So, you know how my Pro Tools mixes were kind of weak sounding?

It would be my pleasure. This is an absolutely beautiful guitar, both in appearance and sound, and is one of the best gifts I've ever received. I've been using it to record a bunch of tracks. Here's a link to a bunch of photos and more info about the guitar on my website:
http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/miscellaneous/redwoodcustomguitar/

10redwoodguitar.jpg

I dig the pictures!

Welcome, Ken.

I think my Pro Tools problems were all just me being used to working on Cubase SX and suddenly changing everything about the way I record. I'm slowly but surely getting 'my sound' back.

Nice guitar. :cool:

Thanks (and thanks Mark!). It's a beautiful guitar, and I'm glad you like the photos.

That's good to hear. Sometimes it's good to mute your plugins of a particular track and listen to the original sound. Sometimes, if you're like me, you can lose the forest for the trees if you are working on something in particular, and just lose sight of the whole mix or vibe.

Ken
www.blueberrybuddha.com - studio
www.kenleephotography.com - photography

I really need to get to work on treatment. El Borrachito (another forumite here) heped me with a room design plan but I just haven't been able to get it all done. I've got long term plans to re-do hardwood floors throughout the house, clouds over the mixing position, drumset, etc, but I keep buying gear instead. :facepalm:

Sound treatment IS gear!! Buy, buy, buy...keep this economy moving!!!

Ken

Sound treatment IS gear!! Buy, buy, buy...keep this economy moving!!!

Ken

I really want to DIY to keep the costs down, but my lack of handiness and lack of tools makes it difficult. I have a friend who has all that stuff and want to build them too, but so far th's never actually happened. Sourcing the OC703/Rockwool has been hard too. I'll probably break down and buy pre-built ones at some point, but that's going to hurt. :(

I encourage Ken to stimulate the economy via studio gear purchases... Now, the big question is, what direction will I take my next album project when I next record at Blueberry Studios?

I really want to DIY to keep the costs down, but my lack of handiness and lack of tools makes it difficult. I have a friend who has all that stuff and want to build them too, but so far th's never actually happened. Sourcing the OC703/Rockwool has been hard too. I'll probably break down and buy pre-built ones at some point, but that's going to hurt. :(

There are these pre-made bags that can fit over the 703 and then can, I believe, hang from the wall. I cannot remember the name of this. At least one of the manufacturers of these bags seems to get in giant pissing matches with Ethan Winer, who makes RealTraps.

There's also a Primacoustics room kit that seems fairly cheap, although I don't know how good it is...but Primacoustics makes the amazing Recoil Stabilizer pad, which absolutely fookin' rules, so their room kit might be good as well.

Another thing you can do is, rather than treat the room, you could consider getting one of those sE Vocal Booths or whatever they're called. They're not cheap, but you can take a lot of the unwanted reflections out of the room by using this with a microphone. You can get the project model for about $200, and the nicer version for about $300.

Ken

Last edited:
I just remembered the name: sE Electronics Reflexion Filter. I own the $200 one. It alters the sound of the microphone, whether it's in cardioid or omni, but so far, not in a bad way, and if depending on your mic placement relative to the filter, it can be subtle. And what I mean by that is the frequency response, not the obvious alteration of the ambience of the room.

Ken

I encourage Ken to stimulate the economy via studio gear purchases... Now, the big question is, what direction will I take my next album project when I next record at Blueberry Studios?

I'm trying to cut down on those sorts of things. They're usually computer-related purchases now since I have all the hardware (mics, compressors, preamps) I really need.

As for your music, I hope it's tight and groovin' whatever it is, whether it's metal, hard rock, bluegrass, folk, or some genre not yet invented.

Ken

As for your music, I hope it's tight and groovin' whatever it is, whether it's metal, hard rock, bluegrass, folk, or some genre not yet invented.

It HAS to be tight AND groovin', or it will not exist... I think I've come to a conclusion that it will be prog-hillbilly-metal, with the lyrical content based on things that don't matter...

If it's any sort of prog or anything with interesting/alternating time signatures, it almost has to be practiced and played really tightly. I mean, it's possible to try and edit something into something tight and resembling prog, I suppose, but it would likely come out sounding really odd or sterile or downright shitty, and would take inordinate amounts of time clicking a mouse around. :grin:

Ken

There are these pre-made bags that can fit over the 703 and then can, I believe, hang from the wall. I cannot remember the name of this. At least one of the manufacturers of these bags seems to get in giant pissing matches with Ethan Winer, who makes RealTraps.

There's also a Primacoustics room kit that seems fairly cheap, although I don't know how good it is...but Primacoustics makes the amazing Recoil Stabilizer pad, which absolutely fookin' rules, so their room kit might be good as well.

Another thing you can do is, rather than treat the room, you could consider getting one of those sE Vocal Booths or whatever they're called. They're not cheap, but you can take a lot of the unwanted reflections out of the room by using this with a microphone. You can get the project model for about $200, and the nicer version for about $300.

Ken

I've got some of the Auralex mic "isolation" things and they work okay. I'm more concerned with treatment for mixing than tracking, other than clouds over the piano and drumset at some point.

See if people regard the Primacoustic room kit thingy highly. I think that's supposed to treat an entire room for mixing and only cost a few hundred bucks and is easy to hang on the wall, IIRC.

Ken

I'm sure it'll help with flutter echo and such but it's the bass frequencies I'm worried about. I sent a design to two different companies (one being run by ex-Auralex guys) and for professional products it was in the $1700 range. I know I can do it a lot cheaper than that. I'll peep the Primacoustic stuff. :)

You may be able to get away with a kit and then get a couple of cheap bass tracks with 703. Or maybe just hang a bunch of 703 in containers or some sort of rigid bags and call it good. 703 is closer to broadband absorption than anything in the Primacoustic, I'm sure.

Ken

You may be able to get away with a kit and then get a couple of cheap bass tracks with 703. Or maybe just hang a bunch of 703 in containers or some sort of rigid bags and call it good. 703 is closer to broadband absorption than anything in the Primacoustic, I'm sure.

Ken

I've been walking around lately trying to pinpoint the sots in my room where the bass fluctuates the most. It's actually pretty damn good in my listening position, even though the set-up isn't optimal. A few feet back and it's boomy, a few feet to the right it's thin.

Back