember as a teenager working at a country club bussing tables at various events. Wanted that job because I wanted to be a chef as I got older.

One summer in that place and screw that. The chefs in the kitchen were so miserable that it completely turned me away from that idea.

Good luck with the time off and the new opportunity.

Back