Volkswagen gets busted.

"Mueller said only a few developers knew about the manipulated cars and that top management was unaware."

BS-Detector.jpg

I guy I work with has a Jetta TDI. He was at a VW dealer trying to trade it in. They won't take any used diesels, and can't sell new ones. He said while he was there, a woman came in wanting to trade in her diesel, and was very loudly displeased when they refused.

I think VW is going to lose a lot of loyal customers when they get stuck holding cars they can't trade in or sell privately for any reasonable money.

I guy I work with has a Jetta TDI. He was at a VW dealer trying to trade it in. They won't take any used diesels, and can't sell new ones. He said while he was there, a woman came in wanting to trade in her diesel, and was very loudly displeased when they refused.

I think VW is going to lose a lot of loyal customers when they get stuck holding cars they can't trade in or sell privately for any reasonable money.
Yeah. If they don't bend over backwards with unhappy customers right now they'll lose more than the current crop of customers. They'll lose sales for years to come

So how does this all work for states that have emissions tests? The owner can't get new tags for their car until it passes? If these new TDI's just can't pass, then what? The owners have no car to drive? Will the state allow them to drive it 'til the lawsuits settle?

And does this affect owners in states that don't do testing, like here in Michigan?

So how does this all work for states that have emissions tests?

That’s going to vary on a state-by-state basis. There must be precedent for this sort of thing coming from the world of safety inspections and recalls, so there are probably already laws in place. If not I’m sure new laws will be passed—and they’ll probably quietly exempt car dealers from any related litigation in state courts.

Yeah. If they don't bend over backwards with unhappy customers right now they'll lose more than the current crop of customers. They'll lose sales for years to come

Sounds to me that VW corporate better step up and make a program for those dealers to take those cars back in on trade if people want to, and corporate takes the hit on price differential.

My 2005 is not affected by all this, and I love the car. A nice driving car with great mileage, plenty of room, and comfortable.

Well, here we are 6 months into this mess and VW was not managed to come up with a fix that satisfies CARB and the EPA. WTF. Get your shit together VW. I have to replace a timing belt in another 15K miles and I'd like to know if you are going to crush my car before I drop a grand on the service visit.

Come on federal government, force someone to fucking do something.

Well, here we are 6 months into this mess and VW was not managed to come up with a fix that satisfies CARB and the EPA. WTF. Get your shit together VW. I have to replace a timing belt in another 15K miles and I'd like to know if you are going to crush my car before I drop a grand on the service visit.

Come on federal government, force someone to fucking do something.
Premier is across the street from Volkswagen of Orange and it is a sad and quiet place these days.

Premier is across the street from Volkswagen of Orange and it is a sad and quiet place these days.

Yeah, I'm bitching about a car that has long been paid off, I can't imagine what a dealer is going through sitting on inventory they own and can't sell. I bet a lot of dealers finance their inventory, making it hurt even more.

Yeah, I'm bitching about a car that has long been paid off, I can't imagine what a dealer is going through sitting on inventory they own and can't sell. I bet a lot of dealers finance their inventory, making it hurt even more.
All of them finance their inventory on what is called a "flooring account". The longer a car sits on the lot the more it loses money before its even sold. Dealing with these accounts is pat of my wifes job. The last I heard there is a class action suit in the works from the dealers against VW. You might not see them in the US in 5-10 years.

It is a bummer, because I really like the cars. I like the design, feel and seating of most of them. The new microbus that is coming out is really cool from a design point of view.

http://www.surfcars.net/2015/08/volkswagen-microbus-2016-price-and_35.html

Mrs. SVL's old Rabbit Convertible was a GREAT snow car with studded tires. My FWD Passat is also very good with studless snows.

A lot of the gas models are nice and have nothing to do with the turbo diesel flub. Also, I really like my 2005 Passat TDI wagon. It was not involved the in hubbub as it is too old. The newer TDIs drive very nicely too, and do get pretty darned good mileage. It was claiming that little bit extra of mileage that nailed them. So, bummer for fans of VW. And bummer for turbodiesels in the US. It is already harder over here as compared to Europe for TD's.

Oh, and @OGG , I also liked the Scirocco.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGG
It is a bummer, because I really like the cars. I like the design, feel and seating of most of them. The new microbus that is coming out is really cool from a design point of view.

http://www.surfcars.net/2015/08/volkswagen-microbus-2016-price-and_35.html

Mrs. SVL's old Rabbit Convertible was a GREAT snow car with studded tires. My FWD Passat is also very good with studless snows.

A lot of the gas models are nice and have nothing to do with the turbo diesel flub. Also, I really like my 2005 Passat TDI wagon. It was not involved the in hubbub as it is too old. The newer TDIs drive very nicely too, and do get pretty darned good mileage. It was claiming that little bit extra of mileage that nailed them. So, bummer for fans of VW. And bummer for turbodiesels in the US. It is already harder over here as compared to Europe for TD's.

Oh, and @OGG , I also liked the Scirocco.
If Mrs. SVL had a triple white VW Cabrio (Rabbit Convertible), then you sir, are a certified STUD. I know for a fact that all such cars were driven by smokin' hotties. :thu:

If Mrs. SVL had a triple white VW Cabrio (Rabbit Convertible), then you sir, are a certified STUD. I know for a fact that all such cars were driven by smokin' hotties. :thu:
HaHaHa!! Well, she is a smokin' hottie. But hers was pre-cabrio, (was labeled Rabbit), and was black over black. That grey/black check herringbone type fabric interior. When we had it in Tacoma, before Idaho, we left it unlocked, and had one of the stereos you pulled out of the dash, so the roof would not get cut (again). :wink:

When we moved to Idaho with a 6 month old, she got my 4Runner (5 speed, 1990), and I got the manual tranny Rabbit to drive in the snow. The thing was a champ.

Reactions: OGG
My old winter beater in college was a 1981 rabbit with snow tires. That car was great for New Hampshire winters. I bought it for like 4oo bucks, drove it for 4 winters, then sold it for 400 bucks. It was slow as shit, and loaded with mysterious electrical problems, but it ran and drove well

HaHaHa!! Well, she is a smokin' hottie. But hers was pre-cabrio, (was labeled Rabbit), and was black over black. That grey/black check herringbone type fabric interior. When we had it in Tacoma, before Idaho, we left it unlocked, and had one of the stereos you pulled out of the dash, so the roof would not get cut (again). :wink:

When we moved to Idaho with a 6 month old, she got my 4Runner (5 speed, 1990), and I got the manual tranny Rabbit to drive in the snow. The thing was a champ.
Nice.

My 1st Scirrocco had that interior. I loved that car. I need to find a picture of it.

Orange/Red with Gold Enkei 15" Mesh wheels (195/50R15 Dunlop tires), Fog lights, Ski Rack... it was the business.

Back