Need tap tempo delay suggestions....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
My current delay pedal (digitech hardwire) does the tap tempo thing, just not very well. Way too hard to get in and out of the tap setup and hard to tell if it took. I don't have time to worry about that when I'm in the middle of a gig.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a delay that does tap tempo and preferably has a separate button to tap in the delays. And as inexpensively as possible while still sounding good and being a quality product. . My music budget is very slim these days. And I know that is probably asking for a miracle. But $200 is out of the question - and $150 probably is as well.

Oh - and I don't need any looper functions. Not my thing....

Wish I could help. I've never owned a delay with tap tempo. When I was gigging with my brother in law, what he did was set the pedal for the tempo with the knob and then did a quick slap of the strings and the drummer used that to click into the song. So we let the pedal dictate the tempo instead of trying to tap the pedal to the match the song.

I'm sure Howie can recommend you something though.

For my tap tempo stuff, I use an AKAI Head Rush E2. It's a tape delay emulator, so it may not do exactly what you're looking for. I got mine on a closeout for $100.

If you just want something simple, the DD7 has an input for tap tempo. A tap switch is like $15. It covers a buncha ground and should cover what you need. The DD5 has the same function, but it's strictly a digital delay. Anything else, I'm gonna need to know what kinda sound you're looking for.

If you just want something simple, the DD7 has an input for tap tempo. A tap switch is like $15. It covers a buncha ground and should cover what you need. The DD5 has the same function, but it's strictly a digital delay. Anything else, I'm gonna need to know what kinda sound you're looking for.
This would be my suggestion too. You can probably make this fit your budget used.

This would be my suggestion too. You can probably make this fit your budget used.

Looks like a good idea. I used to have a DD-3 and liked it. Getting a used one and an external pedal is looking at about $140 - $150 or so, depending on shipping. I can probably get about $70 or so for my used Hardwire so not much out of pocket.

The main reason I'm looking at one is I'm hoping to start playing at my church and like it or not (and I don't), modern worship music uses a good amount (translate: way too damn much) delay synched to the beat. It's not what I like doing, but I won't be calling the shots. I really like the Visual Sound Tap Delay, but they are not made any more and even the used ones are running over $150 (if you can find one used).

@Denverdave What are you using for solo boost and reverb?

I only ask because an entire FlyRig is only $250, has tap tempo delay, reverb, eq, distortion, and solo boost... and is more compact and portable than most other units.

There are several flavors... I wouldn't do a show without my Cali.

flyrig_cali_lg.jpg

I only ask because an entire FlyRig is only $250, has tap tempo delay, reverb, eq, distortion, and solo boost... and is more compact and portable than most other units.

flyrig_cali_lg.jpg

Hmmmmmm.........

I have reverb on my amp....and I use an LPB-1 for my boost.

@Denverdave I have reverb on my Mesa... and I also have a Spark boost. I use them in different ways. The reverb on the amp is set light and ambient.... I dial in the sans amp channel in the middle a little warmer and thicker. Basically I go from my chimey spanky clean to my warmer blues clean. Then the boost on the Flyrig I set at only 10:embarrassed:0 so again I can stack and layer depending on where I want to sit in the mix. My sparkboost mini is at the end of my chain to increase the volume for solos no matter which sound I have.

It's how I've gotten away from needing a zillion different distortion pedals just because I can create new sounds by layering the one distortion pedal I use (Catapulp), one Phaser at the beginning of my chain, and one Sparkboost at the end with the various things the Flyrig can do in the middle. It leaves plenty of room on my board for all my looping stuff. :helper:

flyrig_cali_lg.jpg
If that's too pricey, what was that pedal that @mystixboi1 and @telecaster911 tried out? It was clearly "inspired" by the flyrig but had some different features as well (FX loop being the main one I think).

EDIT: Found it - Valeton Dapper
Looks like they now have a smaller version as well which is correspondingly cheaper. The Dapper Mini - http://www.valeton.net/html/en/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=215

Last edited:
The EHX Canyon delay has tap tempo built right into the single switch. The TC Flashback is supposed to let you hold down the button and set the tempo by strumming it into your guitar (muted strings), but I've heard it's not consistent. The Canyon is the cheaper unit...$140 new.

Tech 21's dedicated Boost DLA can be had for $115 used on Reverb, as can the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy...both have two switches, one just for tap.

The EHX Canyon delay has tap tempo built right into the single switch. The TC Flashback is supposed to let you hold down the button and set the tempo by strumming it into your guitar (muted strings), but I've heard it's not consistent. The Canyon is the cheaper unit...$140 new.

Tech 21's dedicated Boost DLA can be had for $115 used on Reverb, as can the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy...both have two switches, one just for tap.

A couple of possible causes for concern:
The Boost DLA LED doesn't blink with the tap. Drove me nvts.
The EHX Memory Boy uses regular switch for tap. It doesn't click, but it's not a "soft switch" either. Also, the tone control is hidden in the feedback knob. Lastly, for P&W, you may come across FX snobbery with this one. It's a great pedal, but it gets too weird for some, and since it's not the DMM, it's obviously inferior. (I don't think that. I own one and it's fantastic.)

I'm more concerned that it gets the job done. I already have great tone, pedal snobbery is not something I worry about.

I will be doing part one of the audition (video audition) inside two weeks or so. Part of the video audition is discussing my gear. I'm going to have to up my game on the delay for sure, and maybe add a volume pedal as well. And maybe upgrade my board itself. I'm using a beat-up 15 year old SKB board. I really have no interest in playing at the main church (which is a massive church whose bands has CDs out), but I guess they throw everyones name in a DB so you may be asked to play elsewhere if they are short a player. I attend at a church that meets in a high school downtown, and there are two other smaller churches as well I might be asked to fill in at.

So - researching like crazy right now. I don't need a looper or modulations. Or reverb. Gotta have tap tempo and preferably a ability to choose divisions (dotted 8ths, etc). Figures what I need throws me into $200 plus territory for the most part. Wondering if a EHX Memory Boy Deluxe would work to keep the price down.And having to pitch this to the Mrs... Honestly - I would prefer digital delay as opposed to analog.

I will be doing part one of the audition (video audition) inside two weeks or so. Part of the video audition is discussing my gear. I'm going to have to up my game on the delay for sure, and maybe add a volume pedal as well. And maybe upgrade my board itself. I'm using a beat-up 15 year old SKB board. I really have no interest in playing at the main church (which is a massive church whose bands has CDs out), but I guess they throw everyones name in a DB so you may be asked to play elsewhere if they are short a player. I attend at a church that meets in a high school downtown, and there are two other smaller churches as well I might be asked to fill in at.

So - researching like crazy right now. I don't need a looper or modulations. Or reverb. Gotta have tap tempo and preferably a ability to choose divisions (dotted 8ths, etc). Figures what I need throws me into $200 plus territory for the most part. Wondering if a EHX Memory Boy Deluxe would work to keep the price down.And having to pitch this to the Mrs... Honestly - I would prefer digital delay as opposed to analog.

I think the DMB is a great delay. I would sell it to you, but they really have no resale value, and it's just not worth it. They pop up on Reverb for $100 regularly. So go get one. :thu:

I think the DMB is a great delay. I would sell it to you, but they really have no resale value, and it's just not worth it. They pop up on Reverb for $100 regularly. So go get one. :thu:

I'm leaning that way. I mean a Strymon or a JHS would be nice, but I really can't spend $300 on a delay pedal even though I do have the cash. There is this house thing I'm trying to buy....

Back