So this month's no make up / bring home our girls / pointless LOOK AT ME thing is

Awareness is absolutely a factor.

So many patients get lost between the cracks.

ALS isn't something that I'm well-informed about, but I can speak plenty about cancer, particularly w/r/t young adult cancer. For every child diagnosed with cancer, there are 7 adults between the ages of 18-39. Per patient, $1 or so go to the young adults, as opposed to children or breast cancer patients, it's closer to $10. While survival rates for children, the middle-aged, and the elderly, have improved significantly since the 70s, there's been barely any change in the stat line for young adults.

Were you aware of that?

Reactions: Tig

ALS isn't something that I'm well-informed about, but I can speak plenty about cancer, particularly w/r/t young adult cancer. For every child diagnosed with cancer, there are 7 adults between the ages of 18-39. Per patient, $1 or so go to the young adults, as opposed to children or breast cancer patients, it's closer to $10. While survival rates for children, the middle-aged, and the elderly, have improved significantly since the 70s, there's been barely any change in the stat line for young adults.

Were you aware of that?

Nope and someone chucking water over their head hasn't clued me up on it either....

Were you aware of that?

Another good point. I have friends who are survivors and have talked to them about their frustrations along these lines.

I'm all for it. It is raising money (and a a ton of it) for a good cause. The only problem I have with it, is there aren't enough hot chicks in white t-shirts being challenged.
I hereby challenge all hot chicks in white t-shirts to take the Ice Bucket Challenge!
How's that?

Honestly, I had heard about the "Ice Bucket Challenge" but I had no idea what it was about. And from looking at the videos online, the only awareness it raised in me is the continuing realization that most people are idiots and that vertical videos are annoying.

But I get that's how charity campaigns these days work. Get people to do something fun or challenging and hopefully raise a little money for charity. And it's always ben that way. It's why millionaires and billionaires go to expensive black tie galas that net $50,000 when they could just stay home, open their checkbooks and raise ten times that amount. It's why kids bring jars of change down to the studio for the Jerry Lewis telethon in the hopes of being on TV.

But I do get tired of people trying to justify their self-promotion and attention whoring under the guise of charity. There was a local woman here who was recently featured on the national news because she had a huge, huge closet filled with millions of dollars of jewelry and expensive purses. And with the kind of insensitive gall reserved for the biggest attention whores, she claimed this ridiculous display of wealth was for charity because she was going to hold fundraisers in that closet. Unfortunately for her, the national exposure resulted in a thief cleaning out her closet while she and her husband were off at the country club. When asked for a comment, she said she wasn't as upset about the loss of her treasure hoard but for the impact it would have on her fundraising. Yeah, right. (And the story gets weirder from there, because the supposed thief claims that most of the items were fake and told the local papers about it a few days ago...)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthew...e-ice-bucket-challenge-is-stupid-youre-wrong/

sure...there a lot of people I know that I suspect are doing it because it's gone viral and don't really give a shit about ALS, or charity in general, but it's hard to deny the good that it has done.

Bullet points from the link (sure, it's really only two points since 3 is essentially expanding on #1)
#1: It raises money for ALS
#2: It encourages people to donate to charity in general
#3: The Ice Bucket Challenge Is Raising Enough Money To Matter

Pointless it isn't when the goals are pretty clear and the method of obtaining them is working. I think the brilliance of it lies in exploiting the attention deficit wealth in abundance. I also think everything is a facade until it isn't.

Given the success of this campaign, I suspect we sill see many similar "challenges" in the near future. So get used to it until it plays out.

Given the success of this campaign, I suspect we sill see many similar "challenges" in the near future. So get used to it until it plays out.

Most likely so, similar to the many wrist bands after the yellow LiveStrong bands were popular.

Hopefully not #TakeTheStapleYourBalls2aBoardChallenge4UNICEF
or #TakeTheSelfieSelf-CrucifixionChallenge4RedCross.

Last edited:
While I feel the whole ice bucket challenge thing is stupid, it is providing good results. Sadly, people need things like this to spur their generosity. Back in the 70's or 80's, the only way to have someone give money to a good cause was for someone else to take a five mile walk. One of those quirks of human nature, I guess.
Doesn't sound very stupid then. :wink:

I have a couple of friends who post literally dozens of things on facebook every day related to what they're doing, where they are, what food is on their plates, etc. I find it hard to understand the genesis of this sort of exhibitionism...
I'm the opposite. I share/retweet either stupid shit (silly pictures, etc.) or really awesome shit. It's rare that I actually post things about myself these days outside of The Olde HCEG Gang group because... Honestly, I'm kinda boring these days. LOL

I did, however, actually post a video of myself doing the challenge and donated $10. Sure, it's silly, but the sensationalism has gotten attention.

To answer jbj's point... People are selfish these days. They'll wait in line for two days to get an iFruit but ask them for a $1 at the register for a donation and they're like "OMG! NO! I CAN'T AFFORD IT!" I'm poor. I have bills I still haven't paid this month. I donated. LOL

I even called out @Mark Wein. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/gilmourd/posts/10100542276984708

I'm the opposite. I share/retweet either stupid shit (silly pictures, etc.) or really awesome shit. It's rare that I actually post things about myself these days outside of The Olde HCEG Gang group because... Honestly, I'm kinda boring these days. LOL

I did, however, actually post a video of myself doing the challenge and donated $10. Sure, it's silly, but the sensationalism has gotten attention.

To answer jbj's point... People are selfish these days. They'll wait in line for two days to get an iFruit but ask them for a $1 at the register for a donation and they're like "OMG! NO! I CAN'T AFFORD IT!" I'm poor. I have bills I still haven't paid this month. I donated. LOL

I even called out @Mark Wein. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/gilmourd/posts/10100542276984708

Ist the first day of school today so I won't be able to do it but maybe on the weekend I'll have the kids throw ice water at me. I'm sure they'll love it :embarrassed:

Back