Need help with build

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I have a friend who is always dreamed about making in EVH replica. I finally took the plunge and ordered all the parts and a custom kit from musikraft. After the guitar was painted and ready to be put together, he realize that the holes for the Floyd Rose brushlings were too big. He ordered a Floyd Rose special. When he contacted Floyd Rose, he was told that the brushlings were standard size and the holes were drilled too big. He's waiting to hear back from musikraft but is there anything he can do here?

28E237C7-2D11-4CC2-8602-CF3AFD3C8A79.jpg

What Howie said, or wrap the bushings in some tape to make them snug. a re-drill is the right way to do it though.

Filling and redrilling is the pdoper way to do it, but a quick and dirty fix would be to get a tube of this...

http://m.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-KwikWood-1-oz-Filler-8257/202528468

...and use it to fill the void space around the inserts...I did this on one if my guitars when I overdrilled a hole and the results were...acceptable...

ahhhh.... that might just work, but how does he make sure that they are straight? or would it not matter?

sorry... i don't know much about this stuff

A hardwood dowel glued in the hole...

^This is the correct answer.

I did it on a project guitar which had originally had a really grotty KMD branded trem which I was replacing with a licenced Floyd into. The centre of the post positions required for the Floyd were about 4-5 mm away from where the KMD had them and not even the same width apart...

ahhhh.... that might just work, but how does he make sure that they are straight? or would it not matter?

sorry... i don't know much about this stuff

So what you've got here is a classic example of why amateurs such as myself should never do major repairs on guitars. Bring it to a luthier who actually builds guitars, not a "guitar tech", and have them do it.

Yeah, dowels are the way to go. I have an 80's strat that got the Floyd conversion and it required doweling to fill the fender holes. It worked great for like 30 years. The only issue was toasting the Fender's value doing the mod, but that wasn't really a big concern.

EDIT: I paid someone to do this butchery. I lack the skill to dowel something.

Last edited:
So what you've got here is a classic example of why amateurs such as myself should never do major repairs on guitars. Bring it to a luthier who actually builds guitars, not a "guitar tech", and have them do it.

yeah man... i would never mess with this kind of stuff. both builds that i worked on were hardtails!

We have a Michaels that's less than 2 miles from my house. I've taken a Tele body in and actually gauged the dowel sizes in the aisle.
Most hobby or home improvement stores should carry them.
Although one Lowes in our area doesn't. Strange.

another option would be to have new (oversized) bushings machined. That way you won't be stressing about redrilling the holes in the body in the proper location.

I learned a long time ago to leave it to the pros....I don't have a clue.

The person who drills this out should have a drill-press. If you don't have a numbered and lettered set of drill bits you'll need to match up the drill bit size you do have with the dowel you are going to buy to get a tight fit so there is no slop. In regard to fixes this one is serious because it will effect the play and tuning stability for how ever long he has the guitar.

Musikraft told him to fill the holes with epoxy once the bushings were in place.

That's what he did... we'll see tonight how it turns out

Back