Old Farts That Are Still Relevant

People don't go to Petty shows because they share his point of view on modern music. They go to his show because they like his own music. Not the same thing at all.
Correct....And during his shows,(which I sometimes wonder why I even refer to the band as 'Tom Petty",though if you've watched the documentary."Runnin'Down A Dream",perhaps you'd understand. You're not gonna hear anything about his views on anything at a concert. He,and they know they're there to try and rock your face off,maybe take you back to a simpler place in time and leave you feeling a little better with something to talk about with family and friends. I've never felt anything other than that....And the 14 family members,and a shit load of thier friends that travelled distances and attended his 2 concerts with me feel the same..

I don't think anyone thinks poorly about Petty's music, I love it. I just think his statement about contests winners was wrong. I saw Petty on his Full Moon Fever tour and if he comes my way and tickets aren't super expensive, I'll be going to the show.

I learned a long ime ago that I have to separate the art from the artist.
Some are so overtly political I have to just stay away. I hate politics in my entertainment as much as I hate entertainment in my politics.

But most artists have bizarre/radical/nutty views of the world. If I let those determine who I listened to, the selection would be mighty small.
I don't ask the guy running the convenience store his stance on boll weevil eradication. I don't care. All I want is a beer and some skittles.

Petty had a long and rough go of it before getting noticed and picked up by a label. The idea of the rattle can-like, spray-on success a la winning game show contestant probably doesn't set well with him. There's fat to chew and dues to pay for that reward and that's his take on the rewards of success. Plus, those winning contestants aren't creating and adding artistic wealth to music. They're sticking their hands in someone else's plate to feed themselves, like most copy/cover players, and coming up diamonds. That would be a major WTF in my view as well. I think his rebuking opinion has all kinds of credence. And, the music companies sell their label cash cows if the royalties are dollar-correct. It's a pathetic business watching the soul of the art in the cold grasp of the suits.

Petty had a long and rough go of it before getting noticed and picked up by a label. The idea of the rattle can-like, spray-on success a la winning game show contestant probably doesn't set well with him. There's fat to chew and dues to pay for that reward and that's his take on the rewards of success. Plus, those winning contestants aren't creating and adding artistic wealth to music. They're sticking their hands in someone else's plate to feed themselves, like most copy/cover players, and coming up diamonds. That would be a major WTF in my view as well. I think his rebuking opinion has all kinds of credence. And, the music companies sell their label cash cows if the royalties are dollar-correct. It's a pathetic business watching the soul of the art in the cold grasp of the suits.

One of the heads just met one of the nails right there....

And I must add.....A few true great lines from TP...

Artist : Tom Petty
Song : Joe
my name's Joe I 'm the ceo
yeah, I 'm the man
makes the big wheels roll
I 'm the hand on
the green light switch
you get to be famous
I get to be rich
go get me a kid
with a good-looking face
bring me a kid
can remember his place
some hungry poet
son of a bitch
he gets to be famous I get to be rich
or bring me a girl
they're always the best
you put 'em on stage
and you have 'em undress
some angel whore
who can learn a guitar lick
hey, that's what I call music
well they'll come lookin' for money
when public gets bored
but we'll fight 'em with lawyers
they could never afford
yeah, I 'll make her look
like a spoiled little bitch
she gets to be famous
I get to be rich
so burnt-out johnny
thinks our books are shifty
what good's that alchI to me
when he's fifty
we could move catalog
if he'd only die quicker
send my regards to the gig
and a case of good liquor
he gets to be famous
I get to be rich
he gets to be famous
I get to be rich
my name's Joe , I 'm the ceo
I 'm the man who makes
the big wheels roll

Last edited:
What the hell....I shave by cordless and my scallops are still defrosting....

Always good to post a song that most haven't heard......

He,and the band were also nurtured which never happens today....Started out with people that r....

Ah,nevermind......Ya,you're right......

That being said there were people that took advantage of them along the way..

Some are so overtly political I have to just stay away. I hate politics in my entertainment as much as I hate entertainment in my politics.

But most artists have bizarre/radical/nutty views of the world. If I let those determine who I listened to, the selection would be mighty small.
I don't ask the guy running the convenience store his stance on boll weevil eradication. I don't care. All I want is a beer and some skittles.

IMG_1172.JPG

i-f91974eb49ddf8ca2e7491041d3d52ef-ei-blot-til-lyst.jpg

Skittles go with beer?

Who knew? :tongue:

Many established veteran acts are quite relevant, even more so than the platinum selling household names the mainstream media outlets force feed the world. It's generally the unique artists that establish the trends that are then co-opted and sucked clean of any passion before being resold and repackaged to the masses of asses. I really dig Neil Young's relatively recent output of original material. As long as you're enjoying the ride Dylan is still putting out music that he and a certain amount of his fans really dig. Springsteen, he's an old fart right? Rush are surely old farts and therefore definitely Robert Plant. What about blues, jazz, classical, folk, bluegrass and their many subgenres are literally oozing old farts...sorry that came out wrong...and so did that.

How old is an old fart. Is it the age of the musician or the run for the band? What determines relevancy? Van Halen isn't particularly relevant relative to popular music sales, but sold out world tours speak to a significant audience that still cares, right? And if you've been and continue to be influential, how can you be irrelevant.

All that said, it's irrelevant.

Back