OK...I give up...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
So, my first foray into computer recording has been a dismal failure...

My computer is no slouch...AMD Athlon2 3.0Ghz dual core, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Western Digital HD...

I went a little cheap on the interface and software, with a Lexicon Alpha 2.0 and Cakewalk Sonar HomeXL, which has the studio devil amp plug -in...

running on Windows 7/64...

MASSIVE latency and horrible noise when using the studio devil...went through EVERY suggested setting to speed up the computer, installed ASIO4ALL, turned off EVERY background program, disabled on-baord sound...tried it all at the same time...

still not getting past latency and still with terrible noise...

so here's my question...would using a multi-pedal, like a digitech RP155, in place of a plug-in for guitar cure most of the latency issues? would a USB Mic also be in order?

Last edited:
Instead of using ASIO4ALL, the Lexicon should have ASIO drivers you can use, or even WDM (which Sonar is actually able to run fairly well). The problem with the horrible noise I can't really diagnose, but if the latency is only when you're running the plug-in than you're not using any sort of near-zero latency monitoring. It's been awhile since I've run Sonar, but under the audio options you should look at your buffer settings and also try recording both with input echo on and off. Did the Lexicon come with any kind of it's own software mixing program?

Last edited:
Instead of using ASIO4ALL, the Lexicon should have ASIO drivers you can use, or even WDM (which Sonar is actually able to run fairly well). The problem with the horrible noise I can't really diagnose, but if the latency is only when you're running the plug-in than you're not using any sort of near-zero latency monitoring. It's been awhile since I've run Sonar, but under the audio options you should look at your buffer settings and also try recording both with input echo on and off. Did the Lexicon come with any kind of it's own software mixing program?

came with Cubase, which I wasn't thrilled with...I went through all the WDM and ASIO stuff, and the lexicon's drivers don't get along any batter with SONAR than any others...input echo off gives close to zero latency but it's the dry guitar sound...I like to hear the actual guitar sound when I play, plus it helps with things like pinch harmonics and stuff...I know that SONAR 7 is not made to be compatible with WIN7 but it is with Vista so there really shouldn't be issues in that regard...

I have a bunch of shit on eBay right now...I may just try an RP155 with the money...I dunno...:shrug:

came with Cubase, which I wasn't thrilled with...I went through all the WDM and ASIO stuff, and the lexicon's drivers don't get along any batter with SONAR than any others...input echo off gives close to zero latency but it's the dry guitar sound...I like to hear the actual guitar sound when I play, plus it helps with things like pinch harmonics and stuff...I know that SONAR 7 is not made to be compatible with WIN7 but it is with Vista so there really shouldn't be issues in that regard...

I have a bunch of shit on eBay right now...I may just try an RP155 with the money...I dunno...:shrug:

What's your buffer and latency set at? I used to record in Sonar 6 with Guitar Rig 2 and while you can never completely remove latency I got it down to where it wasn't noticeable. I know it's not much help now, but I can look at it for you next month if you can't get it all pinned down.

I know i've got everything set to max performance, so latency is set low, and I think the buffer is too...

I'm so frustrated with it I don't even want to look now...

I'm glad I didn't sell my Zoom MRS-8 yet...

You should run fine. I'm recording on an old single core 1.6Ghz POS with 1gig of ram with no problems as long as I'm careful with plug ins. Use the lexicon driver not the asio4all. I'm using the Omega. I don't understand your question of using a usb mic if you have the alpha to plug mics into? Studio devil is noisy.

I've never used the software based amp modellers, but I used a Lexicon Omega for a year or so with no problems at all using a much lower powered computer than you have now.

Do you still have a latency problem if you just monitor the dry guitar without the plugin on? (i.e. not a direct monitoring type thing, but still going through the DAW and coming out the master bus)

Back