Volkswagen gets busted.

Yeah, I'm bitching about a car that has long been paid off, I can't imagine what a dealer is going through sitting on inventory they own and can't sell. I bet a lot of dealers finance their inventory, making it hurt even more.

Didn't your $200 visa gift card satisfy you? :)

All of them finance their inventory on what is called a "flooring account". The longer a car sits on the lot the more it loses money before its even sold. Dealing with these accounts is pat of my wifes job. The last I heard there is a class action suit in the works from the dealers against VW. You might not see them in the US in 5-10 years.

Not only has this put a hurting on VW but it's still got the potential to get more painful.

...plus, what hurts VW could impact some of the other brands & their prospective strategy
Audi, Porsche, Ducati, Bugatti, Lambo, Seat, etc.

Didn't your $200 visa gift card satisfy you? :)

Not only has this put a hurting on VW but it's still got the potential to get more painful.

...plus, what hurts VW could impact some of the other brands & their prospective strategy
Audi, Porsche, Ducati, Bugatti, Lambo, Seat, etc.

I see a couple/few of those TDIs around town. And my 2005 Passat was based on the Audi platform. Another reason I hope they get it together on this thing. My first impractical love in terms of relatively small sport sedans and wagons, Alfa, is not over here. And the sportwagons are built a little low for my practical use anyway. VW and related are pretty much the closest thing. And also a bit more practical for my needs. Volvo is not awesome on fuel economy (at least the models I typically see which are the AWD wagons). Saab seems to be irrelevant at this point (being reborn mebbe?), although I did love the old 900 turbos. I want VW to fix this.

PS, Subarus are pretty cool, as well as some other Asian offerings, though the sportwagon offerings have slimmed. I like the Mazda 3, but it is a bit small as compared to my Passat. There are good sedans upon which they could build a wagon. But not many do. And the other problem is seating. In general, the Asian seating tends to activate sciatica for me. So, again, VW please fix this.

It was $500. lol. I just don't want to put a grand in for a new serpentine belt replacement if the EPA is going to crush the car in a few months. I'd love to know so I can plan.
That would seem to be a stupid thing to do ecologically (crushing). That they do not meet the exact standard does not mean it would be better to crush the cars, requiring the production of new units by someone. A lot of energy consumed and waste produced in that process. Just figure out what VW is going to have to pay to consumers and/or what other options they need to offer the purchasers (such as buy back plus a penalty), an additional penalty for the violation, and how better to enforce the standards in the future, and have it over with. But it would seem VW would be well served by getting on top of that. Their lawyers might be negotiating trying to figure out if they can get some sort of assurances from the powers that be if they take certain actions.

That would seem to be a stupid thing to do ecologically (crushing). That they do not meet the exact standard does not mean it would be better to crush the cars, requiring the production of new units by someone. A lot of energy consumed and waste produced in that process. Just figure out what VW is going to have to pay to consumers and/or what other options they need to offer the purchasers (such as buy back plus a penalty), an additional penalty for the violation, and how better to enforce the standards in the future, and have it over with. But it would seem VW would be well served by getting on top of that. Their lawyers might be negotiating trying to figure out if they can get some sort of assurances from the powers that be if they take certain actions.
What about the individual states and their emissions standards?

Do you actually think a consensus could be reached between them to allow these cars "special" treatment?

Not a chance.

Government doesn't work that way.

California would never, ever loosen the regs to allow these cars to "pass". Never. And while I don't know the actual percentage, it's safe to say that a large portion of affected vehicles are in California.

The onus is on VW to make the cars right. They knew what the standards were before they built them. It is entirely their problem to fix.

What about the individual states and their emissions standards?

Do you actually think a consensus could be reached between them to allow these cars "special" treatment?

Not a chance.

Government doesn't work that way.

California would never, ever loosen the regs to allow these cars to "pass". Never. And while I don't know the actual percentage, it's safe to say that a large portion of affected vehicles are in California.

The onus is on VW to make the cars right. They knew what the standards were before they built them. It is entirely their problem to fix.
I agree that there are a lot of political factors like that at play. I still think Elon Musk is right on it. And I agree with you that VW better hurry up and do something to fix it. And I am still really bummed they did it in the first place and created this mess. To me, turbo diesels are a good transitional strategy as we work to reduce auto emissions. It was really dumb to claim numbers that did not exist and then fake them.

i know that we'll never know, but i'm interested in WHO's idea the spoofing progam was and what in the f@ck they were thinking.
did they REALLY think they'd get away with this......forever?? i mean there ARE emission test stations that DO test the actual exhaust gases coming out of the tailpipe. when the computer's readings in the car do not match those at the tailpipe, alarms are going to go off all over the place.
are the engineers at VW THAT arrogant that they thought this would go unnoticed.....forever?

did they REALLY think they'd get away with this......forever??

They thought they’d get away with it long enough to collect some nice bonuses. Just like Enron, Computer Associates, etc.. It’s a symptom of our crazy stock markets where millions of people buy stocks to flip rather than hold on to and collect dividends, which encourages executives to be more concerned with short-term profits than the long term health of the business.

Well, to save 355 bucks a car in production costs, it seems they have incurred a minimum of 15,000 grand in buyback and penalties per car. That isn't counting the EPA and FTC fines, dealer lawsuits, etc. This is going to cut VW down to the bone....as it should.

Well, to save 355 bucks a car in production costs, it seems they have incurred a minimum of 15,000 grand in buyback and penalties per car. That isn't counting the EPA and FTC fines, dealer lawsuits, etc. This is going to cut VW down to the bone....as it should.
i've read today that the estimate is something like 18 BILLION when it's all said and done. they're estimating a billion and a half just for the USA buy back. :facepalm:
what is going to be interesting to see is if anyone gets prosecuted....and how far down the ladder they are from those who REALLY made the decision to write spoof software into the computers.

They thought they’d get away with it long enough to collect some nice bonuses. Just like Enron, Computer Associates, etc.. It’s a symptom of our crazy stock markets where millions of people buy stocks to flip rather than hold on to and collect dividends, which encourages executives to be more concerned with short-term profits than the long term health of the business.
ain't that the f'ng truth. the whole US economy is floundering because of the short sightedness/greed.

Back