Pawn Shop Crawl - Vintage Framus Edition

Kelly

24 Steel Wheels of Shoegaze
I found a Framus Texan 5/296 at a pawn shop for $60. They apparently go for 3-400 on the secondhand market. It isn't in great condition which would negatively affect any price I got flipping it but that's not my immediate plan anyway.

47c86252726b5dafe75c02ea9ab1d145.jpg

972b631538dbf48b3b6e3c0846f08170.jpg

4766de3ab4d4980fcb4794c279b27e84.jpg

8ee344a9f5e53b242d435f57e9fc2424.jpg

Congrats! It doesn't look like it has any structural damage...
To the contrary, it's in mighty fine shape. Neck needs a major relief adjustment and the tuners could use some oil like a man in the desert needs water but overall it's pretty good.

Those old 12-strings weren't built for the neck tension. Many of the old guys kept them tuned down to D or C and used a capo to bring it to standard tuning. That helped prevent the neck from bowing and the body from pulling up. I still tend to do that with a 12-string, even though the newer ones have better neck support and bracing.

I reset the neck on a 12 str Framus once, with the help of TerryAllenHall(rip).
Weird bolt on neck attachment system.
Neck was some sort of multi lamanate plywood, kinda bendy.
Not to hard to shim but the results weren't all that stable.
Still I got it playable but advised the guy to keep it tuned down to Eb or D because it seemed to want to fly apart at standdard tension.

Those old 12-strings weren't built for the neck tension. Many of the old guys kept them tuned down to D or C and used a capo to bring it to standard tuning. That helped prevent the neck from bowing and the body from pulling up. I still tend to do that with a 12-string, even though the newer ones have better neck support and bracing.
I'm honestly considering just stringing it up as a 6 and leaving it thus.

12 strings are cool until I sit down with one for more than 5 minutes and get bored.

Back