Sonic Highways series, how many are watching it?

I don't have access to HBO. So curious as to what you guys are thinking. I have the album and am digging it. Hopefully a legal online way of watching will show up.

I caught the Chicago episode. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed it, but if you're digging the album I bet it would be even better.

I've watched it & overall it has been good. Seeing the interviews and hearing his comments about a city definitely gives you more insight & appreciation of the songs on the album (which is actually a slight criticism of the album at the same time; IMO the songs are undeniably Foo Fighters style songs and do not have enough of the DNA of the cities that inspired them to be distinguishable on their out with out the visual companion series).

There have been lots of times I think 'why didn't he talk to.....' about a city but I suppose that's the limitation of interviewing only a few people from each location. I'm not a little cold on the way they present the song at the end of each episode like a completely staged music video performance.

I've seen some criticism in the press implying it's just a multi-episode press kit but from my POV, it really does feel like an extension or next step from the Wasting Light & Soundcity docs. Dave offers a pretty comprehensive roadmap of his relationship with music from childhood through today; many of the cities used are waypoints in his career & the interviews center around people he is a fan of and influenced by.

Last edited:
Apparently its been on in the Uk on BBC 4 bit i have neither seen it or seen any trailer for it.

Ill wait until it ends up on Netflix.

Only the first two episodes where broadcast on BBC4, the whole series on the Iplayer.

I've been enjoying it. Just watched the New Orleans episode and loved the jamming with the jazz band. Would have liked that to have made it onto the album. I'd like to see more about the recording in general. They mostly ignore the writing and recording process. I guess that is only interesting to music nerds like us but who else is the show for :shrug: Without that detail it does at times come across as a giant promo. Overall good though.

It has been wonderful... The Seattle Episode last week was the best yet

Seeing that Seattle was coming was what got me interested again to see if it had come out elsewhere. @Lerxst and @pmc100 and the other comments don't surprise me. Just from the vids I have seen, I was kind of wishing the local artist was featured a whole lot more. But I like the songs so far anyway for Foo Fighter songs. So, I bet I will enjoy it. Yes, DVD's would be good, and since HBO series comesout on Netflix often, I am hoping for that too. currently, all I could find for supposed online watching was "joining" some site that looks sketchy or has somehow recorded the broadcast of something that has not been generally released.

I want to see it too, but I don't have HBO either. Or even local TV. Just a Roku and a Blueray player.

I do like the CD a lot, but it is not their best. I think a couple of the songs are outside (no pun intended) the box for them, particularly 'Subterranean'.

I really enjoyed the LA one, where they recorded at Rancho De Luna. That place is just up the road from my parent's place.

so my tv contract was up and they gave me an offer to keep my current programing at a $20 a month increase or add all the movie channels and only up my bill $10. So I now have HBO and started watching Sonic Highways on demand. What a great show. It was really cool to see the DC episode. If I were a few years older, I would have been smack in the middle of that scene, but I was in elementary/middle school while that was going on. But much like Dave, my teen soundtrack included a heavy dose of Dischord.

I just watched the Nashville one last night and how and the hell have I never heard of Tony Joe White? I have been on Spotify all morning listening to him.

so my tv contract was up and they gave me an offer to keep my current programing at a $20 a month increase or add all the movie channels and only up my bill $10. So I now have HBO and started watching Sonic Highways on demand. What a great show. It was really cool to see the DC episode. If I were a few years older, I would have been smack in the middle of that scene, but I was in elementary/middle school while that was going on. But much like Dave, my teen soundtrack included a heavy dose of Dischord.

I just watched the Nashville one last night and how and the hell have I never heard of Tony Joe White? I have been on Spotify all morning listening to him.
I haz jealous. I still do not have access.

Back