Single Pickup Guitars.....

Single Pickup Guitar

• Total voters
Thanks for that. I see the theory but am not convinced. If you have decent sustain then the "dormant" coil is having negligible effect surely.

I was unconvinced until I had a single pickup Ibanez I put another pickup into. The effect is real.

I was unconvinced until I had a single pickup Ibanez I put another pickup into. The effect is real.
I have never tried it so bow to your experience, surprising though. I will back one tele pup into the body this weekend and have a go.

I've never owned one, but I've almost bought a handful of Esquires and LP jrs. The Esquire GAS has been strong for a few years.

Well, its just a theory that Ive actually never tested w other wise identical guitars.
But from my understanding its not really sustain per se, its that it makes the guitar "livelier".

It serves it's purpose well
model2-86.jpg

Right now one of my favorites is the Gibson 59 that I put into my EVH Frankie. The thing just sounds great. I can get a very wide tonal variety out of it. From clean to growl.

Skot_EVH_Zuul_02.jpg

On the subject of pickups I list the following as my personal favorites:

ESP LH100 (1984-1993)
Bill Lawrence L250 (1976-1983 although the new ones are nice too)
Jackson J90 or J90c (1984-1993)
ESP Rails single coil style humbucker (1984-1993)

Right now one of my favorites is the Gibson 59 that I put into my EVH Frankie. The thing just sounds great. I can get a very wide tonal variety out of it. From clean to growl.

Skot_EVH_Zuul_02.jpg
I'm gearing up to build the black & white version of that with a Floyd. Kind of a "What if Eddie didn't paint Franky red but did everything else to it?"

I really like the TV Jones classic plus. It would be cool to stick one in a Kramer-style 80s metal machine. Then I would do clean fingerpicking on it just to be ironic -- and because that's all I can play.

Back