Traynor YBA-1....thoughts?

surfsteve

Pendejo
So, I've been looking to get a bass head that can double as a guitar head. I think I've found one close to me. There is nothing I can think of with this that is a deal killer, hand-wired, ~ 90 watts. The Canuck Plexi-killer.

Other contenders are Ampeg B-15 and V-4B.

Talk me out of it or recommend something similar. Maybe old Bassman?

There was a time when I used a Mesa Mark I for both bass and guitar. It was also 90 watts and I jammed with people back then in bass and it was loud enough and sounded pretty good. I've never played a Traynor but have always heard good things about them.

There's a nicer one about 2 hrs from me. The Douglaston one is 100 bucks cheaper though. Another popped up in Asbury Park that looks dead minty for 600.

The B-15s I run across all look beat to hell or too nice and too spendy.

So, now the question is Traynor or Ampeg V-4B? Traynor still comes up cheaper with no downside. Is an old V-4B handwired? Can't find info to support or refute so far.

So, I've been looking to get a bass head that can double as a guitar head. I think I've found one close to me. There is nothing I can think of with this that is a deal killer, hand-wired, ~ 90 watts. The Canuck Plexi-killer.

Other contenders are Ampeg B-15 and V-4B.

Talk me out of it or recommend something similar. Maybe old Bassman?
Talk you out of it? Ok...you don't want that piece of junk!!
On a completely separate and unrelated topic....could you forward me the number of the guy selling that amp?
Thanks in advance...

Talk you out of it? Ok...you don't want that piece of junk!!
On a completely separate and unrelated topic....could you forward me the number of the guy selling that amp?
Thanks in advance...

They are all on Reverb. Just type in Traynor YBA-1.

The B-15s I run across all look beat to hell or too nice and too spendy.

So, now the question is Traynor or Ampeg V-4B? Traynor still comes up cheaper with no downside. Is an old V-4B handwired? Can't find info to support or refute so far.

V series ampegs are PCB, but they're old school heavy duty PCBs with thick copper traces- not the thin-ass pieces of shit you see in modern amps.

The regular Ampeg V4 (no "B") was a guitar amp, with reverb and a guitar-oriented EQ range. You could pretty easily play bass through one. The VT22 and VT40 are combo derivatives of the V4. I have a VT22, and it's loud as god's balls.

Never played a Traynor YBA, but I have a YGM3 that is tits.

I had a YBA-1 that I used as a guitar amp. Sounded great but didn't really have a reason to keep it with a vintage Marshall Super Lead and Hiwatt DR103. I've seen a couple of bands try to use them live for bass, but they don't really have enough power for live bass in a large club setting.

Sounds like an excuse to buy an Orange Thunderverb. Matt Pike has been getting a nice tone lately with four of the 200-watt models.

I played a thunderverb several months ago when I was selling my JVM....a local guy had one and we got together and played a bit. He wasn't selling it but damn....it sounded fantastic. Very good amp.

Back