Neil Giraldo

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
I've had to learn two Pat Benatar songs for this new band I've joined. Not the usual stuff, but Hell Is For Children and Promises In the Dark. I've come to a very big revelation- Neil is one of the most under-rated guitar players ever.

Those are my two favorite songs by them.
Yes, he's underrated or perhaps somewhat forgotten, but back when those songs were new the guitar magazines were praising him occasionally.

I saw Pat Benatar and Co. at an Indian reservation in San Jacinto Ca. some years back. He was very loud. Loud enough to cause physical pain. As I remember he pretty much blew out the entire band including Ms. Benatar. It all seemed to come off as very much not the Pat Benatar act. He show boated the entire evening and didn't seem to care that his job should have been to showcase Pat Bebatar. He may be a killer guitarist but as a showman (at least for that evening) I was pretty much put off by his lack of professionalism. The next weekend I went to see George Thorogood at the same place. He was just as loud but for some reason it didn't hurt at all. Maybe it was just me.

Last edited:
Neil is great. It is hard to rate players really. If Neil is underrated, who is overrated and/or who is in the middle. I have a problem when players are compared others as it is an unfair comparison at times.

I just think Neil is a great player and I just like the way he plays.

He (GretschGuy/BG76) was a real tool. IIRC, he worshipped at the altar of Ed Roman as well. I got into a few arguments with him.

Neil actually can't be blamed for the guitar showboating thing: it was Pat. She wanted more and more heavy guitar in her shows and though he was capable of doing that stuff Pat basically would yell at him "crank it up" when he wasn't really sure if he should do that or not. Anyway. You get the idea.

My only thoughts on Neil were back on HC when the member then known as GretschGuy tried to convince everyone he was Neil. Got banned and returned as BG76. What a tool.
I always thought the real NG should have sued GG for making him look like such an asshole.

Neil actually can't be blamed for the guitar showboating thing: it was Pat. She wanted more and more heavy guitar in her shows and though he was capable of doing that stuff Pat basically would yell at him "crank it up" when he wasn't really sure if he should do that or not. Anyway. You get the idea.

I didn't know that. Honestly all I really know about him is what I saw and heard that evening. Thanks for clearing that up.

My only thoughts on Neil were back on HC when the member then known as GretschGuy tried to convince everyone he was Neil. Got banned and returned as BG76. What a tool.

i only knew him as BG76. he gave me good advice on a few occasions. the only thing that never sat well with me was how inciting and caustic some of his NGD threads seemed to be.

i only knew him as BG76. he gave me good advice on a few occasions. the only thing that never sat well with me was how inciting and caustic some of his NGD threads seemed to be.

It's funny -- as BG76 he could be quite personable, but would go off for the least little thing!

Back