real or fake?

real or fake

• Total voters
The hardware's condition doesn't appear to match the paint's. Makes me think fake. But otherwise I'd think real.

The hardware's condition doesn't appear to match the paint's. Makes me think fake. But otherwise I'd think real.

ok but consider this: look at the pole pieces, knobs, and saddles.
all suggest its a broadcaster so we're talking 1950 (if its real)
those early finishes were very fragile, no fullerplast just straight nitro

i'm going with at least some of the relicing is fake. when you look at the back, to have that "band" of wear ALL THE WAY AROUND and almost THE EXACT SAME WIDTH OF WEAR......yea, can't see how that would happen that way with real honest wear.

i'm going with at least some of the relicing is fake. when you look at the back, to have that "band" of wear ALL THE WAY AROUND and almost THE EXACT SAME WIDTH OF WEAR......yea, can't see how that would happen that way with real honest wear.

yeah thats what I saw...but again just fart and half the finish comes off on those early specimens

the way the finish is nicely removed about 1/8th of an inch all the way around the guitar body is suspect....

+1. If this damage is real it’s because the guitar was used for decades by two brothers, one right-handed and one left-handed. And it looks to have survived a few floods.

Fake.

Also, no serial number on the neck plate.

Broadcasters had the serial number stamped on the bridge plate near the rear pickup.

As for the guitar, all the contours look correct for a vintage broadcaster. Some of the relic action looks a little wonky, with little wear on the back and lots on the sides, but I still think it is a real vintage broadcaster. The headstock also looks like it might be a respray around the original logo, although in the old times sometimes they just would overspray the logo like that. Frets and nut don't look original. Anyway, I think it is a real vintage guitar, but I can't say if the relic stuff is real play wear or someone picking at it...and I am also not sure if it is a refinish from the pics. As the relic madness came long after broadcasters were 'Holy Grail' guitars, I am going to guess no one is stupid enough to abuse a real broadcaster, or refinish one in the last 20 years, so I'm going with real.

wow some of this is scary accurate

Broadcasters had the serial number stamped on the bridge plate near the rear pickup.

As for the guitar, all the contours look correct for a vintage broadcaster. Some of the relic action looks a little wonky, with little wear on the back and lots on the sides, but I still think it is a real vintage broadcaster. The headstock also looks like it might be a respray around the original logo, although in the old times sometimes they just would overspray the logo like that. Frets and nut don't look original. Anyway, I think it is a real vintage guitar, but I can't say if the relic stuff is real play wear or someone picking at it...and I am also not sure if it is a refinish from the pics. As the relic madness came long after broadcasters were 'Holy Grail' guitars, I am going to guess no one is stupid enough to abuse a real broadcaster, or refinish one in the last 20 years, so I'm going with real.

Back