real or fake?

real or fake

• Total voters
wow some of this is scary accurate

Now I wonder which parts I have right, and which are way off. I guessed refinish, as the headstock logo overspray thing and the fact that the yellow on the body looks a little off compared to other old tele/broadcasters. It looks more aniline yellow and less of the butterscotch yellow. The original fender yellow often turns off white around nicks and wear marks, and this guitar has none of that. The color of the wood underneath the wear certainly looks like it has been oxidized for a long, long time, so I think it is a really old refinish. Of course, I am just guessing. Many fakes are so good that you have to take the damn thing apart to know for sure if it is real...and even then, you need an expert. The fact that this looks like a somewhat molested and modded broadcaster makes me think it is real, as who would go through the effort to fake a desirable guitar with mods that hurt the value? Maybe those touches add to the legitimacy of the fake job. ??? Anyway, I'm sticking with my 'real' vote.

Last edited:
i never said that the guitar is a fake.....i said some of the "relicing" is just not right.....back edge all worn off and the actual back is not worn....almost NO way for that to happen from real playing wear.......the whole back would be worn also.

There's wear on the heel of the neck where it meets the neck pocket but not above it? It's like that guitar @warriorpoet posted on faecbuk that had finish wear going under the pickguard.

could be the angle of the dangle...this guitar has a significantly oversized lip you cant see here
You mean the neck pocket not being tapered with the neck heel so the pocket is wider than the heel that Broadcasters and early Teles had? That should further prevent that wear on the bottom of the heel at the mating surface.

I wish I could get more angles on that body. Wonder if it has the router hump in the cutaway and the flat spot at the output jack.

As for my old refinish idea, I would guess it was done in the mid 60's sometime, maybe as late as the early 70's. Looks to be a yellow dye from the later pre cbs era, rather than the original broadcaster yellow. That color lasted for a long time at fender, so it is hard to guess when it was repainted. I guess the wear looking bad on the edges versus the front back are due to poor prep work at the refinish leading to brittle nitro with crud underneath from nicks and such. Old nitro over sprays fail over wounds in the original finish, so I guess that would be the weird wear reason. someone did a crap job sanding down the original paint on the edges.

its real!

Broadcaster 0145
all original except pots and switch, and refret
it was refinished 12 years ago with a new looking finish (unrelic'd) and then played
you can see it here under blackguard collection>broadcaster>0145
http://www.telecasterplanet.com/
they refinished the neck around the original logo
originally it was refinished by the owner but it was the wrong color
it was too yellow, so Nacho Banos refinished it again with the proper color
and then played it for 12 years until he sold it a few months ago
to some bloke in Australia

Interesting. I still think it looks a bit too yellow, bit that might just be the photo. I'm surprised the refin was that recent. I guessed a 60's refin to that era's tele yellow, and it still looks that color to me. Hell, at least I spotted the refret.

I agree its way too yellow
shit is almost green actually messedup0

les pauls 52 Tele

my Broadcaster replica

my 52RI

heres a pic from Telecaster Planet

real 52 tele

real Broadcaster

Last edited:
The back looks like thinly applied finish, instead of natural wear. Worse, look at the side of the neck where it joins the body. ...

Back