Single Pickup Guitars.....

Single Pickup Guitar

• Total voters
stratrepair15.jpg

I have two single pickup guitars -- the first is a Godin Acousticaster (although, since it has an acoustic piezo bridge, I don't know if it strictly qualifies) that has a mini-HB in the neck and the second is a Melody Maker that has a hot HB in the bridge position. Between these two, I have to say I find the latter to be much more useful across a wide variety of styles. On the Godin, I find I use the magnetic pickup more blended with the acoustic for different 'flavors' than I do by itself.

if7st8calee0xyujint5.jpg

Question of the day, it seems. Where'd that body come from? :tongue:

I believe he said it was custom made. It's contours are more angular than a fender and the cavity is not a warmoth. Could be mighty mite or USACG.

Finished the wiring tonight and played it through my Orange for a while. Mmmmm........ :baimun:

A single pickup guitar (old school jazz box excluded) needs to be a raunchy little punk in my opinion. Could be humbuckerish, like a melody maker, but for me, I voted p90 for the snarl and bite. Something like this (into which I would put a nicer pickup).

fa2.jpg

A P90 for me (I have a Les Paul Jr. on layaway, and I can't wait to get it home) in either the bridge, middle (ala the ES-225) or neck position, with a Broadcaster-style single coil also making my list for the bridge postion. Regarding single humbucker guitars - I prefer them to ahve the pickup in the neck position.

WOULD!

What pickup is that?

A Seymour Duncan JB that I put a cover on. It tames the really shrill highs while keeping the voice really open on the pickup. Plus, in a direct-mount configuration like this, the sides of the coils aren't exposed.

A Seymour Duncan JB that I put a cover on. It tames the really shrill highs while keeping the voice really open on the pickup. Plus, in a direct-mount configuration like this, the sides of the coils aren't exposed.
A lot of people over at Seymour Duncan are putting 250K volumes, AlNiCo II magnets in the JB, or both and finding it very sweet.

IMO the 250K drops the volume too fast. I like how when you dial the 500K from 10 to 8, 7, or so it just cleans up.... and doesn't really drop the volume too much until after 5.

I'm a neck pup guy all the way, even my guitars with dual pups, the neck pup gets most of the action. And that includes lead and shredding...
Love it where the tone lives...

Back