National Hockey League 2018-2019

The link in my post above said Key Arena will be set up to hold 18,600 for basketball and 17K for hockey.
Yeah, but so far, just for the WNBA, and as cool as their success has been (and I do criticize myself for not following it more), it is not the Supersonics. They were my first team I ever cared about. This is the latest speculation I found on that current situation. https://deadspin.com/report-potential-nba-expansion-to-seattle-may-not-happ-1829578230 The situation looked different with the proposed, privately financed, new stadium down in SODO where the other stadiums are, that the Port of Seattle opposed. https://deadspin.com/report-potential-nba-expansion-to-seattle-may-not-happ-1829578230

But this thread is for people who follow NHL. Though I am a Seattle team fan, I can never claim to have really followed the Mariners, (other than that one run they had in the 90's), and hockey for me is enjoyed more as a minor league thing, much like me and baseball. So I will respectfully bow out of the thread and let you NHL fans carry on.
 
I was listening to some guys on a television show discussing Karlsson. Some points which were made really caught my attention.

One thing was that last season in Ottawa, he had voiced his interest in not practicing as much. So they didn't. How good was EK65 and how good were the Sens? Not good. This was a team that came a goal or two from reaching the Finals the previous year against Fat Phil and the near invincible Penguins.

Another point that was made was that when an interviewer asked one of the Sens what it was like in the locker room this year capared to last year, he was told "this year it's like a democracy whereas last year it was a dictatorship".

Stories about online bullying aside (obviously that's horrible shit if it was true) but the points previously made tell me all I want or need to know about EK65. He is a locker room cancer and I don't want him on my team. As dominant as he was in the playoffs 2 seasons ago, he doesn't have the heart. The worst part of this is that San Jose already has Evander Kane who has no heart but talent galore.

Guys like Couture and Thorton must be shaking their heads and frustrated as F with these guys.

Meanwhile Marleau has to be one of the happiest guys in the NHL to have left that and to be where he is now.

I don't see that at all. Yes, the sharks are struggling this year, and sports tv people get paid to make up 'interesting' bullshit. But hey, if it makes you feel good to believe it, more power to you.
 
Honestly, I think Vegas just got lucky last year, even though on paper they looked stacked. They have close to the same team as last year, but the results are glaringly different.

But...Seattle Metropolitans is a damn stupid name.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/...sion-approval-for-the-leagues-32nd-franchise/

They started off poorly yes but had some injuries etc to deal with. They are 7-3 in their last 10 including a pasting of the Sharks where they looked a lot like they did last year. I would hesitate to right them off. They have a lot of good players and with some of the deals they made they probably got better.

But the Metropolitans is a damn stupid name. Can't they come up with something a bit more inventive?
 
They started off poorly yes but had some injuries etc to deal with. They are 7-3 in their last 10 including a pasting of the Sharks where they looked a lot like they did last year. I would hesitate to right them off. They have a lot of good players and with some of the deals they made they probably got better.

But the Metropolitans is a damn stupid name. Can't they come up with something a bit more inventive?

The Seattle Wett Fartz.

"We'll show you 'rainy.'"
 
They started off poorly yes but had some injuries etc to deal with. They are 7-3 in their last 10 including a pasting of the Sharks where they looked a lot like they did last year. I would hesitate to right them off. They have a lot of good players and with some of the deals they made they probably got better.

But the Metropolitans is a damn stupid name. Can't they come up with something a bit more inventive?

Oh, I agree, but I don't think the expansion draft process is now a giant builder in that Seattle will be in a position to contend for the cup in their first season like Vegas did. Not likely to happen, but I guess we will see.

Seattle SuperSkaters is way better than Metropolitans, and it sucks too.
 
Oh, I agree, but I don't think the expansion draft process is now a giant builder in that Seattle will be in a position to contend for the cup in their first season like Vegas did. Not likely to happen, but I guess we will see.

Seattle SuperSkaters is way better than Metropolitans, and it sucks too.
I just like the Thunderbirds name. Fits with local lore. But, that was the minor league (or whatever it is called) team. Maybe the Orcas or something.
 
I don't see that at all. Yes, the sharks are struggling this year, and sports tv people get paid to make up 'interesting' bullshit. But hey, if it makes you feel good to believe it, more power to you.

These guys aren't just run of the mill sports tv people. Had I known that you wouldn't find it to be interesting inside information and were just going to dismiss it as 'made up stuff' I would have noted the names. He may have even named the guy in the locker room that he asked but I don't recall. I do know that they weren't 'make it up' sports tv guys. Hockey is important in Canada and there may be jobs in broadcasting where people can get away with that kind of crap but not on the major networks and this was a major network.

I do recall how F'n horrible EK65 was last year, and I do recall how horrible the Sens did last year - and if that's the part that 'you don't see at all' you are blind. Coincidentally, look how good the Sens are doing with a completely depleted line up...not like Buffalo who has 2 legit superstars.

I think that it makes you feel good to dismiss it, and more power to you.
 
These guys aren't just run of the mill sports tv people. Had I known that you wouldn't find it to be interesting inside information and were just going to dismiss it as 'made up stuff' I would have noted the names. He may have even named the guy in the locker room that he asked but I don't recall. I do know that they weren't 'make it up' sports tv guys. Hockey is important in Canada and there may be jobs in broadcasting where people can get away with that kind of crap but not on the major networks and this was a major network.

I do recall how F'n horrible EK65 was last year, and I do recall how horrible the Sens did last year - and if that's the part that 'you don't see at all' you are blind. Coincidentally, look how good the Sens are doing with a completely depleted line up...not like Buffalo who has 2 legit superstars.

I think that it makes you feel good to dismiss it, and more power to you.

You didn't present it as 'inside information' based on quotes from a player, but rather "some guys on TV". And do you mean a Sens or Shark player? I watch a lot of the local coverage and haven't seen a hint of dissent alluded to regarding Karllson. Maybe @bsman or @nuke_diver have? Otherwise, maybe it's based on sour feelings from a Sens player?

I also watch a lot of NHL coverage, and hear hockey guys speculating all the time, just like any other sportscaster. Being Canadian doesn't change that.

And this part just seems to be your opinion, based on your gut feelings I guess.

Guys like Couture and Thorton must be shaking their heads and frustrated as F with these guys.

Meanwhile Marleau has to be one of the happiest guys in the NHL to have left that and to be where he is now.


OK, sure. If you say so.

But if you have a quote from a Sharks player about Karlsson, or Kane not fitting in or being a cancer to the team, post it.
 
Another point that was made was that when an interviewer asked one of the Sens what it was like in the locker room this year capared to last year, he was told "this year it's like a democracy whereas last year it was a dictatorship".


After this part,
Stories about online bullying aside (obviously that's horrible shit if it was true) but the points previously made tell me all I want or need to know about EK65.
it's just my opinion.

Kane sucks. He sucked in Winnipeg with all kinds of talent around him. He sucked in Buffalo and Buffalo is doing great without him...isn't this only season 2 without him? In San Jose he has an excellent game here and there & completely disappears in games...just like Karlsson.

San Jose has an older talent base. Can they affotd to have 2 'me' guys with no heart who are on the younger side of their 'high talent guys'? These 2 guys should be the hardest working guys on the team right now. The revelation about Karlsson wanting to practice less was very revealing for me because the results played out as the season went on: practice less, fail more.

Maybe Karlsson doesn't practice less in San Jose but I bet his effort level is lower in practice. His interview after getting blasted in Ottawa was a lot of "I accomplished that" (he must have said it 3 or 4 times) talking about having fun and so on. He made one minor point about losing the game. He was minus 2. Cool image though...curled moustache & slick mullet.

Reminds me of Kane posting pics of push ups in Vegas with a pile of money on his back.

Kessel is a hard practicer too.

Just threw that one in because their last names all start with K.

My opinion: Karlsson traded at the deadline unless San Jose turns their season around.
 
Last edited:
I like the Seattle T-Birds, maybe they can negotiate for it :shrug:

As far as issues with Karlsson or Kane to me it's all speculation unless you are hearing it from the locker room. Doug Wilson has been a decent judge of who works on the team and I doubt he makes the deals for either if there are major red flags. Frankly Karlsson is unlikely to stay simply because there will be a cap issue (more than likely) if he does. There is someone I can ask to get a bit more of an insiders view of the locker room but even he isn't a player anymore so not sure what he would know. The biggest problems with the Sharks have little do do with either of these 2 though. They have to do with inconsistent effort and mostly bad goal tending. The last 2 games Jones looked more like he has in past years than he has all this year. If he keeps that up the Sharks will rise and this will (as another sports superstar recently said) will be in the past like a ponytail

:disco:
 
I like the Seattle T-Birds, maybe they can negotiate for it :shrug:

As far as issues with Karlsson or Kane to me it's all speculation unless you are hearing it from the locker room. Doug Wilson has been a decent judge of who works on the team and I doubt he makes the deals for either if there are major red flags. Frankly Karlsson is unlikely to stay simply because there will be a cap issue (more than likely) if he does. There is someone I can ask to get a bit more of an insiders view of the locker room but even he isn't a player anymore so not sure what he would know. The biggest problems with the Sharks have little do do with either of these 2 though. They have to do with inconsistent effort and mostly bad goal tending. The last 2 games Jones looked more like he has in past years than he has all this year. If he keeps that up the Sharks will rise and this will (as another sports superstar recently said) will be in the past like a ponytail

:disco:

Agreed, but rather than merely bad goaltending, it has been bad defense team wide. Curtis Brown has been very vocal about the need for the team to play defense first, which is what Sharks hockey is based on. Half of those bad goals should have been blocked or dealt with before they got to Jones or Dell.
 
I have loved Ovechkin since he came into the NHL. Just think...he almost went to Pittsburgh!

I don't know if it is realistic that he could actually take Gretzky's goal scoring record but who knows?
He has been the goal scoring leader more times than Gretzky, he has a higher percentage of 50 goal seasons than Gretzky and he's doing it in a lower scoring era. I think they should have downsized the goalie gear years ago but hey...what do I know? He missed 50 last year by one and he has had a couple of other seasons where he was close (46 and 49). Dynamic, exciting and like a kid with the humour and with the excitement after goals. So great. I am very happy that he is having an excellent season this year and hope that he stays healthy & keeps tearing up the goal scoring.

Assists. The NHL is too free with them. Goals. That's where it's at. I love great passing but when a missed shot goes off the back wall and someone else scoops it up & scores - the guy who missed gets an assist? Come on.
 
Ovi scores again & then gets a shootout goal as well.

In an interview after the game says "you can't score every night".

The guy is hilarious.
 
Back
Top