OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair game. 2 years. Though that was the eastern front, and it took a while for the USSR to form an effective counter. My mistake here was saying Axis. I should have learned from GWB's speech-writers.

France capitulated in June 1940, Germany invaded the USSR in June 1941. Germany declared war on the US on December 8, 1941. The USSR has never received the credit they deserve in the west for defeating Germany nearly single-handed in WWII, by comparison the Western front was a sideshow. I was brought up learning about D-Day and the Bulge, when Germany was really defeated at Stalingrad and Kursk.

All due respect to the UK for that period from June '40 to June '41 though, that was a lonely stretch.

France capitulated in June 1940, Germany invaded the USSR in June 1941. Germany declared war on the US on December 8, 1941. The USSR has never received the credit they deserve in the west for defeating Germany nearly single-handed in WWII, by comparison the Western front was a sideshow. I was brought up learning about D-Day and the Bulge, when Germany was really defeated at Stalingrad and Kursk.

All due respect to the UK for that period from June '40 to June '41 though, that was a lonely stretch.

Yeah, well the arms race started pretty quickly and Stalin was most definitely a BAAAD dude (not cool BAAAD either). So allies became enemies and before the ink could dry in any textbooks about this winning partnership the books were rewritten and the Communists as evil branding started in earnest...and that lasted a good 30+ years. And now Putin (another not so great great, frankly BAAAD) is bringing it back and Trump basically wants to buddy up and work with this guy.

And that's how you bring a thread back on topic. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. :thu:

Yeah, well the arms race started pretty quickly and Stalin was most definitely a BAAAD dude (not cool BAAAD either). So allies became enemies and before the ink could dry in any textbooks about this winning partnership the books were rewritten and the Communists as evil branding started in earnest...and that lasted a good 30+ years. And now Putin (another not so great great, frankly BAAAD) is bringing it back and Trump basically wants to buddy up and work with this guy.

And that's how you bring a thread back on topic. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you. :thu:
Thanks for bringing my off topic thread back on topic. :) Though I am interested in the above topics. I love WWII and 20th century history. I started this thread by saying I was over it with all the politics. Right now, I really feel that I am again. I know how I am going to vote, and all the posturing and mud slinging in the meantime will not add much to my life. But, I will loosely pay attention anyway.

Thanks for bringing my off topic thread back on topic. :) Though I am interested in the above topics. I love WWII and 20th century history. I started this thread by saying I was over it with all the politics. Right now, I really feel that I am again. I know how I am going to vote, and all the posturing and mud slinging in the meantime will not add much to my life. But, I will loosely pay attention anyway.

But, but...

14088443_1219527294758053_9100984820021948215_n.jpg

But, but...

14088443_1219527294758053_9100984820021948215_n.jpg
While her compensation went up right along with the cost of epipens. All while she moved the HQ overseas to avoid taxes.

According to CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/24/here...he-ceo-behind-the-big-epipen-price-hikes.html),

On Wednesday, Wells Fargo, in a research note, said that disclosure documents show that Mylan has been "actively lobbying" in favor of a bill in the Senate that would mandate that all airlines, domestic and foreign, carry at least two packs of epinephrine auto-injectors. EpiPens are, by a large degree, the most commonly used devices of that nature in the United States.

Mylan has spent a reported $875,000 on lobbying so far this year, after having spent $1.55 million in 2015, according to OpenSecrets.org.​

So basically the business plan is to raise the price 600%, then get congress to mandate that all airlines carry your product. Genius. And she'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids.

The donations to things like the Clinton Foundation don't mean a business has bought that politician. They're moves made to make it seem like company gives a shit about anyone other than their bottomline and shareholders. Sadly, there are amazing people doing amazing things in the research and development labs of these companies, but it's all corrupted on some level by the desire to make money...and since people are always going to get sick, let's make that the target for some of the grossest profits we can get. Yay!

We're evil, but we care. And yeah, we've probably bought at least some level of influence over Hillary.

And she'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids.

She still has an excellent chance of getting away with it- the American public has the attention span of a gnat. In a day or two a Kardashian will do something, and this whole thing will be forgotten.

Saw Hill's speech yesterday. Loved it. Only part I didn't like, she seams to be courting the republicans who don't want to vote for Trump. She was just a little too polite. Too, the republican party is wonderful but, now that you have a racist on your ticket, vote for me. Like, this is a new thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back