Sound deadening advice

reverend1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Thread inspired by Tony.

I’m in the middle of redoing my guitar room. I really wouldn’t call it a studio. More of a practice room. The room is super live. It’s 12x14 with all hard surfaces.

Any recording I do is direct into the computer so I really looking more to deaden the sound. Both the volume and the echo.

I’ve been thinking of installing carpet. Maybe some baffles.

What do you guys think?

Ignore the mess. We are in the middle of repainting the house.

c1d330c4c089d206c35c742eecfd77ac.jpg
38176eff09105e274774dddfc30c45e9.jpg
672391824531000cff8d153a5dc9abf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but an area rug (ex: Karastan) and some drapes for the window would probably do the trick (while keeping the room looking nice and usable for other purposes, if needed).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Carpet, yes.

You can further decouple the amps from the floor by putting them on stands. I have my amps on Auralex GRAMMAs. Which for apartment living have been totally worth it.

Carpet and selective curtain hanging will go a long, long way. If you add too much material, you'll deaden the room uncomfortably, so start with the floor and see how it changes the room. GRAMMAs and other foam based risers will help considerably, as would an amp stand. If you can build some inexpensive bass traps for your corners you'll have a big improvement.

Carpet and selective curtain hanging will go a long, long way. If you add too much material, you'll deaden the room uncomfortably, so start with the floor and see how it changes the room. GRAMMAs and other foam based risers will help considerably, as would an amp stand. If you can build some inexpensive bass traps for your corners you'll have a big improvement.

Define "uncomfortably".

Really similar to my guitar room. About the same size and the floors look similar. Only one Reverend though! I was thinking about getting a big area rug for both looks and to settle things down in there. Hadn't thought about curtains but I'd have to get that past the design supervisor. I can't keep up with what's in and out any more. And not that it will help but I'm starting to collect music related stuff to hang on the walls. I just got a cool vintage looking concert poster and I'm looking for unique stuff.

I have no idea what I should do but I'm thinking to start with an area rug.

Yeah. My son's room has carpet, it's a treat to play in the kitchen with hardwood.
I know what your saying. This room is really bad though. It echos when you talk. It’s also really really loud.

I want it to be nice to play in but I also want to quite it down to keep from disturbing everyone in the House.

I know what your saying. This room is really bad though. It echos when you talk. It’s also really really loud.

I want it to be nice to play in but I also want to quite it down to keep from disturbing everyone in the House.

That sounds pretty bad. Just want to emphasize what has already been said, amp stand. Anything, a dresser, just get them off the floor then, reassess how much more you need to do to the room.

Have you been down to the studio at the new house? It's a very live room, but a couple of rugs and pillows made a huge difference. I've recorded in there with some gobos and moving blankets and it makes for a really great sound.

Moving blankets are your best friend. Clamp them to some stands or to a curtain rod and take them off and on as needed. That will give you a lot of flexibility and it can be put away when it has to look visually pleasing.

Have you been down to the studio at the new house? It's a very live room, but a couple of rugs and pillows made a huge difference. I've recorded in there with some gobos and moving blankets and it makes for a really great sound.

Moving blankets are your best friend. Clamp them to some stands or to a curtain rod and take them off and on as needed. That will give you a lot of flexibility and it can be put away when it has to look visually pleasing.
I was in the basement guitar room. I think it was still under construction.

Specifically, if you are willing to add a visual element, you can put some discreet hooks in the high corners. Home Depot will have some, although I thought this was a winner:

white-hand-peace-sign-decorative-wall-hooks-600x600.jpg

And have what we used to call "tapestries" around ... which you can then hang to deaden the sound. Using differently weighted fabrics can (not will, but can) yield different results. It's quick and functional ... and goes well with lava lamps and visiting with your guru.

Back