So what wildly popular things don't float your boat?

Pretty much any wildly popular thing. Please do not let me hear you say "cray, cray" and keep Flo the insurance loudmouth far away from me. Of course, I have OCD so lots of things are very discomforting to me.

How about "Po Po?"

"Must see TV" - Does everyone rave about it and say I must see it? My interest level drops to zero.

"Must hear bands" - See above.

I guess it is the rebel streak in me.

Travel. Pay lots of money to fly half way around the world. Get molested in airports. Sit for hours jockeying over an armrest with some wide body guy on one side and a soccer mom telling me about her kids on the other. Consume the free Diet Coke and bag of peanuts. Sleep in a strange bed. See the sights that are so amazing that the people who live there don't even think about them. Tip everyone who is being payed to be nice to me even though they don't really want to. Then reverse the process and arrive home with a major case of jet lag. I don't get it and I'm never going to do it again.

Last edited:
TV drama - i have not seen - and probably never will - Breaking Bad, Boardwalk whatever, Sopranos, Madmen, Game of Thrones, etc, etc, ...

I'm not sure I have a good idea of what is wildly popular.

I can tell you that the thing that I think is popular and hate is the new focus on social media in all things. I was really freaked out the first time I turned on the news and saw the newscasters reading random tweets from people talking about an event. It seems to be everywhere these days, entertainment TV, news, sports, etc. I don't really care what the average person with a twitter account thinks about an issue. Does it add anything to a story to read that some random dude thinks the president sucks and another person blames the GOP for some issue (and I mean this in a non-partisan way, various twitter knuckleheads will blame the other side of the aisle for everything from the weather to random UFO objections, so let's keep political opinions out of the discussion)? It is like giving the morons on Facebook a legit outlet for their biased, misguided opinions. Fuck that shit.

Last edited:
^^ I agree but I think it's happening because when we hear from our Representatives what they have to say doesn't sound a whole lot different from what's being said by the Twitter people. So, being faced with morons on all fronts, why not have a listen to all of them. Or, better yet, none of them.

Last edited:
I especially noticed the twitter madness during the 24/7 ebola virus coverage. The newscast couldn't get Antony Fauci from NIAID/NIH or the director of the CDC to scream armageddon (and rightly so), so they decided to read alarmist drivel from the general public about their ebola fears. I guess when you can't get the experts to help you bend a story towards sensationalism, it is time to turn on the twitter tap. Whatever fans the fire and sells Dyson vacuum advert time is news.

I seriously suspect the social media thing is being embraced so much as news corporations figured out they were broadcasting placed advertising for the benefit of other corporations they already owned and people were getting wise, and the real people were on the web getting their news. Putting interaction from the public back in makes it 'seem' more legit. When my 96 year old grandmother tells me that the morning shows suck as the networks only have guests selling products (books, movies, tv) that they produce, and none of it is objective, I suspect someone else probably noticed too, as great grandma thinks it is 1972.

Last edited:
^^ I look to the Daily Show for my news. Lots of fun but it's sad to think that, at least in this Country, after having grown up watching Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite that the news equivalent of Monty Python is the most informative and accurate news casting available.

Last edited:
Social media like twitter is a validation medium.

ww32-affirmations-smalley-flash.jpg

Back