NGD: Jim Dandy

I went on a pilgrimage to the deadly/holy grounds of Elderly Instruments in Lansing and played two of them. I would say that it sounds shockingly good. I have been thinking of getting one for a travel/knockaround kind of guitar. I also tried a Recording King "Dirty Thirties" O-body guitar, which has a full scale length. I thought it had a slight edge in terms of the warmth of its sound. In terms of esthetics, the Jim Dandy has a slight edge because of its unnatural funky look. The Recording King just looks unnatural. The Recording King is kind of like a painting of a guitar. Stand back about 20 feet and it looks a bit like what a guitar would look in the hands of a old school bluesman in a faded photo. Up close, it looks like a toy made of plastic. Still, it sounds good.

What both have in common is a satin finish painted neck which seems to have a kind of U shape. Again, I was surprised at how comfortable both felt. The Jim Dandy had nice clean construction details inside.

I am really divided in terms of which one I get. The Recording king is 30 bucks more, and the cost of the guitar + case will probably make the deal for me.

Back