Old Farts That Are Still Relevant

tompetty

Sporting a hammer...
Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one..

Just wanted to comment on the Tom Petty thread but didn't want to post in it because it's long, and may not get read..(awaits HuskerRudes comments..). TP&THB's have been doing this for almost 40 years and at the age of 60+ are still doing ok on tour. In 08, I seen them at The Air Canada Centre in Toronto where they sold out to aprox 35,000 people...In 2012 I seen them here in my hometown where they sold out to aprox 15,000(our largest arena). In fact, when his management discovered that people were buying tickets behind the backdrop where they would only be able to listen to the band, they made it an open concept and sold tickets for $40 dollars for those seats behind the stage. There wasn't an empty one.

The next arena they played in Newfoundland sold out in 7 minutes and a 2nd show was added, and it sold out. LOL. One thing I've noticed is that his crowds are diverse in age. Perhaps some kids are tired of the crap they're being force fed today but unfortunately most are not. I lay some blame on the parents for that in a way. At the Toronto show there were two teenage girls in front of me that were dancing their asses off and having a great time. All ages of people all around.

My two daughters and I were in the third row at the Halifax show and they both agreed that it was the best they've seen and right up there with the Neil Young and ACDC shows. Tom's concerts and crowds are great. My Daughters have also see others like Justin Beiber,Carrie Underwood,Keith Urban,to name a few(I didn't bother going to those shows.). TP's band goes on the road every 2 years and plays for a few months to sold out arena crowds all over the world. Not a bad gig.
I don't think Tom is too concerned about selling records, and I don't believe he thinks he'll sell but a few to his long time fans. I wonder if anybody from any idol "program", will be selling out arenas world wide 40 years from now? A few of us probably won't be around to find out...

I'll be getting his new cd to add to my collection of everything he's put out. I don't buy many cd's any more. The last cd I bought was JR Cash's new one from a couple months ago....

So people should quit calling the older artists washed up and irrelevent until they're at least willing to give a listen to their new material or as Pink Floyd once said,"Go to the show".. Heck,Dwight yoakam put out a really good record a couple years ago called Three Pears, and don't get me started on Leonard Cohen..

Anyway,I think the pic in that other Petty thread was from the interview that aired in Canada the other night for any one that's interested...Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!!

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV Shows/The National/ID/2477495566/

Forgot to mention that my brother and I seen Steve Earle a couple years ago....Really good show...

Sorry,don't know how to edit....LOL...OMG,I really am an old fart.....

Ah,I see the edit botton now..Didn't have my spectacles on!!!!

*spits*

Tom Petty and Mike Campbell continue to make relevant music and the band remains timeless in many aspects. While I'm not a huge fan, I'd put them in my bands I want to see play live list. The Live Anthology album is a must own album for all but the true haters.

grandpa-simpson-shakes-fist-at-cloud.jpg

The issue that people raised was not Tom Petty's age or relevance, it was his attitude toward today's music that raised hackles.

But Moma.....For the most part,it's True......

I'm sure I'm not the only one that agrees and welcomes it coming from his own mouth.....................

Well let me think....hmmm.....Sold out arena shows....I think I'm not the only one.........

But Moma.....For the most part,it's True......

I'm sure I'm not the only one that agrees and welcomes it coming from his own mouth.....................

Well let me think....hmmm.....Sold out arena shows....I think I'm not the only one.........

People don't go to Petty shows because they share his point of view on modern music. They go to his show because they like his own music. Not the same thing at all.

People don't go to Petty shows because they share his point of view on modern music. They go to his show because they like his own music. Not the same thing at all.
I know but come on dude.....Actually his "views",which are actually more of his opinion on his world today(check out The Last DJ),are pretty tame to others views thoughout history. Like Steve Earle for example. You know you're gonna get a speel from him,though he's reeled it back some over the years...You have views,and I have views that I'm sure we share with others...

Off the soapbox......Gotta get shit done.....Thanks and later......

I know but come on dude.....Actually his "views",which are actually more of his opinion on his world today(check out The Last DJ),are pretty tame to others views thoughout history. Like Steve Earle for example. You know you're gonna get a speel from him,though he's reeled it back some over the years...You have views,and I have views that I'm sure we share with others...

Off the soapbox......Gotta get shit done.....Thanks and later......

Yeah, and people that go to a Steve Earl show expect that. That's who Steve is and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy him more because of them. This thread and the other one isn't about Petty's musical prowess, it's about his musical revisionism vs how the industry has always worked. It's actually rather disappointing, because you'd expect him to know better.

Yeah, and people that go to a Steve Earl show expect that. That's who Steve is and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy him more because of them. This thread and the other one isn't about Petty's musical prowess, it's about his musical revisionism vs how the industry has always worked. It's actually rather disappointing, because you'd expect him to know better.

Hence, old man yells at cloud.

Yeah, and people that go to a Steve Earl show expect that. That's who Steve is and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy him more because of them.
Hence, old man yells at cloud.

As of four weeks ago, Steve spent almost no time talking, letting the songs speak for themselves. He's more about the music these days, only telling a quick story behind a song here and there, then play three songs back to back without a pause.

Last edited:
I love Dylan for that; 2.5 hours of straight music, then "thanks, guys", and then everyone goes home.

Idk. Rock music is a closed system, at this point. There's still some really great music, but it's hard to be relevant in a spin cycle.

Back