NGD: Jim Dandy

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
ncFYHfo.jpg

I picked up this Gretsch Jim Dandy today at the local music store. It’s a $169 3/4 guitar (24" scale). When I first saw it I thought it was some kind of overgrown guitalele because the satin finish and agathis look like a cheap photo top unless you get very close. I actually checked it with a loupe at home to be sure it wasn’t printed. The guitar sounds damned good—much better than Yamaha models that cost $250 and up. It doesn’t sound plinky, and the lows and highs are very balanced which is nice because I keep my nails fairly short. But if I lay into it with my thumb or a pick it sounds like a bigger guitar. The neck is on the bulky side for a 3/4 guitar, so it’s easy to play with adult hands. FMIC needs to keep the designer of this guitar busy, because if it’s not a fluke, there’s a lot of money to be made in Agathis acoustic guitars.

Nice. I've had moderate GAS for one of those for a while. I think I posted a hot or not a while back. Congrats!

I started gassing when a client got one. I featured it in a cd cover I illustrated/designed.

4872ea8a329726b71f3b67c914f55cae.jpg

Last edited:
I got one for Christmas before last, when they were going for $149. Nice bluesy tone and good volume for such a small cheap box.
But I put some medium ga electric strings on it and installed a GFS lipstick tube pickup in the soundhole with just a volume knob. Great little slide machine but I did loose quite a bit of the acoustic richness and volume with the electric strings.I have some Martin Monel strings for it I'm gonna try that should get back a bit of the acoustic tone while still working with the pickup.
HNGD!

HNGD!

I've been thinking about getting a parlor size guitar for some time. My dreadnought acoustic is getting harder to handle the older I get. Plus there ain't no money above the 12th fret.

I finally replaced the stock strings with a set of .011 guage D’Addario phosphor bronze strings. Now this guitar sounds incredible. Overall it’s bright as fuck but without getting icy. The bottom is less boomy and the top end just comes alive with light airy overtones. It projects even more with good lighter strings than with the shitty heavy strings it came with. I’m honestly shocked at how good this guitar sounds with nice strings. It sounds like $1,000+ guitars I’ve tried in stores. Now I’m wondering how many $500 guitars would blow me away if I bought one and replaced the stock strings!

Back