More Pedal Drama: Vertex/mason marangella interview on reverb

I bought a vibe pedal because it had a bird on it
I bought a reverb pedal because it had a bear on it
Nuff said!!

I guess I just don't understand your argument, and that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

I won't support a pedal maker that intentionally misled to others, again and again, even though he didn't mislead me personally. Thanks to the internet, I can know about these things happening without personal experience. :wink:

It wasn't an argument. I just wanted to see how many either tried Vertex products or had conducted business with them. Many will rant because of what others said just because they read it. It is like the common comment made: "If it is on the internet, it must be true.". I don't have any ties to Mason other than meeting him at the Quilter show. Wasn't burned by him and I did try his products. I like a few of them (Steel String OD and Robben Ford OD Prototype). Will I buy the SSOD? Unsure as I have so many pedals. Can I use what I have to get that same sound? IDK as I cannot do a side by side comparison. Would I buy something from him? Maybe - but would need to try again to solidify my needs and wants.

Do I agree with his practice on the Wah, no but the guy came clean. What if he never came clean? Do we know? 1) Yes, we do - probably would not do business. 2) No we don't, unsure as he never had the SSOD or Ford Prototype so probably not. In regards to the Wah....I had no interest as I am Crybaby user (my preference).

Do I agree with his practice on the Wah, no but the guy came clean. What if he never came clean? Do we know? 1) Yes, we do - probably would not do business. 2) No we don't, unsure as he never had the SSOD or Ford Prototype so probably not. In regards to the Wah....I had no interest as I am Crybaby user (my preference).

"Came clean" makes it sound like it was his choice. IIRC, he fought tooth and nail about it until the truth became beyond undeniable. There were threads on several forums, and photographic evidence from people who took apart the pedal. I wonder if he came clean before or after lawyers became involved and gave him advice?

Last edited:
"Came clean" makes it sound like it was his choice. IIRC, he found tooth and nail about it until the truth became beyond undeniable. There were threads on several forums, and photographic evidence from people who took apart the pedal. I wonder if he came clean before or after lawyers became involved and gave him advice?

Unsure but that would be something great to know. I sure would want to know. Reading the TGP post that HIAR posted earlier - Interesting read!

The axis wah shenanigans is just one of a number of documented instances of a disconnect between vertex and honesty. A little googlefu will give you plenty of reading material.

Saint, I'm sure he is a super nice guy in person & your willingness to defend him based on your encounter is admirable.

I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you.

As you already know, only about 5-10% is usable information. All of the rest is crap!!

The axis wah shenanigans is just one of a number of documented instances of a disconnect between vertex and honesty. A little googlefu will give you plenty of reading material.

Saint, I'm sure he is a super nice guy in person & your willingness to defend him based on your encounter is admirable.

I am not defending him and don't agree with what went on before regarding the wah. I look at it from the perspective of what he did affects my choices. I just wanted to know what others thought about the situation and were their judgments based off what they read vs. actually trying his products.

I don't see the problem with his wah. There's a very expensive wah on the market now where the builder admits on film he took, tinkered with it, and put his name on it.
Somebody took apart some Axis wahs and found that they were completely 100% stock BBE wahs, no mods outside of goop. All he did was relabel them and double the price.

"Came clean" makes it sound like it was his choice. IIRC, he fought tooth and nail about it until the truth became beyond undeniable. There were threads on several forums, and photographic evidence from people who took apart the pedal. I wonder if he came clean before or after lawyers became involved and gave him advice?
It basically became a parking lot beatdown before he "came clean". I mean, Joe Bonamassa even talked smack about him, and he seems pretty hard to piss off. Pete Thorn was also not pleased and pulled some videos.

He was also rebranding a BOSS volume pedal which turned out to be unmodified beyond labeling.

To repeat ad nauseum what others have said, there are so many nice, honest, straight up people making pedals out there, I'd rather support them before I give money to this assbag. Brian Wampler needs my money before Mason does.

He was also rebranding a BOSS volume pedal which turned out to be unmodified beyond labeling.

To repeat ad nauseum what others have said, there are so many nice, honest, straight up people making pedals out there, I'd rather support them before I give money to this assbag. Brian Wampler needs my money before Mason does.

Brian has gotten my money way before Mason. Proud of my Wamplers!

Back